anyone out there with MS?

Options
I have been recently diagnosed with MS and am finding weight loss a challenge. I recently purchased an exercise bike so I can exercise and am using this site to track what I am eating. However I have 80 pounds to loose. Is there anyone else out there who has MS? What do you find works for you?

Replies

• jackieg218
    jackieg218 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I do, got diagnosed in 2001. I try to keep my calories about 1200-1300. So far... I am going ok, I would like to drop faster, but.. In time it will all come off I am sure.
    I find walking works well for me. When the foot drop hits, I don't know what I will do. Lol
    Best of luck!!!!

Jackie
  • mommysews67
    mommysews67 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have a serious foot drop - to the extent that I can not walk outside without a cane. I tried it and seriously sprained my ankle (It still hurts and is a bit swollen 2 months later) I did invest in an exercise bike and that is what I am using for exercise now.
  • takethatTM
    takethatTM Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't have MS, but I do have a rare neurological disorder that is similar: transverse myelitis. I have trouble walking due to my spinal cord lesions, and that has just made managing my weight that much harder. I joined MFP to try to track what causes inflammation and to try to remember my successes (and learn from my setbacks). The exercise bike is a good alternative for me, and when I really get motivated water aerobics is awesome. I have serious troubles with heat, so being in the cool pool helps a lot.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    I don't have MS but have peripheral nerve damage following Guillain Barre Syndrome, an autoimmune disease where you attack your nerve cells while fighting off an infection. I have severe foot drop, use orthotics (Boxia ankle brace) and a cane but still fall every 4 to 6 weeks. Currently recovering from a tendon transplant aimed at fixing the nerve damage in one foot.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add that there are plenty of cardio options with foot drop, actually. I normally use the elliptical trainer. But I also feel safe on the rowing machine, stair ergometer and stationary bike.