How to break down a recipe?

Options
eric5577
eric5577 Posts: 65 Member
Hello there.....

So I like to make a big thing of ground Turkey and beans. I eat it over a few days, esp when I am working and I make it at least once a week. However, I am having a hard time breaking it down to how many Cal in a serving, I usualy eat 1.5 cups for dinner. So how does one go about this?? I use:

Member's Market Ground Turkey (Sams Club): 4oz =160cal. 2.5lb total.
Red Kidney Beans: 1/2c = 90cal. 3.5 servings a can
Chick Peas: 1/2c= 100cal. 3.5 servings per can
Black Beans: 1/2c= 110cal. 3.5 Servings per can

I add all of these with some spices and cook it all at once....so anyone know how to break this down, or tell me how to do it?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Put all of the ingredients into the recipe builder along with the number of servings you get out of it.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Plug it all into the recipe calculator on this site. Either weigh it, or measure out how much is in the total recipe, then divide that by what you usually have for a serving. That should give you the calorie total per serving.
  • eric5577
    Options
    OK thanks...Just need to see how many servings we get now when I make it next.....Thanks!
  • Delquin
    Delquin Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Turkey is 1600 cals total
    red beans is 315
    chick peas is 350
    black beans is 385

So the total calories you have for the entire dish is 2650. I don't know the entire volume of food that you've made, but a simple way to figure out calories is to figure out how many meals it takes you to eat this. Just taking a best guess, do you get 9 servings out of it? Then it would be around 295 calories per serving.
  • eric5577
    Options
    Turkey is 1600 cals total
    red beans is 315
    chick peas is 350
    black beans is 385

So the total calories you have for the entire dish is 2650. I don't know the entire volume of food that you've made, but a simple way to figure out calories is to figure out how many meals it takes you to eat this. Just taking a best guess, do you get 9 servings out of it? Then it would be around 295 calories per serving.

Ya know, I am not sure how many meals I get. I usualy use 1cup to scoop it out. I actually took 4 cups with me today, not going to eat it all, but I still prob had another 6 cups left, and we ate some the other night. I would not be shocked if it was close to 12 servings. It makes an awfull lot, and 1 cup is not that big...I should wait till I make it next so I can actually start fresh and measure it out to see how many servings I ger per 1cup.