To do this for life???

I find it so hard staying on track, I just can't imagine doing this for life (which is something I'd have to do if I want to keep the weight off)...

HELP!!!

Replies

• tomee638
    tomee638 Posts: 64
    You need to find a group of people who can keep you motivated and hold you accountable. That has helped the most for me. Also, don't look or even call it a diet. it's not a diet, it's a life changing experience and it needs to be viewed that way if you're hoping to stick with it. Friend request sent, I'd love to hear from you further about your short and long term fitness goals.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    I guess it depends on what you are wanting to accomplish and how you are wanting to get there. Years and years ago when I first started trying to lose weight, it was always just a diet and I would do it for a few months, lose, and then slowly but surely, gain it back. Over time, I have learned that I don't need to diet. It doesn't work. I just need to change my habits. So, that's what I've done. It's not always easy and sometimes it DOES feel like a diet. But I haven't gotten rid of any foods, I haven't stopped anything. I've just gotten better at the little habits. Like, unsweetened tea instead of coke, veggies for a side instead of two really calorie dense ones, smaller portions, more water, etc. I still eat pizza, ice cream, and go out. But all of the little changes over time add up and become habit. I would say I will always have to watch cals because that is how I watch portions, but I won't have to be as strict. When I want to maintain, I already KNOW what to eat and if the scale creeps up, I already KNOW what I have to do... watch those cals/portions! I don't hit the gym, either. I work out some at home and enjoy yard work and all that. So, just staying BUSY is a big one. Like today, I haven't been all that active so I KNEW that I should ride to balance it out some, and I did. You'll get the swing of it as long as you never give up. You may have to get back into routine or get back in gear, but just don't quit. Good luck!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Are you dieting or implementing lifestyle changes?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    I guess it depends on what you are wanting to accomplish and how you are wanting to get there. Years and years ago when I first started trying to lose weight, it was always just a diet and I would do it for a few months, lose, and then slowly but surely, gain it back. Over time, I have learned that I don't need to diet. It doesn't work. I just need to change my habits. So, that's what I've done. It's not always easy and sometimes it DOES feel like a diet. But I haven't gotten rid of any foods, I haven't stopped anything. I've just gotten better at the little habits. Like, unsweetened tea instead of coke, veggies for a side instead of two really calorie dense ones, smaller portions, more water, etc. I still eat pizza, ice cream, and go out. But all of the little changes over time add up and become habit. I would say I will always have to watch cals because that is how I watch portions, but I won't have to be as strict. When I want to maintain, I already KNOW what to eat and if the scale creeps up, I already KNOW what I have to do... watch those cals/portions! I don't hit the gym, either. I work out some at home and enjoy yard work and all that. So, just staying BUSY is a big one. Like today, I haven't been all that active so I KNEW that I should ride to balance it out some, and I did. You'll get the swing of it as long as you never give up. You may have to get back into routine or get back in gear, but just don't quit. Good luck!

all of this. QFT!!
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    [/quote

This says everything I wanted to say so beautifully that it is definitely worth repeating.

Don't give up, find something that inspires you and makes you feel excited to be a part of and doing everyday.....if that feeling disappears don't give up find something else.

Your health is your most treasured asset always try to take the time to live a life that inspires and challenges you in all ways.

Good luck.