Challenge - 5 to 10 fruit and veggie servings a day!

Options
Anyone want to join a challenge to eat 5 to 10 servings of fruits and vegetables a day? I'm usually pretty good about getting five servings, but healthy diet guidelines are closer to ten servings.

Here are serving guidelines I found from the ADA (American Dietetic Association) -- A serving is one cup of fresh fruit or a half cup of canned fruit. A serving of vegetable is 1/2 c. raw or 1 c. leafy greens.

I'm going to check in at the end of the day w/ how many servings I've eaten of both fruit and veg. Join me! Let's eat healthier!

Replies

• ssanchez2010
    Options
    I'm going to try and take that challenge, I eat no fruits and veggies. Its time to step up and start eating more than just low calorie foods. Even if I don't eat all the servings I will start getting into habit of eating them.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    OK - I'm in - I eat a lot of produce, but still not up to the USRDA! :)
  • rwilson83
    Options
    Hi there,

Was reading your post and wanted to recommend if you don't already have one, consider investing in a juicer. I have found that it is much easier to get in the daily servings. I have added many vegetables while juicing apples and you wouldn't even know they are there. I have the Jack Lalane machine, its a bit of an investment (around $100), but well worth it! Good luck!
  • Fruit4dessert
    Fruit4dessert Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Was reading your post and wanted to recommend if you don't already have one, consider investing in a juicer. I have found that it is much easier to get in the daily servings. I have added many vegetables while juicing apples and you wouldn't even know they are there. I have the Jack Lalane machine, its a bit of an investment (around $100), but well worth it! Good luck!
    I have a juicer, and I like to use it, but remember that you don't get the fiber when you juice your fruit and veg.
  • Fruit4dessert
    Options
    Well, I failed miserably on my first day of this challenge, and I'm the one who started it! Yesterday I ate two servings of fruit, and one serving of vegetables. Boo! I'll do better today - it's Thanksgiving, there's lots of green beans and sweet potatoes to be eaten.

How's everyone else doing?
  • UpToAnyCool
    Options
    Oops - forgot to check in! Hope everyone is doing well!

11/25/2010:
    - frozen peaches
    -1 pear
    -baby carrots
    -brussels sprouts
    -sweet potatoes
    -green beans
    -salad w/ roasted beets
    -pumpkin pie (<==heh heh. not sure if that counts!)

11/26/2010:
    -2 small clementines
    -brussel sprouts
    -salad w/ roasted beets
    -frozen blueberries
    - - - - - - -
    -maybe a macoun for snack later.
  • mtwd65
    mtwd65 Posts: 51
    Options
    I'm in on this too. I need to eat more fruit and veg. I've started ok today with half a banana and some tomato and pea shoots in my eggs at breakfast. Approx 1 serve down!
  • UpToAnyCool
    Options
    pea shoots

nice! i <3 pea shoots! have never thought to have them for breakfast. :love:
    [i usually do a sautee w/ garlic.]
  • mtwd65
    mtwd65 Posts: 51
    Options
    pea shoots

nice! i <3 pea shoots! have never thought to have them for breakfast. :love:
    [i usually do a sautee w/ garlic.]

I just add some halved cherry tomatoes and greens (whatever is in the fridge) to the eggs when I make an omelette, it seems lighter that way.
  • Fruit4dessert
    Options
    Hey, I did well today, at least 1 serving each of:
    steamed broccoli
    sugar snap peas
    green beans
    yams
    acorn squash

For some bizarre reason I didn't eat any fruit today, that hardly ever happens.