Yard work

Options
So first I picked up the dog poop, then mowed and edged the back yard, then I mowed and edged the front yard. Then I went to town on these two bits of the front yard, the first one about 6' x 14', the second about 3' x 16', both absolutely full of weeds. I grabbed my how, my shovel, and my rake, and two hours later, they are weed-free. I drank about a quart of water while I was doing all this, and just on a lark, I weighed myself when I was done. I weighed 1 lb less than I did this morning. How many calories does anyone think I burned doing all this?

There's no accurate way to log it that I'm aware of.

Replies

• Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Haha, I did a lot of the same stuff today (no digging or weed pulling though). I log the grass mowing as mowing, and if I was pulling weeds and digging, I would log it as "gardening, general". I don't log the dog poop picking, but depending on how long it takes and the size of your yard, and the amount of poop, I guess it could be logged as a slow walk combined with some weight training? :happy:
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I push mow my yard (front, back, side by road) and I usually burn over 500 cal per my heart rate monitor.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I lump it all as gardening. Our dog run isn't all that large, and we only have one dog who uses it now (our Akita was put to sleep last year). No grass, as we don't have a lawn (largely because of the drought), but we do have weeds.
  • my_2_cents
    my_2_cents Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Sorry to tell you, what you lost in weight was water weight. You didn't burn 3500 calories doing yard work.

I did 10 hours of hay baling, only let my fitbit count steps, didn't log any of the hay lifted etc, and that showed that I had burned 4400 calories for the day to that point. Unless you did 10 hours of yard work, you didn't burn off the pound, it was water weight.

I ate some while doing the hay, as well as drinking several lites of water and a bottle of gatorade, and I was still 5 lbs lighter at the end of doing hay than in the morning. I gained 3 lbs back over the next couple of days, so obviously I had been very dehydrated.
  • bradp1979
    bradp1979 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have no doubt it was water weight. I just found it interesting that I sweated out more than a quart of water. Though not surprising, in retrospect; my hat and shirt were mighty damp when I was done.