Couch to 5k

Options
Helawat
Helawat Posts: 605 Member
This has been discussed here before but I wanted to reintroduce it to the newbies and others who are interested in running but don't know where to start:

First, I'll start off with a back story:

I was obese in high school. I weighed 177 pounds at my heaviest at the heights of 5'2-5'4. With many other obese teenagers, I hated P.E. class with a passion. I remember running the mile once every week and thought it was the worst thing Imaginable. I would try so hard to run the mile under twenty minutes, it would hurt to breathe and felt sharp, cold pains piercing my chest like a pincushion full of needles grinding into a block of ice. I've hated running ever since.

Currently I weigh 136 and I admire runners and other cardio enthusiasts for their tenacity and endurance. Sure I do 6 hours of cardio a week for over an hour each session; sure I can do Step Aerobics using two risers on each side but I'm still very poor at running.

I started the Couch to 5k program and added the program's Podcasts to my iPod to change that.

I did my first running session today of running and walking intervals (run for a minute, walk for two) and after 35 minutes I was on cloud nine because by the time I finished, I ran/walked three miles. When the Podcast finished, I waited twenty minutes before doing my Step Interval class and had plenty of energy to spare.

So for those who are interested in running but don't know where to start I would suggest the Couch to 5k program- it gives you great direction through your iPod so you don't overexert yourself during running. It's encouraging and I truly pushed my body to the limits.

If you want the Podcasts, search for it through iTunes, it's there!

Here is a link if you're interested:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Replies

• Helawat
    Options
    This has been discussed here before but I wanted to reintroduce it to the newbies and others who are interested in running but don't know where to start:

First, I'll start off with a back story:

I was obese in high school. I weighed 177 pounds at my heaviest at the heights of 5'2-5'4. With many other obese teenagers, I hated P.E. class with a passion. I remember running the mile once every week and thought it was the worst thing Imaginable. I would try so hard to run the mile under twenty minutes, it would hurt to breathe and felt sharp, cold pains piercing my chest like a pincushion full of needles grinding into a block of ice. I've hated running ever since.

Currently I weigh 136 and I admire runners and other cardio enthusiasts for their tenacity and endurance. Sure I do 6 hours of cardio a week for over an hour each session; sure I can do Step Aerobics using two risers on each side but I'm still very poor at running.

I started the Couch to 5k program and added the program's Podcasts to my iPod to change that.

I did my first running session today of running and walking intervals (run for a minute, walk for two) and after 35 minutes I was on cloud nine because by the time I finished, I ran/walked three miles. When the Podcast finished, I waited twenty minutes before doing my Step Interval class and had plenty of energy to spare.

So for those who are interested in running but don't know where to start I would suggest the Couch to 5k program- it gives you great direction through your iPod so you don't overexert yourself during running. It's encouraging and I truly pushed my body to the limits.

If you want the Podcasts, search for it through iTunes, it's there!

Here is a link if you're interested:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    Options
    Cool! I'm a terrible runner. I envy people I see running across town, but for some reason when I try it I get bored and start fixating on how my knees hurt or whatever. I think a pod cast egging me on would keep me focused.
  • GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    Options
    I am the same way! I absolutely hated gym class, being an overweight kid, and absolutely envy people who are able to go for a jog! I tried the couch to 5k program, and it took me a little longer to do each thing, but I was finally getting to a point where I could actually run! Course, then I got busy and now I have to start all over again! Thanks for posting this is reminding me of it! :happy: I don't recall the podcasts thing though, so I'll have to check that out!
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this.

:flowerforyou:
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a modified version since November. I also don't like to run but I know I can do it and I get bored with other cardio and find excuses not to do it. I'll never be one of those skinny guys in the short-shorts running with my i-pod strapped to my arm. I'm more of a treadmill-watch-the-news kind of runner. I am hoping to do a 5K later this year if I can stay healthy.
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    That's so cool! I just downloaded Week One on iTunes and am going to try it tonight. Thanks for posting this.
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    It's an awesome program. :happy: I'm on week 5... which means I'm supposed to do 20 minutes straight, no walking a couple days from now. That'll be the real test of my progress!
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Middle of week 3 for me. I'm amazed at how much my stamina has changed in such a short time. Running 3 minutes straight right now is tough for me, but so far I've been able to reach all the couch to 5K goals. I have my first 5K in July. Hope I'm ready...
  • GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    Options
    That's so cool! I just downloaded Week One on iTunes and am going to try it tonight. Thanks for posting this.

do you have to purchase the iTunes stuff?? What is it? I mean, how does it differ from the chart that they provide on the site?
  • Helawat
    Options
    These are free on iTunes, just download them and upload them to your iPod and you're set.

This is basically the same thing as the chart, but someone is telling you through your iPod when to run, when to walk, when to stretch, etc. This is a lot easier than timing yourself, that I have found.
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad:

The stuff I downloaded on iTunes won't transfer to my cheap-o mp3 player.

I really wanted to start running too.

:sad: :sad: :sad:

Edit: I understand I could start running by myself, but this would just be such an awesome program to try.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    This was a great post at a great time. Spring is a wonderful time to get outside and runor a great time to start on the treadmill - bathsuit weather is almost here!!!! Everything is so bright and cheery and green - hopefully you don't suffer from allergies!! (and those of you in the North - hope the snow has melted! :laugh: :laugh: )

Helawat - this is a fitness and nutrition website - kudos for you for helping newbies and keeping the focus on what we are all here for! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :heart:

Good luck everyone and if you are serious about your running goals - join us in the MFP Runners club!!

:flowerforyou:
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I just did my second workout of week 1 this morning. I am going to have to check out the podcast. I've been using the counter on my watch, but it sounds way more fun to use my ipod.
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    haven't tried but will:flowerforyou:
  • Meriller
    Meriller Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    OMG THANK YOU!!!

I'm so excited about this... I've been doing interval training on the treadmill, but I'm completely intimidated about jogging at length - AND outside! LOL

Silly, I know... but this is exactly what I've been looking for! Guess who's bringing their running shoes to the cottage this weekend???

Thanks Helawat!!! :drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • Heatmiser
    Heatmiser Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just finished downloading everything from ITunes and can't wait to get started. I have needed something like this. Thank you so much for the info. I haven't lost any weight so far and I think this will help. Good luck to everyone trying to do this. I have never seen an overweight runner, so it must work!!:laugh:
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Can I transfer these over to an 8-track?

Seriously, I'm what they call a "late adopter" for new technology. The newest portable music player I have is a Sony Discman. I printed the paper copy and then took the basic idea and modified it for my situation.

I don't worry about distance, I just use the speed and time on the treadmill. I started off very slow with walking for 30 min. I very gradually made the running portions longer and faster.

My goal was always to get to 18 min running at 6.8 mph after warming up. I was there for a few weeks and had to back off due to illness. I've been building back up and was able to run this morning for 15 min @ 6.8, 3 min walking rest, 3 min run @ 6.8.

I should be able to get back to my peak next week!
  • Helawat
    Options
    I'm happy that so many people also discovered this awesome resource. I'm doing my second run today as I wasn't able to do it yesterday. I chose to do weights, cardio kickboxing, and the core classes at my gym instead.

I hope everyone finds success with this program!
  • tschmitt2002
    Options
    I hope your second run went well! I need something for distance running, with a goal of a 1/2 marathon by november. This is wonderful!!!! Thank you so much. Downloading it today.