Avacado, Beans and Nuts....told to stay away

Options
eric5577
eric5577 Posts: 65 Member
My wife was told by a nutrionist to not eat avacados (she pretty much told her to never eat this), beans (black, kidney, chic peas), and nuts (almonds, walnuts)....and esp trail mix. Now, I love avacado, and thought it was a supper food, same with beans.....why would she say this? She claims the "fat" out weighs any benefits of the food....

Replies

• s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    This sounds like Quack.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Get a new nutritionist.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,489 Member
    Options
    No idea what that nutritionist is talking about, unless she is one that is sold firmly on the low-fat diet to the exclusion of all else. Legumes also are not high in fat, regardless of whether nuts and avocado are.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to avoid any of those foods. And where the heck is she finding fat on black beans?:noway:

Avocado is higher in fat that other fruits, so it makes sense to keep track of how much you're eating. You'd also want to keep track of nuts as they are also fairly high calorie. Trail mix can be anything from very nutritious to candy, so makes sense to keep an eye on the quantities.

But black beans? I'm truly stumped on that one.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    Gotta agree with the quack comment! I am a nurse and am on my way to earning my holistic health and sports nutritionist license & avocados are truly beneficial-in moderation, of course!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    More evidence of how lack the standards are for the title "nutritionist"
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Ridiculous. Be careful of anyone claiming to be a "Nutritionist". There is often no actual qualifications... better off to go to a Registered Dietitian. I myself am a certified Food and Nutrition Manager and I still would not claim to be a Nutritionist, it's often a term that is misleading. Anyway, all of those things are delicious and good for you!!
  • stevee290
    stevee290 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    That is pretty much a list of my favorite things. Get a new nutritionist.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Total load of rubbish. Nuts and avocado in particular are packed with nutrients and fat is not only satiating, but also helps with absorption of vitamins and minerals. I eat both regularly and am quite happily at below 14% bodyfat. Beans can cause issues in terms of digestive issues, but other than that, are also very nutritious and filling and are not even a fatty food! Nutritionists know very little of anything most of the time. Use your own common sense rather than listening to these strangers.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I would heartily disagree.
  • LinOtt
    LinOtt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    That doesnt sound right! I have puposely included all those except for trailmix because you need good fats and fibre for digestion and good skin, must fit in my calorie deficit though.
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been eating all three, in moderation, of course. I'm still losing. I'm happy, too--without happiness I wouldn't stick with this!!
    black bean chili
    muesli with nuts and seeds
    avocado in chopped salad
  • MaidensAndMonsters
    Options
    You body needs some fat to function properly. These are some of the cleanest and most healthful sources of fat. How does she suggest you meet your daily fat intake? French fries? I think her head is up her butt. JMHO!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    The fat outweighs the benefits of beans? As soon as she said that I'd be out the door. Totally, completely, utterly BOGUS! Get her some science.
  • eric5577
    Options
    I agree with all of you. I was totaly shocked at what she said. I almost told her to find a new one, but I bit my tongue. I was just amazed at what she came back with....I agree on the trail mix, but I tend to avoid the one with candy in it. I want to go next time to see what else she has to say.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    My wife was told by a nutrionist to not eat avacados (she pretty much told her to never eat this), beans (black, kidney, chic peas), and nuts (almonds, walnuts)....and esp trail mix. Now, I love avacado, and thought it was a supper food, same with beans.....why would she say this? She claims the "fat" out weighs any benefits of the food....
    Anyone can call himself or herself a nutritionist. Ask a dietician.
  • eric5577
    Options
    Something else the just poped in my head. She said avacado was nothing more than butter, Ill have to ask what exactly she said.......SMH.....:huh:
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Seriously wtf kind of nutritionist is that? She sounds retarded see someone else.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I see that folks are replying that this is rubbish. It is. But I'm not sure why folks are acting like it's a bizarre notion (particularly the nuts and avocado). This was the prevailing logic of many mainstream diets (and what I was taught in nutrition) for many years. For years folks believed that "fat" made you fat. The beans part is probably a weird carb thing. Hell, my sister was told by JENNY CRAIG to avoid avocado and nuts just a couple of years ago. Trail mix? I can see adding a bit of warning. It's very easy to eat 500 calories or more of trail mix in a sitting. It's not a "bad" food at all, just pretty calorically dense.
    Avocados and nuts are great fats. Beans are a great energy source. Trail mix is a nice snack, when carefully measured out.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Your wife needs a new nutritionist.