Think I finally got it

Options
Jac275
Jac275 Posts: 4 Member
Joined up to MFP a while ago, always thought that the 1200 was what I had to stick to lose any amount of weight, but I was always starving and fell off the wagon, every second day. Just reading some great posts on TDEE, BMR etc and I think it makes sense as to why I was always hungry on 1200. I have a desk job, but i drink a fair amount of coffee, tea and water, so I am always walking to the kitchen and bathroom. I go for a walk at lunch regardless of whether I have to buy my lunch. I walk about 10min each way to my car each day, plus grocery shopping in the afternoons and running around after 2 kids when I get home. So I set my activity level to slightly active which gives me a TDEE of around 1904. I have a fitbit flex which says I am on an average day burning around 1800 calories. Obviously eating 1200 calories a day when it says I need 1904 on a normal day is the reason why I am so hungry and falling off the wagon. So i adjusted my MFP calories to 1500 just then, as my BMR is around 1473. So have I got this completely wrong, or am I finally on the track.

Replies

• turtlez23
    turtlez23 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    That is a really good idea! I have a desk job as well and I had my MFP at 1200. I am always failing because I always get hungry and crave bad foods. I will try adjusting my calories like you. - Thanks
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I don't know your specific stats as far as height weight age etc. but I would say, try it and see what happens. 1200 calories is often too little for people with fairly active lifestyles unless they are very petite. I managed it for a whole two weeks before I nearly took my husbands head off and then drove strait to the grocery store to buy more food :laugh: :laugh: . I now have mine set to well over 2000 calories using TDEE method, but I'm fairly tall and pretty active.
  • Cindyloo01
    Cindyloo01 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I was stuck also. I adjusted mine to 1300 and I have been doing great since then!
    Everyone's bodies burns the calories differently though.
  • turtlez23
    turtlez23 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    What is the TDEE method?
  • Jac275
    Options
    I am 31, 5'4 and 152lb. So not petite. Aside from the walking around alot of the day, I dont really get much more exercise. I am averaging 7 - 10k steps a day just doing that. Its winter here, so once it warms up, I plan on going for a walk in the afternoons, at the moment by the time I finish work, its dark and cold.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    What is the TDEE method?

I used this website (there are others that are similar):
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I plugged in my current information to calculate my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). Depending on how much weight you want to lose you subtract up to 20% off of your TDEE and that is your calorie goal. You do NOT worry about exercise calories as long as you already included our planned exercise for the week in your calculations.

Basically, since I know I will stick with my regular exercise schedule, this method lets me keep the exact same calorie goal every single day. I find it easier to plan and stick to, so that's what I use now. MFP's settings work just as well, I just didn't like having to adjust my calorie intake every day depending on what workout I did.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing as you a couple weeks ago and am having great success! Not only is the scale moving, I just feel better too. I'm also super active and was finding 1200 was setting myself up for failure.

Feel free to friend me if you want - I just changed the settings on my food diary to be view-able by friends.

Good discovery!!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    I am 31, 5'4 and 152lb. So not petite. Aside from the walking around alot of the day, I dont really get much more exercise. I am averaging 7 - 10k steps a day just doing that. Its winter here, so once it warms up, I plan on going for a walk in the afternoons, at the moment by the time I finish work, its dark and cold.

Yup, looking at your numbers I would suggesting eating around 1500 to 1600 calories a day for about a pound a week loss and see if you have an easier time sticking to it with those numbers. Just keep in mind that you'll need to give it time and see how it goes. Also, if you've been eating at 1200 calories (or under) for a while, don't panic if you see a weight gain after upping your calories, it's probably not because you are gaining fat. That may be just water weight and glycogen and it will probably drop back off in a week or two. Give the new plan at least four weeks of solid tracking before you decide if something needs to be adjusted.
  • Jac275
    Options
    I havent been able to stick to 1200 calories for more than a couple of days. I would get hungry and frustrated and give up. It is so much more motivating when I know I can relax a little rather than stressing about what happens after 1200 calories and im starving. 1500 is an achievable number, I would often find that I would just go over the 1200 with dinner, and still be hungry. With an extra 300 calories, thats enough to get me some healthy snacks after dinner so I dont feel like I am restricting myself too much.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    Keeping it sustainable is ultimately the goal. If you haven't seen this yet, spend some time reading the link below. I think it's the best overall summary of how to make fat loss an enjoyable and SUCCESSFUL process.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • tebe0005
    tebe0005 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem- MFP seems to think everyone can live on 1200, and for some reason even with all the right information doesn't bother to try to compute BMR...
    I was STARVING on 1200... I kept exercising just so I could eat back the calories; I was going insane.
    Found out my BMR is 1568 and OMG I'm so much happier and have been able to stay on track :)

So glad you found out and are doing better :)
    Good luck! <3