Quest candy bars.

Options

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I'm eh on the cookies and cream one. I just tried it yesterday. It was edible, but I prefer some of the other flavors: cookie dough, white chocolate raspberry, and the brownie one.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    They're no snickers but they are the nicest protein bars I've tasted - good fibre count too. They're hard to get here and quite expensive though :(
  • sari_manion
    Options
    I actually think they taste disgusting...hate them. :(
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I was a bigger fan of them until I actually calculated the macros on them and the calories listed on the label are way off. Most bars average around 240 calories, so not really the great calorie saver "treat" I once thought they were.

Take cookies and cream just as an example since its the new craze:
    Labeled Calories: 180

Macro Breakdown--> protein: 21g (21 X 4 = 84), Fat: 7g (7 X 9 =63), Carbs: 22 (22 X 4 =88)

84 + 63 + 88 = 235 Calories, not 180 that’s a discrepancy of 55 calories, yes this occurs will a lot of our American food products because technically fiber calories are subtractable but this has turned me off from the brand completely. I guess I'm just glad I always count macros and not calories.

Why have I never thought to do this? Anyone know any that are a bit better?
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Try the Life Choice bars. 20g protein and 190 calories. (varies slightly by flavor) You can get them at Walmart for less than $4 for a box of 5.

I eat at least one Chocolate Mint (unlike most bars, they use actual chocolate rather than carob which I can't stand) every day, and my wife loves Peanut Butter Extreme and has them for breakfast. There are a ton of flavors, but those are our personal favorites.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    First of all, they aren't candy bars. They are protein bars.

I personally think they are disgusting. The texture is horrible. And they make me feel sick to my stomach because of the whey protein.

No, these are candy treats, a protein bar will have more protein than carbs. ;)

That's ok though, you call them what you want. :)

You realize those carbs are fiber though, right? Many countries don't even list fiber as a carb on the label, but because we do here you conclude these are candy bars due to their high fiber content? I suppose by your logic brussel's sprouts are actually candy because they have more fiber than protein.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    First of all, they aren't candy bars. They are protein bars.

I personally think they are disgusting. The texture is horrible. And they make me feel sick to my stomach because of the whey protein.

No, these are candy treats, a protein bar will have more protein than carbs. ;)

That's ok though, you call them what you want. :)

There's 21 g carbs, 21 g protein, and 17 g fiber in the chocolate chip cookie dough Quest bar.

That means there are only 4 g net carbs in the bar. It's a protein bar. If calling it a "candy treat" makes you feel better, by all means...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Why have I never thought to do this? Anyone know any that are a bit better?

That's what I've wondered. Are there any better? Can they legitimately be much better than this without a ton of foodscience being poured into them?

I make a few protein energy balls with a date base, but they're firmly within the candy realm, having 2 carbs to 1 protein. I;m thinking of toying around with a dehydrated cottage cheese mash.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    There's 21 g carbs, 21 g protein, and 17 g fiber in the chocolate chip cookie dough Quest bar.
    Exactly my point. That's a ton of carbs for a "protein bar".
  • FitMelody4Life
    FitMelody4Life Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    No problem, I just think it needs to be known, glad I could shed some light on things. It’s just aggravating someone like me can gain weight REALLY easily so even when I'm maintaining I track everything I eat. I am also a slow loser and secret "hidden, no-counted" calories started to cause weight loss plateaus. Also consider things like sugar substitute and PAM, they are NOT calorie free. They are however allowed to claim calorie free based on the serving size (PAM's serving size is 1/3 second spray, who uses that little?) The FDA considers the calories negligible but say you spray PAM on your pans for 3 meals, use maybe 5 packets of sweetener and eat a Quest Bar and BAM! You just added around 100 calories you don’t even know about! Do that 7 days a week, add in a few extras on the weekends because you have done so good with your tracking; You think you are doing everything right but then you stall...sometimes maybe you are doing everything right but you don’t have all the information in front of you, ugh... off my soapbox now just frustrated with food companies.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

You are failing to see that there are only 4 g NET CARBS in the bar.

You must not know how to calculate net carbs… So I'll teach you… total carbs - fiber = net carbs.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options

Macro Breakdown--> protein: 21g (21 X 4 = 84), Fat: 7g (7 X 9 =63), Carbs: 22 (22 X 4 =88)

What is all this stuff?? I'm learning macros now, so I'm not getting where you got the 4, 9, and 4 numbers?? Can ya help me out? Thanks.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

What is all this stuff?? I'm learning macros now, so I'm not getting where you got the 4, 9, and 4 numbers?? Can ya help me out? Thanks.

1 g protein has 4 calories
    1 g fat has 9 calories
    1 g carbs has 4 calories
  • FitMelody4Life
    FitMelody4Life Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Protein and Carbs are 4 calories per gram, Fat is 9 Calories per gram
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    They are delicious!!! I have one every morning as a snack before lunch. I get them from GNC, they usually have a Buy 3 get 1 free deal going on.
  • Flyersteve18
    Flyersteve18 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I eat the cookies and cream kind each day. They are soooo good, even when you don't heat them up. I also eat the Met-RX Big 100 Choco Chip Cookie Dough bar and they taste awesome too.
  • Erilynn93
    Erilynn93 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Taste great, but expensive.

Is $2.49 really expensive?

Yes, to some of us. They go for 35 bucks for a box of 12 where I live. It's ridiculous. However, I've only ever gone to buy some once, and the only flavor out of the four I chose that I LOVED was the cookie dough one (because when cold, it tastes like real cookie dough, haha). I'd personally only ever buy them if super cheap.

I also buy pure protein bars, as someone mentioned above. I think they're pretty decent, as well.
  • jelkins2000
    jelkins2000 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like them a lot and typically eat one every day. I buy a full box of the cookie dough, and then for a variety I'll pick up a few extra of different flavors. I like the Lemon and the Strawberry Cheesecake. They can make a good dessert after dinner. Wish they were cheaper, but they help me stay on my diet so they're worth the price.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Those things any good? Looks like a 1:1 protein to carb ratio.

How is the taste? Digestability? Looking at these right now.
    http://www.questnutrition.com/protein-bars/cookies-and-cream/?type=box

Yes, very.

Put on wax paper and in microwave for ~12 sec. Enjoy
  • NoXCuses4me
    Options

You are failing to see that there are only 4 g NET CARBS in the bar.

You must not know how to calculate net carbs… So I'll teach you… total carbs - fiber = net carbs.

This! hahahaha!

The cinnamon ones taste like an oatmeal cookie. The Coconut cashew is great too, and so is the apple pie. The double chocolate chunk is also very good, and the cookie dough? YUM!