Firefighter Training! Need help to be ready for it!!

Options
Hello everyone!! I am trying to be a firefighter but I have to pass some sort of strength test first before I can get in the recruit program. Any suggestions on workouts that I should do? I know it will involve lots of strength training but I don't know where to begin. I will join a gym next month but I have all sorts of videos at home and have P90X too. I'd like some input from firefighters and from anyone who wants to comment too. I need to pass the entry test and I believe it is between 3-6 months away. My diary is also open if you guys want to recommend any changes in my eating habits. THANKS IN ADVANCE AND HAPPY WEEKEND :)

Replies

• ncrugbyprop
    ncrugbyprop Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You need to find out what the requirements are for your department's CPAT. Two of my buddies are firemen and we trained together trying to get them ready for the academy. Lifting focus was on squats, dead lifts, overhead press, bent rows. You are going to want to spend a lot of time climbing stairs. Climbs stairs all the time. Let me repeat, all the time. Then add a weighted vest and climb more stairs.

Once you find out what the requirements are, train specifically for them, i.e. dummy drag, charged line pull, ladder raise & extension, ladder climb, weighted stair climb ceiling breech etc.

Good luck to you.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Lots of bodyweight movements. and running. Running stairs a lot, and with weight if you can. Running towers in gear adds about 20 pounds min. See if your department has a video for the PAT and go from there
  • eric5577
    eric5577 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You need to find out what the requirements are for your department's CPAT. Two of my buddies are firemen and we trained together trying to get them ready for the academy. Lifting focus was on squats, dead lifts, overhead press, bent rows. You are going to want to spend a lot of time climbing stairs. Climbs stairs all the time. Let me repeat, all the time. Then add a weighted vest and climb more stairs.

Once you find out what the requirements are, train specifically for them, i.e. dummy drag, charged line pull, ladder raise & extension, ladder climb, weighted stair climb ceiling breech etc.

Good luck to you.

This right here!!!! I will add to his...stairs and more stairs. That is where they get people. Like he said, find out what your test looks like first. I know where I live, we were alloewed to do a practice test to see what we needed passing on. I actually used the stair master at the end of my gym time till I was completly done!! It helped a lot on those stairs. Your going to need some leg strength, esp pulling that dummy across the finish line. I am 6'2 and a big guy and at the end of the test I could not even walk and I trained for 3 months...Good luck!!!