what have you eaten that surprised you as too calories

Options
coullmom
coullmom Posts: 133 Member
Most times I will check the calories on something before eating it, but I don't always have the time. What is something that you have eaten and added into myfitnesspal after that shocked you as to how many calories it really was?
I had a Marble slab small ice cream yesterday and it was 450 cals.....I honestly thought it was maybe 250! Oh well, went for a huge walk this morning to burn it off.

Replies

• _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I ate a 9bar yesterday that came free with a fitness magazine. It was made of nuts and seeds and half costed with carob. I checked the pack after and it was around 225 calories - and a tiny bar at that ! I think a Mars bar of the same size would have been less cals. Never again;)
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Ice cream cake from Dairy Queen (but really anywhere for that matter). I love the stuff, but got a little depressed to discover a small slice can easily be 600 calories -.- I'll take a bowl of regular ice cream for that!
  • VintageFit
    VintageFit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I actually had the opposite experience two days ago - there was a Ben&Jerry's event where they gave out ice cream, half a tub for everyone (so 250ml).
    I expected it to be a giant treat and ate as little as possible to work around it and then when I logged it... turned out to only be around 300cals! Considering I felt stuffed form so much ice cream it was well worth the small amount of calories.
  • aalbert_82
    aalbert_82 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I made chocolate chip oat cookies. They were small, about 2 inches in diameter and clocked in at 225 calories each! I could have had a whole chocolate bar for 50 cals more. Not worth it! That said I could reduce the sugar and butter without seriously compromising on taste.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I once had a cookie that was 400 calories.

It wasn't even that big.

It was good, though.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    My butterfinger milkshake last night that was 830 calories. It's probably been over a year since I've had a milkshake because I'm not a big fan normally but it sounded good. I don't give two flips about it in the grand scheme of things, but I'm glad that's not something I want as a regular treat! :laugh:
  • SlickDaddyCool
    SlickDaddyCool Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Small frosty - circa 300 cals (get the junior, its only 150 or a small cone at McDonalds also circa 150)
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Most any prepackaged food. Especially the stuff touted as "all natural" or "healthy". It's always shocking to grab a tiny bag of some sort of chip only to discover that there are 12.5 servings of "only" 240 calories each. How many people will really eat just the tiny serving?