Question about Intervals

Healthyby30
Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone,

I just started at the gym yesterday and merely walked @ a pace of 3.2 mph for 40 min. What I want to do is intervals though and my question is though..do you increase your incline AND speed? How long should intervals last? Etc..I looked up some info but its so conflicting. I'm looking for people who do intervals to give me answers please. Just curious how to get started doing them!

Thanks a bunch!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    You can do either speed or incline or a combination of both.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Hi everyone,

I just started at the gym yesterday and merely walked @ a pace of 3.2 mph for 40 min. What I want to do is intervals though and my question is though..do you increase your incline AND speed? How long should intervals last? Etc..I looked up some info but its so conflicting. I'm looking for people who do intervals to give me answers please. Just curious how to get started doing them!

Thanks a bunch!!! :flowerforyou:

Interval training - sometimes called Fartlek Training.

What you do is this, you set yourself a time limit for the session - let's say 30 minutes. You warm up - either walking or jogging, slowly - then you get to it, a typical thing could be, jog at 5mph for two minutes, walk for one minutes, jog at 5mph with a small incline for three minutes, walk briskly for two minutes, fast run for one minute, walk for two minutes, jog for two minutes with an incline, keep incline on walk for one minute.....

Basically, do whatever you want, there are no fast and hard rules, run some, walk some, jog some, sometimes with inclines, sometimes not.
  • gates1064
    gates1064 Posts: 41 Member
    You do what ever you want. Just keep moving. I like to start off at about a 3.2-3.5 walk for 5 min at a 2%incline. The treadmill i use has a display of a track so, I like to walk to turns and pick the pace up (5.0mph, 6.0mph , and so on) on the straights each lap. I can get about 3.25 miles done in 45 min. Always have a slight incline as realistically you never are on a flat surface. Good Luck!!
  • My advice for a beginner (on treadmill)....

Each interval:
    Rest Speed 3-4mph for 2 min (brisk walk)
    Work Speed 7-8mph for 30 sec

No incline

8-10 intervals

Then as you get better you can up the speeds.
    This is what I currently do:

Each interval:
    Rest Speed 6mph for 1 minute (light jog)
    Work Speed 9mph for 30 sec

No incline

10 intervals (15 min total)
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Thanks for the tips! I'm not quite running yet (today was second day on treadmill and I have A LOT to lose lol). But I did 2 min intervals, 1.5 min rests. My lowest speed was 3.0 and my lowest incline was 1.5. During the intervals I went up to 3.8 speed and incline of 5. They were varying, building up to that much though but I got a great workout none the less.
This discussion has been closed.