How are you making your holidays healthier??

Options
FitJoani
FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
From now till any winter holiday you celbrate how are you makiing them healthier? I MUIST do the real cookie thing...thats the only thing. I find that with the real butter and sugar and what not in it I eat less and they come out better. I tried a fat free pumpkin cake one year and even after culinary school and working as a pastry apprentence(on my externship) it was NASTY!!!! but as for everything else...I am just a big fan of veggies and turkey in general. I am making stuffing but just basically for the whole thanksgiving feel...but it is just a tiny portion of it anyways. I dont eat mashed potatoes so I dont have to worry about those. I have my pan seared brussel sprouts(dont hate). Garlic roasted yams and squash, REAL as in Fresh ingredients Green bean casserole-none of the canned icky stuff. Of Course my super yummy organic-less sugar-cranberry sauce. There will be NO gravy. I don't eat it, don't like the texture...but my way is tons of veggies and lean protien!!!!

Replies

• Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried cauliflower "mashed potatoes"?
  • FitJoani
    Options
    I never have. I like cauliflower but it is the texture of the "mashed' that I cant get over. I may have a little bit to just make my dad not feel bad. but the whole musy food thing is completely unapplealing to me. I make pureed meals for dementia residents and mashers are a large part of it. I assosiate those with not being able to eat normally....
  • AshleyMarieDag
    AshleyMarieDag Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To make my mashed potatoes a little healthier I do half potatoes and half cauliflower. I like it so much this is how I always make them now!
  • Claudia007
    Options
    I never have. I like cauliflower but it is the texture of the "mashed' that I cant get over. I may have a little bit to just make my dad not feel bad. but the whole musy food thing is completely unapplealing to me. I make pureed meals for dementia residents and mashers are a large part of it. I assosiate those with not being able to eat normally....

It funny you say that because my step-son completely GAGS on mashed potatoes! he'll eat them prepared anyother way excepted mashed!
  • Shawna_831
    Options
    To be honest, the only thing I'll change is how much I eat. I will not change anything I cook or bake at all. I love this time of year and it only comes around once (twice if you count xmas). :drinker:
  • Claudia007
    Options
    To make my mashed potatoes a little healthier I do half potatoes and half cauliflower. I like it so much this is how I always make them now!

That's a great idea! I have a recipe from Hungry Girl that I've been wanting to try. It calls for 3 cups cauliflower and 1 potato and has 82 cals for only 2/3 a cup.
  • FitJoani
    Options

It funny you say that because my step-son completely GAGS on mashed potatoes! he'll eat them prepared anyother way excepted mashed!
    I can see WHY!!! Applesauce, Regular cranberry sauce, pudding all of these things make me cringe
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I am eating whatever I want. Just watching portions.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I am eating whatever I want.
    whistle.gif