Beginning Abs Exercises

Options
Hi Everyone! I need some ideas for some beginning ab-strengthening exercises. At the current time, I am not able to do even one sit-up! I was working with a physical therapist, but I had to quit due to the expense. I have gained a little strength in the past few months from walking, dancing, etc, but I have a long way to go! I would love some ideas for simple exercises to start that do not require equipment. Thank you!

Replies

• McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    if you can get a fitness ball, I highly recommend it. I broke my back when I was 15 and have to do most of my ab exercises on a ball because it reduces the stressors on your back and helps you tone quicker. You can pick up a ball at target for about $10 and it'll change your workout completely. Doing crunches on the ball is easier than situps on the floor and it tones, trust me I have a 6 pack after having a baby!
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Pilates! Get yourself a beginner's pilates DVD or start attending pilates classes at your gym. I had never done a crunch or situp in my life before taking pilates and I noticed a huge difference within a week or two of doing a daily 30min DVD. Pilates also has the added benefit of stretching, which I found helped a lot with my flexibility.
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 579 Member
    Options
  • kngk82
    Options
    I too have the same problem. I am gonna chec into an ab rocket. Hope it helps me out. I have lost 4 inches off my hips in almost 2 months but need to work on abs. So I will try out an ab rock and I can let you know how it works. Good luck
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    So many claim that working out abs is the hardest thing to do, but in my book it is the easiest. There are so many different ways to work your abs that regardless of you fitness level there is always something to do. In addition it is difficult to over train abs and even when you do they come back strong after a day or so rest.

First of all it is important to know that if you overweight no amount of ab exercise is going to give you a flat stomach. That doesn't mean you should not work abs, its just that you should not get disappointed if your belly is soft on the outside. I'm pretty lean but I still have a layer of fat that prevents my abs from looking their best.

Here's a list of beginner ab exercises:

crunches - lying on your back, knees up and feet on the floor, stare at the ceiling with your hands lightly touching your ears and bring your shoulders straight up while focusing on your upper abdominal muscles. After a few days you will just "know" how to do it. You abs should hurt, not your back. If you experience back pain, you are either doing it wrong or you need to give yourself more time to adjust.

Left lifts - This is a good lower ab exercise that should still work the whole area. Lie on your back, hands tucked under you lower back and bring your lift you legs straight up. To make it easier bend your legs as you lift them and fully extend them up as you complete the move.

Twists - grab a light weight or weight ball (or no weight). While standing with the weight held in both hands turn to the left without moving your hips and continuing to look forward. Return to center and repeat to the right side. You can go from left-to-right and back again in one continuous motion. Rinse and repeat until you see a tunnel with a light at then end of it or until it hurts. I do this motion so fast now that I can't count the reps but the obliques (side abs) get a good work out.

Planks - Ah, the dreaded plank. Everyone hates doing it but even the beginner can't be spared from at least trying an easy variation. Get face down on the floor, get up on you elbows and knees and hold your back straight (NO SAGGING!) for as long as you can while contemplating the wonders on pain. If you can do a minute on your elbows and knees, progress to getting up on your elbows and toes, again holding your back straight (you are supposed to be a plank of wood after all!). Two months ago, a minute plank would be an excruciating experience for me, now I have to put a magazine on the floor because I get bored waiting for my abs to give up.

I have to give props to Katie for suggesting the fitness ball (aka yoga ball). Personally, the darn thing just gets in the way so I keep it deflated in the basement. If you have the room the fitness ball is great way to work the entire core.

As for sit-ups, I haven't done a sit-up for years when I learned that there is a risk of straining your back. Sit-ups seem to be making a comeback so maybe the so-called "fitness experts" have changed their minds again. Either way, there are so many other good safe ab exercises that they really aren't needed.

I used to think I needed to work abs everyday but from experimenting I have found that a day off once or twice a week actually helps my abs get stronger than working them everyday. I don't know what the current consensus is but this works for me.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Left [sic] lifts - This is a good lower ab exercise that should still work the whole area. Lie on your back, hands tucked under you lower back and bring your lift you legs straight up. To make it easier bend your legs as you lift them and fully extend them up as you complete the move.

Leg lifts actually work your hip flexxors, not your "lower abs". Ones abs are only used as a secondary muscle if you flex at the point of most resistance. Unfortunately, this is a common misconception. In actuality there is no such thing as the "lower abs". It is simply part of the Rectus Abdominis.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa72.htm
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Left [sic] lifts - This is a good lower ab exercise that should still work the whole area. Lie on your back, hands tucked under you lower back and bring your lift you legs straight up. To make it easier bend your legs as you lift them and fully extend them up as you complete the move.

Leg lifts actually work your hip flexxors, not your "lower abs". Ones abs are only used as a secondary muscle if you flex at the point of most resistance. Unfortunately, this is a common misconception. In actuality there is no such thing as the "lower abs". It is simply part of the Rectus Abdominis.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa72.htm

Well, maybe I want well developed hip flexxors! Seriously though, I stand corrected. I've suspected that left lifts were not working the abs directly but it is a highly recommended exercise. I read one bodybuilder's routine where he exclusively did leg lifts for his ab workout.

Personally, I've always favored crunches but they have gotten bad press as well. I am pretty sure planks are all the rage this year but that may change when another expert tells us that planks and crunches are useless and that we should just do butt clenches.

Thanks for the clarification.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've always favored crunches but they have gotten bad press as well. I am pretty sure planks are all the rage this year but that may change when another expert tells us that planks and crunches are useless and that we should just do butt clenches.

Thanks for the clarification.

No Problem; I enjoy leg lifts too.