Poll: What do you do for BBQs?

Options
Do you just count up food that is there, bring your own food, or just let yourself eat whatever?

I'm bringing food, but then wondering if for a side dish/chips I should just have some of what they ave there, or bring my own side as well.

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I bring some of my own depending on what they have though I let the person know in advance, but this is due to a food allergy that is frequently in hot dogs various chips the drinks etc. Or the option is to allow yourself a cheat day keep it tracked and in moderation of course but cheat and offer to bring a veggie plate and maybe some vegetables that can be tossed on the grill.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I hate BBQs so I lie and say I can't make it.

Then I stay in the air conditioning and maybe cook breakfast with my husband or order up some Thai food.

If I really like the host of the BBQ I will let them know I can't make it until late in the night if there's a bonfire and S'mores.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    This is a question that I'd answer without regard to my calorie / macro goals -- I'd let the appropriate social / cultural norms control.

Is it a few friends with one hosting who is preparing a special dish? Is it a larger get together where everyone is encouraged to bring something to throw on the BBQ and / or bring a side? Is it a work / volunteer event sort of thing? Is it a large public gathering / holiday celebration or something? Different answers for all.

Barring a serious allergy or some other concern, I'd go with the flow and just manage my choices and portions. It's been my experience that someone fretting and focusing on nutrition and weight management to the point of wanting to have their own "special food" at some of these types of gatherings can come across as awkward.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    actually going to one today. we didn't have to bring anything, but I decided to make potato salad, deviled eggs, pickle rollups and mini apple brie quiches. The potato salad has 50 cal per serving (1/2 c). The deviled eggs have 90 cal per 2 halves... pickle rollups (with ham and fat free cream cheese) have about 35 cal or so for a huge pickle and apple brie quiches have 30 cals per quiche. We'll be having grilled chicken....

I'll be having a few glasses of wine, which I mix with flavored sparkling water or diet sierra mist....

It's called planning ahead of time. I searched the internet for low cal/ low fat variations and found great recipes. No one will know that i used fat free mayo, plain greek yogurt, fat free cream cheese as substitutes.... :-)
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    Options

Then I stay in the air conditioning and maybe cook breakfast with my husband or order up some Thai food.

If I really like the host of the BBQ I will let them know I can't make it until late in the night if there's a bonfire and S'mores.

Oh wow, this is totally me... haha...
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I would bring something to share that is healthy and then hopefully between that and whatever is there I can get an idea of what I am eating calorie-wise. At worst I could eat my healthy thing and just have small portions of everything else. I am not a big meat-eater (just not a big fan of many meats flavor-wise) but I LOVE the smell of a good bbq. Most people understand when I don't really eat the unhealthy stuff that I am just not that into most of it - so either I am lucky to know a lot of understanding people, or most people just don't care what you eat, they are more interested in you being there and enjoying your company.
  • orangpeel757
    orangpeel757 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'll usually bring a dish of my own if it's ok with whoever is throwing the BBQ. If I have some idea of what will be served, like hamburgers, potato salad, or BBQ chicken, I'll try to account for the foods I know I'll probably eat ahead of time. I may not know every ingredient in each dish, but I can take small portions of these at the BBQ and make a reasonable guess using similar foods from the food database. This will give me some idea of what I'll be eating. If I see something at the BBQ I really want, then I will indulge myself with a small sampling without being hard on myself and record it when I get home.I also suggest joining in or starting up a game of football/soccer/basketball because it's a chance to burn off some calories while having fun.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Last one I went to (last week) I brought a big bowl of homemade guacamole with blue chips and a bottle of ouzo!
    Both went over very well!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Oh wow, this is totally me... haha...

;-) I meant no disrespect to the OP...I'm usually very sincere in my responses but...yeah
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I always think it's kind of funny that so many people think grilling up some burgers or chicken or whatever and eating some potato salad is unhealthy....

When I go to a cookout or hosting, I eat burgers or chicken or whatever...and I eat the potato salad and baked beans, etc. When you can look at your diet as a whole you realize that these things can easily be a part of a healthy and well balanced diet...even chips.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Well honestly if i'm invited to a barbeque I lift the ever loving **** out of the weights before I go and hope all the protein goes straight to my muscles.
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I will eat a salad or something before I go and have small portions of whatever is being served
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,051 Member
    Options
    If I go to a BBQ I treat it the same as any other eating out experience - that is, I estimate my portion sizes, pick healthier options if possible, skip the extras like garlic bread, pick the closet thing in the data base, guestimate the total, log the guestimate, move on.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Eat it. Wash it down with a beer. It won't kill you.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I bring some of my own depending on what they have though I let the person know in advance, but this is due to a food allergy that is frequently in hot dogs various chips the drinks etc. Or the option is to allow yourself a cheat day keep it tracked and in moderation of course but cheat and offer to bring a veggie plate and maybe some vegetables that can be tossed on the grill.

I bring my own as well, due to dietary/illness needs. If i'm able to consume something there though, i let myself have a treat! Why not? Everything is okay, in moderation. :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I. Eat. The. Foodz. :bigsmile:

And enjoy myself!! :drinker:

It's part of life!!

ETA: Moderation.
  • AshleyLeelette
    AshleyLeelette Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Looking to the responses, I'd first have to ask how restrictive you're being in general on a day to day basis. Then, impliment all these awesome suggestions! Haha. I'd say, have a small meal a little before you go, one within your caloric limits (without exceeding what you have left, of course. Gotta save SOME room! Bring a side dish that you wouldn't mind snacking on yourself, if other options don't seem fitting. Then, find the protein with the least consequence, make yourself a nice easy plate, enjoy leisurely and have a mingling, relaxing, entertaining time with your friends! Drink TONS of water too, assuming your comfortable enough to excuse yourself to the restroom when needed.
  • shanesemathis
    shanesemathis Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    No matter what anyone says, BBQ's can be kind of scary because there's usually a schmorgus board of food there, deserts and alcohol included. The best thing to do is eat and enjoy yourself in moderation. I weigh myself once a week on the same day every week, so for me, if I have a day where I'm at a BBQ (don't know how many cals I consumed), ate a few more uncounted calories than I should have, and so on, I will do a decent deficit (maybe 100-200 cals per day) for the rest of the week leading up to my weigh in day. I've recently gone to a BBQ one day and done my deficits for the rest of the week, and still lost about 2-3 lbs in that week. BBQs are offsetting but doable!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I love bbq's and think there are dozens of things that are almost always available that fit our macros perfectly. Maybe the younger crowd sticks with burgers, wings , hot dogs and beer but is older folk tend to slap on some steaks , chicken and veggie kabobs. Baked potatoes are a staple as well and salads.

Sure there are always snacks, booze and deserts available in which case you can either skip them completely and proudly state that you can't eat it cause you have a stomach ache or just exert some self control. One BBQ a week shouldn't derail you and if be lying if I didn't say I never blew my caloric count for the day at one BBQ but it is so important to get right back in track. It can be extremely empowering to slip up and then decide to move on. How awesome does it feel to have a crappy day but then work harder the next and still see positive results ?

Or say you are sick! That works too Lol
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    And for alcohol one thing I recently did was switch from rum, rye and beer to gin or vodka. The clear alcohols have less cals and I take them with diet 7/up or club soda. I can pour a real weak shot since it's colourless anyway then I refill with water and ensure that I'm hydrated and not sipping on alcohol all night. Also I've hear the clear alcohols are lower in cals to begin with so that helps. Course if you love your beer..... I guess your on your own there :)

Have fun