help. I cant lose weight :( tried everything

Options
I have no idea whybits so hard for me to lose weight. Ive been on a 1200 calorie diet which 2 of em are protein shakes and ive been going to the gym and working out and doing some bootcamp with no results. Ive dropped soda all I drink is water now. I have no idea what is going on. If anyone can please take a look at my diary its public or add me as a friend plz..

Replies

• mconnaker
    mconnaker Posts: 4
    Options
    Howdy!

Could you tell me a bit about what your daily meals are? Are you drinking sodas, tea or water? When you say 1200 calorie, is this post gym or prior to the gym?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Open your diary
  • joycedomingo1
    Options
    Offhand guess, you are underestimating your calorie intake. If not, go see a doctor. Ruling anything medical, you are probably underestimating your calorie intake.
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I can "hear" the frustration in your message. As I've been told many times, our bodies always tell the tale of our eating. Your diary isn't open. Maybe you are eating more than you think ... Maybe a food scale would help in deciding if your portions are spot on.

Also I personally have to watch my carbs and eat protein with every meal. It's really helped me.

Great luck to you! :smile:
  • kenthepainter
    kenthepainter Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    How long have you been trying to lose weight ?
  • AshleyLeelette
    AshleyLeelette Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to be on the same page about you taking a second look at your food diary. Someone had also commented about perhaps underestimating your caloric intake. I know personally, I've done that many times. I'd say, first check with your doctor and make sure there isn't anything that medically needs to be addressed. Then, make it more of a point to hold yourself accountable throughout the day. You say you stopped drinking soda, and now just water. How much though, are you getting AT least the 8 servings? Really, you should shoot to exceed the water servings, it can only help. Try making things much more protein based, and try working a bit before meals. Wake you metabolism up again, get everything else pumping too, ya know. If you really are doing what you need to be doing, and no health problems, you will be able to fix this. Also, make sure your workouts really are leading to you burning the calories you're taking in. Best of luck!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I have no idea whybits so hard for me to lose weight. Ive been on a 1200 calorie diet which 2 of em are protein shakes and ive been going to the gym and working out and doing some bootcamp with no results. Ive dropped soda all I drink is water now. I have no idea what is going on. If anyone can please take a look at my diary its public or add me as a friend plz..
    Read this until the information sinks in:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

At the most basic level, this is simply a numbers game. If calories in are less than calories out, you lose weight. If you're not losing weight, you're taking in more calories than you need. (Barring some strange metabolic condition, so you should talk with your doctor if that could be a factor. In fact, talk with your doctor to be sure your weight & calorie goals are reasonable & healthy for you.)

Weigh & measure your food, record honestly.
    When you record exercise, realize that MFP overestimates the burn.
    Don't routinely eat back your exercise calories, and if you do, only eat 1/3 to 1/2 of them.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    First impressions (from your post, not being able to see your diary):

- 1200 is a very low calorie level for most people, unless you're very short &/or aiming to be 120 lb.
    Here's a blog post I did about setting goals, including weight & calories: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/setting-goals-667045
    Look at the BMI chart: http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
    Find a weight in the green (healthy) range & multiply that by 10 & there's your calorie goal. I usually recommend aiming for the top green weight, and when you get there see how you feel. Maybe you want to be a little lower, maybe you'll be happy there.

- eat real foods. Even though there may be the same calories, our bodies "feel" them differently if they come from solid food vs. a drink. Basically, we don't register liquid calories.

- describe your workout; could be that you're not using your time/efforts effectively
    I also did a blog post about exercise: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/exercise-667080
    There are 2 basic goals: improve cardiovascular health and build muscle.
    Cardio: swimming, walking, bicycling, elliptical, skiing, running. Do at least 150 min a week. Most effective way to burn calories.
    Weightlifting: read about the difference between building muscle and building endurance. Alternate periods of doing them both. Muscle burns more calories than fat, even at rest, so you want to have it. Eat enough protein to maintain & build muscle.

- getting rid of soda & juice, except as as occasional treat, is very good
  • MKEgal
    Options
    If you can, exercise before breakfast. You've been burning stored carbs all night, so you're closer to digging into your fat for energy.

And one bit of advice which might sound a little strange at first:
    Eat a large breakfast. Ideally, have about half your calories for breakfast, then a small dinner.

