MFP kept me on track!

Options
curlygirl513
curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
I have had stressors this week involving a friend of mine who is having a serious problem. Among many of my issues, I'm a codependent/adult child in recovery so having boundaries and doing what I could for my friend and taking care of myself and dealing with my compulsive thoughts, keeping my negativity in check, and staying close the the loving Higher Power of my own understanding, and keeping honest with my recovery from compulsive over eating was put to the test.

What is different this time compared with my efforts before using MFP, is that although I got off track a few times this week, I managed to post all the food I ate on my diary. That was huge for me. In my life previous to MFP, when this type of stress happened I would go to a place of eating without any thought other than what feels good in the moment and not soon after doesn't even feel good but I still ate more and more and more.

Like usual, I really didn't want to be accountable when I ate out of stress and off my program this week. But I put on my big girl pants and logged every bit of it in the diary. I have to say it is liberating to be accountable and to keep track. I'm past shame, blame, and criticism, but that is not enough. I needed to have a tool to look at what I was doing without shame blame and criticism.

Because of the diary, I am able to see what is happening, (way going over on calories and not healthy choices), and I quickly and safely can guide myself back on track.

I was able to do this because I was accountable and instead of hiding from the truth, I logged it in the diary, so it was there to help me. What I add to the mix is that 1. I'm accountable by logging it in. 2. I do not shame, blame, or criticize any of my choices, I just take note and adjust as needed when I am able and ready to do so. and 3. I can easily get back on track with MFP as my tool to see what I eat and keep track.

Before now, I was wondering what would happen when I was triggered to overeat. That's always been my downfall. This current week shows a marked improvement in my ability to regroup and stay accountable. One step at a time, easy does it. I will hit rough spots, but that doesn't have to stop me.

Replies

• Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Congrats for realizing that you didn't have to give up! I am not even close to being successful, but I am so glad that mfp is there for me and you. Take care.
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your kindness.

Giving up never came up for me in the past or now. I don't diet. I never have. I'm not dieting on MFP.

My really serious problem is that I just didn't know how to moderate. I still don't know how on my own. But now I have tools to keep going and to get back on track.

I appreciate you for your encouraging words. :)
  • diggerjcb1966
    Options
    This is so fantastic; well done you! MFP has been my saviour too. I sign in every day just to see how you all are and to keep my head in the right place. I have days I don't log, but that's my choice, and I don't make bad food choices. Every single person on MFP has their own battles to fight, but we are all aiming for the same thing. Keep up the great work; you are an inspiration! Joy xx
  • Frobie
    Frobie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I think that accountability factor is one of the best things about MFP. If you don't know where you're at for the day or what a certain food is worth it is VERY easy for us to put the blinders up and carry on eating whatever is in front of us.

I hope this coming week is less stressful for you :)
  • hilaria81
    hilaria81 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That's such a good description of why MFP is helpful! It's reined me in on a lot of close-to-out-of-control moments, for sure.
  • SLegere76
    SLegere76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    MFP app is awesome. I have tried many times to lose weight and never had the kind of success I have had since adding the MFP App to my tool kit. Along with MapMyWalk I have successfully lost 35 pounds over the past 12 weeks and will be continuing on. Focusing on being active, doing daily walks, added in group calisthenics class and the weight keeps dropping off. It is still a matter of many small choices each day but with these tools available this time seems very different. Keep up your progress and keep fighting to become an active, healthy person.

If you have a Fleet Feet sports store near you look them up - they have a lot of great community programs. I have joined their 12 week Tons of Fun weight loss challenge along with their 6 week, twice a week, UrbanFIT calisthenics program. Great programs focused less on dieting and more on how to make healthy choices in what we eat and how active we are each day. Highly recommend you look them up!!! :happy:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!