Hi, just started my first ever diet

Options
I've never needed a weight loss diet in my life and I still don't but that doesn't mean I'm healthy. For medical reasons I have to cut out fats, sugars and basically have a low GI diet but I also need to maintain my weight (as best I can).

I've joined here so that I can monitor my intake and make sure I eat enough healthy food to keep my calorie intake up. A bit different from most people I know that red number on the calories is good, but on the fats and sugar is bad.

I've been on the diet now for a couple of months and so far I've failed to maintain my weight so it is time to get serious before my 'health diet' causes health problems.

Even though I've only been on it a short time I really feel it if I eat anything high in bad fats like chocolate cake or icecream, I must have felt like that permanently before the problem was found and considered it normal.

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,943 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Welcome to MFP.....I found that the longer I eat healthy foods, the less I crave or want to eat the less healthy stuff (stuff with sugar, fat, and sodium) so I don't feel deprived, just healthy.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • GrandmaCarolyn
    Options
    I am basicly on the same type of diet but for diabetes and weight loss. On a 1600 cal diet I eat 45% carbs, 30 % lean protein and 25% fat. I try to eat whole grain foods which have a nutty taste and chewy texture that I love. Refined foods now taste bland and have a gooey texture that I now dislike. So I eat a lot of bran cereals, oatmeal and whole or cracked wheat bread. Whole fruit and berries such as blackberries, blueberries and raspberries, fresh or frozen without suger are high in fiber and quench my sweet tooth.. Sweet potatoes are better than white. I do use artificial sweeteners with my Registered Dietition's blessing and I don't have side effects. I also used Alli, a fat blocker which is FDA approved and also has my medical doctor's blessing. This diet is very filling and I always feel stuffed. Eating lean meat is a real habit as well as cooking with cooking spray or tefflon, and poaching or broiling. Fish and lean white meat are excellent choices as well as is wild game such as elk or venison which are very low in fat. For instance, an 8oz elk burger at Fuddruckers, whick cooked down to 5 oz, had only 290 calories, 40 gm protein and 13 gm fat making it very healthy, and it tastes just lke beef. Of course you have to add the bun and trimmings. I eliminate mayo cheese and butter and choose catsup mustard and other low cal choices. I don't know why you need to keep fat low. A low cholesterol diet would be different than one for gall bladder problems. So if you are allowed to add healthy fats, add nuts. They add the needed calories and are really good for you. I also used a high protein chocolate shake by Premier for 160 cal, 30 gm protein, 3 gm fat and 5 carb. It tastes great for a bed time snack when I need to add protein and feel stuffed. If I can add fat I eat almonds.
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • mtwd65
    mtwd65 Posts: 51
    Options
    Nuts are a great idea and I do try to have some on hand for snacking throughout the day. I have to keep my carbs down because they just fill me up so my overall calorie intake is too low. I have found the same as you, the diet can be very filling so I have to be very careful to keep up my calorie intake with good fats (fish, nuts, etc).

Hey we all have our struggles, being put on what is normally a weight loss diet 'but don't lose weight' is a real battle.
  • mtwd65
    mtwd65 Posts: 51
    Options
    argh double posting!