My First 5k NSV

Options
Graelwyn75
Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
Ran my first 5k today and I came in as the first female in just under 24 minutes.
Now, this might seem a rather minor nsv but I have COPD, diagnosed at 28 and just 66-68% lung function.
So, I am a little bit proud of myself for this, moreso because I had not run in months and running has only ever been an occasional thing for me.

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    That's a great NSV! YOU GO GIRL!:bigsmile: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic and fast! I can barely do it under 30 minutes!
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Thanks. It was hard going and I would not have got further had it been a 10k lol.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    You did fantastic! So great to see someone overcome a struggle and prove it IS possible! Congrats!
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    You did fantastic! So great to see someone overcome a struggle and prove it IS possible! Congrats!

thankyou :flowerforyou:
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    EvenThatNameIsTaken Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    GREAT job!! You deserve to feel really good about this, enjoy it!
  • getrealgirl
    getrealgirl Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is so inspiring to me! I am on week 2 of Couch 25K and feel like I have no air when I am running! My husband came with me last night and ran beside me and says that I am breathing too shallow. I explained that I am trying to BREATHE period! I don't have asthma or COPD, but I am a cancer survivor and I think the radiation treatment may have affected my lungs. I have a long way to go, but inspiring stories like yours will help me push on!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I said it on your timeline, but that was very impressive. Last year I did a C25K program that began in January, and then I trained for 11 months and you, without really any training at all, still beat me by a minute.

On the other hand, I was 22 years old when you were born! :laugh:

Good job Kate.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Congratulations! That is so inspiring to me! I am on week 2 of Couch 25K and feel like I have no air when I am running! My husband came with me last night and ran beside me and says that I am breathing too shallow. I explained that I am trying to BREATHE period! I don't have asthma or COPD, but I am a cancer survivor and I think the radiation treatment may have affected my lungs. I have a long way to go, but inspiring stories like yours will help me push on!

You will get there. The first time I tried to run outside, I managed only 15 minutes. It is hard. It hurts when I run and I do gasp for breath a lot but I am strong willed and bloody minded and push through. I have a competitive spirit too which helps lol. But yes, I would be lying if I said I love running. Boxing is my main cardio. I am glad you survived cancer. My mother is a cancer survivor too. That in itself shows a strong spirit. Keep working on it.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Awesome job OP!!! That is a fantastic accomplishment!
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    I said it on your timeline, but that was very impressive. Last year I did a C25K program that began in January, and then I trained for 11 months and you, without really any training at all, still beat me by a minute.

On the other hand, I was 22 years old when you were born! :laugh:

Good job Kate.

thanks Hada. I bet you have bigger, stronger legs than me though and certainly better lungs ;) 25 minutes was an excellent time anyway.
  • mammahawk25
    mammahawk25 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    That is pretty impressive! Congratulations on a job well done!
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Thanks.
  • perfectflightisbeingthere
    Options
    Great time - well done! First female home is a great achievement too. I run 4/5 times a week and we would have been mighty close, so it looks like you have a real talent, especially given your health issues. Keep at it, next stop sub 20?
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Great time - well done! First female home is a great achievement too. I run 4/5 times a week and we would have been mighty close, so it looks like you have a real talent, especially given your health issues. Keep at it, next stop sub 20?

Not sure I could ever get that fast, not with hills anyway which there were. But I can certainly strive to get faster in between my cycling and boxing.
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Great pace! Sincere congrats
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!