long cycle rides and calories burned

Options
Yesterday I went for a near enough 3 hour cycle ride. The weather was lovely and I had places I wanted to explore (only recently moved to the area). Question is, I wore my hrm which said I had burned 1980 cals. On top of my 1720 daily goal I couldn't eat that back in a day even going out for dinner last night amd having a 3 course meal!

does anyone else have this issue? I figure I can eat the cals back over the course of the week.

Replies

• corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    If you can't eat 'em, drink 'em. Most liquid calories are going to be empty calories which isn't a problem as long as your solid food choices are decent. Gelled calories are more of the same though those I'm looking into to see if they provide steadier energy than something you can get at a gas station. Fizzy things don't come recommended because of the bloat factor, but Snapple and Gatorade I'll admit look pretty similar from the back.
  • JessXU00
    JessXU00 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a triathlete, so I've done a lot of these long rides. From my experience, I think you're right on to focus on eating them back over the course of the week. It depends if that was a one-time longer effort or if you have additional longer/intense workouts coming soon. If so, then you'll probably feel the need for additional calories moreso than if you're taking rest days/low intensity/short days soon after.

I always found it very easy to make up the deficit with 'bad' foods, but it is harder to do if you focus on good foods. I would just let your natural appetite be your guide. If you want food, eat something good. If not, then don't.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I do long bike rides regularly too, sometimes over 4 hours. I have switched to the TDEE -20% method, which parcels out the calories over the week. This is working better for me than trying to eat almost 2000 extra one day, and then back down the next.