This study compared eating a small breakfast, medium lunch, and large dinner, [200, 500, 700 cal]
    with eating a large breakfast, medium lunch, and small dinner [700, 500, 200 cal].
    "The [large breakfast] group showed greater weight loss and waist circumference reduction ... fasting glucose, insulin [&] triglycerides ... decreased significantly to a greater extent in the [large breakfast] group."
    In addition, hunger was less and satiety was greater.
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957
    Full text:
    http://genetics.doctorsonly.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Jakubowicz-at-al-Obesity-2013-oby20460.pdf

"subjects assigned to high caloric intake during breakfast lost significantly more weight than those assigned to high caloric intake during the dinner"
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24467926
    Full text: http://www.tradewindsports.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Nutrient-Timing-and-Obesity-2014.pdf

"data suggest that a low-calorie Mediterranean diet with a higher amount of calories in the first part of the day could establish a greater reduction in fat mass and improved insulin sensitivity than a typical daily diet."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24809437
  • mssstewart
    Options
    I can tell you what's helping me:
    1) Love myself right where I am. This is a process. It will take time. It will not happen over night.
    2) Shift your focus from loosing weight to being HEALTHY. If you focus on being healthy, strong and fit the weightloss will come. For example, try not to think I want to loose 10lbs, think I want to increase my endurance to make it thru Zumba or I want to run a 3k.
    3) Don't be so calorie focused, don't be afraid to eat! 1200 cal is really low. Focus on eating lean protein, and good carbs, (sweet potatoes, quinoa, teff, couscous ect.) I have one serving of carbs with lunch and dinner.
    4) Lift weights! I was scared too lift! and honestly the first couple of weeks I either gained or I stayed the same weight. I was pushed into weights because I was like you...fed up with no results. Now the weight is falling off.
    5) Eat 5 small meals a day. This is a lot of work but I try. I blend a smoothie in the am. snack by 10 something like a apple with cheese or cottage cheese and oranges. Lunch by 1pm. Another snack by 4 and dinner by 7. It's a challenge but this is what keeps your metabolism going.

I agree with everyone else as well. Measure everything. We are usually underestimating our caloric intake. Get checked out by your doctor to make sure this isn't a medical issue. Drink a ton of water. Get enough sleep. Destress as much as you can. I hope this helps!
  • MKEgal
    Options
    Eat 5 small meals a day. This is a lot of work but I try. I blend a smoothie in the am. snack by 10 something like a apple with cheese or cottage cheese and oranges. Lunch by 1pm. Another snack by 4 and dinner by 7. It's a challenge but this is what keeps your metabolism going.
    I'm interested in reading the studies which formed your opinion.
    Please post links to them. (As I've backed up my assertion that eating a large breakfast, medium lunch, and small dinner helps lose weight by giving links to the text of several studies which came to that conclusion.)

Why do you think your metabolism won't keep going if you're not constantly eating?
    (In reality, it keeps plugging right along. You don't die if you miss a meal, or while you sleep.)
    In fact, if you keep feeding it carbs, it's less likely that you'll get to using your fat stores for energy. That's why exercising before breakfast helps burn fat - you've been using glycogen overnight, so your levels are low & you'll get to the fat sooner in the workout.
  • StrugglingtoMove
    StrugglingtoMove Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I had to keep reducing my calorie intake until I started dropping weight. Mine is 1300 calories daily, which means to lose I have to eat under that. I am eating 1000 calories a day, which means being careful of my choices. I eat egg white instead of whole eggs and that saves me 50 calories an egg. Things like that.

Weigh your food for 2 weeks and well as calories. If your calories are good based on your input, perhaps your portion sizes you calculate are off. Just so you know packaged foods can be off by 20%
    Even in restaurants. Be very careful on portions.
  • ShannonS921
    ShannonS921 Posts: 194
    Options
    First impressions (from your post, not being able to see your diary):

- 1200 is a very low calorie level for most people, unless you're very short &/or aiming to be 120 lb.
    Here's a blog post I did about setting goals, including weight & calories: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/setting-goals-667045
    Look at the BMI chart: http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
    Find a weight in the green (healthy) range & multiply that by 10 & there's your calorie goal. I usually recommend aiming for the top green weight, and when you get there see how you feel. Maybe you want to be a little lower, maybe you'll be happy there.

- eat real foods. Even though there may be the same calories, our bodies "feel" them differently if they come from solid food vs. a drink. Basically, we don't register liquid calories.

- describe your workout; could be that you're not using your time/efforts effectively
    I also did a blog post about exercise: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/exercise-667080
    There are 2 basic goals: improve cardiovascular health and build muscle.
    Cardio: swimming, walking, bicycling, elliptical, skiing, running. Do at least 150 min a week. Most effective way to burn calories.
    Weightlifting: read about the difference between building muscle and building endurance. Alternate periods of doing them both. Muscle burns more calories than fat, even at rest, so you want to have it. Eat enough protein to maintain & build muscle.

- getting rid of soda & juice, except as as occasional treat, is very good

^^
  • KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    It is so frustrating when you feel like you are doing all the right things and can't lose. I would be happy to help encourage you in your fitness goals. Add me if you like.
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    have you tried PALEO?
    mark's daily apple .com
    it's a life saver
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to add me if you like. I don't mind supporting you and helping any way I can.
  • moautry
    moautry Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Weight control is NOT a numbers game. Your body is a chemistry lab, not a bank account. Have you tried a carb restricting diet like Atkins? Look into that. Have you lost and gained weight repeatedly? If so you can't eat little enough calories to lose weight anymore. I have been struggling to keep weight off, and low carb is the only thing that works for me anymore.