feel exhausted and no energy after initial workout

Options
All
I am getting tired immediately and feel exhausted and sometime stars starts shining infront of my eyes.
Please suggest do i need to get some energy boosting supplements?

Replies

• blaccoffee
    blaccoffee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Usually that's a sign that you may be pushing your body a bit too hard.

What amount of protein, carbs and fat are you consuming daily? My first suggestion would be to increase your protein and fat intake, then try an energy boosting supplement if all else fails.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/energy-boosters-can-supplements-and-vitamins-help?page=1

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/08/15/foods-that-boost-energy-_n_1779032.html
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Hydration is important too. Make sure that you are drinking enough water during the day.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Definitely make sure you're consuming enough water. Otherwise, being tired after your first workouts is normal, you're pushing your body beyond what it is used to.
  • raveonweb
    raveonweb Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you all for quick reply. Also my muscles start giving me lots of pains specially legs and shoulders.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for quick reply. Also my muscles start giving me lots of pains specially legs and shoulders.
    It will get easier!! Stay hydrated and if you have a lot of muscle pain I find Tylenol or Aleve works well. But after a few weeks you will probably have less pain. Maybe choose lighter weights or dial it back a bit. When I was restarting a workout regime after long periods of inactivity I went really, really hard at first. So much pain! Better to go at a pace you can maintain and build from.
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat a quick snack before. I usually eat a banana and drink a big glass of ice water.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Coconut water has calories but is good for electrolytes and doesn't contain the excess sugar and weird florescent dyes of sports drinks.

You are probably working out too hard.

Web search "target heart rate" and use it to guide how hard to exercise (for your aerobic activities, walk, run, swim, cycle...).
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    besides what other people have stated it could also be a blood pressure issue, especially if you're seeing stars after your workout

we're also assuming that you aren't trying to exercise on very low calories because that would also cause issues
  • CagedBirdSings
    CagedBirdSings Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert but have had my fair share of stuff when exercising. I agree with others that the muscle pains could be hydration issues. Were you very active before you started this routine? You might want to take it slower.

I recently started stepping up my walking time and felt lethargic, so I made sure I had some extra protein at my next meal and that seemed to help. For me, I am not dieting anymore and am working on changing habits, so I'm taking my time to see what works and what doesn't. In the past I have made the mistake of wanting to lose weight fast and furiously and of course couldn't keep up the momentum.

Above all, take care of yourself. The fact that you have stars in front of your eyes and aches and pains could be a sign that you're pushing it or you have some other condition. OH, I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING....I take blood pressure meds and I don't take them right before I exercise because it seems to cause a big drop in my BP and I've gotten dizzy. Just a thought...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    muscle pains could also be not performing exercises properly.

OP simply has not given us enough enough : what's his workout? how long is it? how much is he eating?

so many factors
  • audrast
    audrast Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think everybody here is right on. Track that diet and make sure you are getting enough protein in your diet. Also check on your iron intake. If you have a borderline anemia, you can feel lethargic.
  • raveonweb
    raveonweb Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you all,

I am not working very hard..but started walking and little push ups after a long time.
    want know more about blood pressure? what I need to look for and what need to be controlled ?
    I have noticed my heart beats going very high after 3 sets of pushups and feels like heart will pop out of mybody..
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    There is a lot about you that we don't know, plus most of us are not doctors!

If you don't have the ability to have a doctor check you out and tell you what is safe for your size and your current state of fitness, or even if you do, here are a few other ways to learn how your body responds to exercise.

Take your pulse before you start and after a phase of your workout is completed and write it down. Logging your pulse is a good way to track your progress. The more accustomed you get to the exercise, the less your pulse will increase when you do the same exercise at the same intensity.

Use the "talk test." If you are so out of breath that you cannot talk for more than 30 seconds after stopping an activity, you are working too hard.

Plus what everyone else said about nutrition and hydration.

If your heart starts feeling like it will beat out of your chest, slow down and ask yourself was that a healthy challenge or a scary cliff feeling? Each person perceives exertion in their own way, no one but you knows how you feel.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Please, see your general practitioner asap!
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to your doctor. The shooting star lights you're seeing, combined with the no energy as well as the muscle and joint pain could indicate that your sugars are getting to low during your workout. (it also could indicate that you have a cardiac issue going on. My suggestion would be to make an appointment with your doctor asap and get a routine physical and blood work done. I would also since you are there anyway talk to your doctor about your diet and work out regimen. Good luck.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    All
    I am getting tired immediately and feel exhausted and sometime stars starts shining infront of my eyes.
    Please suggest do i need to get some energy boosting supplements?

Sounds like you aren't eating enough and aren't drinking enough. You may also be exercising too hard.

You could also be experiencing low blood pressure due to seeing stars. But it's likely related to not consuming enough food/water.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    That sort of sounds like dehydration to me. Or possibly hypotension.

Make sure you are getting in lots of water, and also enough sodium. Add a pickle or two to your diet to boost your sodium intake, and see if that helps.
  • trm68
    trm68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Fill in your fitness pal plan. You will need a plan based on health, ( like any existing disabilities, high blood pressure, and so on.) I started a cardio fitness routine off the internet that was so easy I laughed at it til I tried it. I would recommend not going at a ballistic pace which us guys tend to do. Do a very elementary routine for a week till you feel better...Note,,drink plenty of water like 6 or 8 glasses a day. Water keeps your internal organs working like oil to an engine. Eat well, don't go on a starvation workout, it never works correctly. good luck
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    The heart beating so hard suggests that you are either working out too hard for your current level of fitness and need to dial it back, or may have a medical problem--of which there are so many possible causes for your symptoms (almost all easily treated) that it is not worth listing them.

The most likely outcome of a medical visit is they will either say "You're just out of shape" or "Here, take this pill." If the answer is "Take this pill", it is possible that you won't need to take it any more once you lose weight (cholesterol, blood pressure, and diabetes issues sometimes resolve upon weight loss, for example).

Point being there's no need to fear the doctor visit because the diagnosis is likely to be something easily treatable and not immediately life-threatening (the three problems I listed can become life-threatening if left untreated over years).

So it is best to go to the doc promptly, deal with any medical issues, and come home to do your workouts at an appropriate pace for your current level of fitness.

I always suggest people use the target heart rate method (many online places to read about it) to set the intensity of their work-outs. The heart rate method self-adjusts to your current level of fitness and also to how your body is performing on any particular day--the target heart-rate zones won't change, but if you didn't sleep enough last night, or over-trained yesterday, or are fighting off a cold that hasn't set in with symptoms yet, it might take less work-out to reach your target zone. As you become more fit it will take more intensity to reach your zone, and so you'll incrementally adjust your work-out intensity along the way as you become fitter.
  • chrome_princess
    chrome_princess Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Everyone here is right on with the water, eating enough calories/protein, and not pushing yourself too hard.

Also look at how well you are (or aren't) sleeping. Whenever I fatigue out on a weight, my trainer's first question is "what did you eat today?" Second question is, "How did you sleep last night." It all plays a part in how we function.

Last Wednesday night, I got like 4.5 hours of sleep, I didn't up my weight on any of my exercises the next day. In fact, I even went down to lower weights on one. And I attribute it all to not sleeping the night before.