My wife thinks I am crazy. What do you think?

Options
2»

Replies

• phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    are you trying to compete for the O;ympics?

if not, what's worth more, gaining a couple second or have your wife wonder if you are becoming crazy? (the last one is never a good thing)
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I thought the reason cyclists shaved their legs was to avoid hairy complications with the inevitable road rash from taking a turn too fast and wiping out. I can't imagine it'd affect your time, unless it's some kind of placebo effect! :smile:
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

^^^ Rule 33

And if you have to ask random punters on a website for an answer then...

Rule 5.

Rule 5 is the answer to everything.

Those were hilarious!
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Can't you shave right before a comp then let it grow back?
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I say do what you like. It's your body! :wink:
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    i don't know about cycling, but from my experience in competitive swimming i know it definitely does improve your time getting all that hair out of the way. i knew plenty of men (or, well, boys at that age) who shaved their legs. at the end of the day it's just hair. it'll grow back.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'm not even sure if you would be saving seconds by shaving. For the water a swim cap will get you similar results, and most cyclists I know shave their legs because it makes healing easier if they fall/crash/get scraped up. That being said, there is no harm in giving it a try and seeing if you prefer it for any reason, performance, psychological, or other, anything hair you shave off will surely grow back. My big qualm is maintenance, but I have also not been clean shaven anywhere for 13 years.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    For the minimal affect that this would have, I wouldn't do it if I was Active Military.

Not worth the headache I would have received from my fellow Marines when I was in.

You're Army, though, so it might be okay. Navy? I'd say definitely okay.
  • ChasingMyBliss
    ChasingMyBliss Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    If you are going to do it, be sure that the reasons are your own. You might get reactions about it... good and bad.... but if you are prepared to take the heat, and feel good about the choice, then by all means do it!!! If it gives you a boost then all better.

As for your wife... she can pretend for a couple days that you are a world class athlete, and see how she enjoys trying something new!! :wink:
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I thought the reason cyclists shaved their legs was to avoid hairy complications with the inevitable road rash from taking a turn too fast and wiping out. I can't imagine it'd affect your time, unless it's some kind of placebo effect! :smile:

Competitive cyclists I knew shaved their legs for this reason. Shaving hair around a road rash afterwards to prevent infection would be very painful and hard to do and the scarring afterwards would be worse. I'd also heard that it made pre and post race massages or for when they got a leg cramp to massage out much easier to deal with for the team masseuse.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I agree you're crazy for asking your wife. You're a man. Do what you want. You don't need her approval.

Yeah. You're a Man. Shave your legs.:laugh: :laugh: