Converting fat to muscle (rant)

alantin
alantin Posts: 621 Member
edited September 22 in Chit-Chat
I often see people telling each other that they are probably converting fat to muscle and since muscle weighs more than fat, that's why they are not losing weight according to the scales as much as at some point.

Where does this notion come from? I honestly want to know!

Come on!!! Fat and muscle are two completely different cell types and one doesn't just magically turn to the other, no matter what you do!

Okay. You might say that this is just ranting about semantics and what people really mean is that they are building muscle fast enough to compensate the fat loss. They are, in fact, losing the same as before but this is why they don't see changes on the scale while they can see changes in mirror or "the inches".

Okay..?

So if an average person loses something like 1 pound a week and thats compensated with them building muscle as fast that would mean about 4 pounds of new muscle tissue per month..?

WHERE THE **** DOES THAT COME FROM?????

An average male should realistically be able to build about 0.25 - 0.5 pounds of muscle tissue in a week but under IDEAL circumstances. That means eating plus calorie diet, so something like 300-500 Kcal more than you burn in a day, and a rigorous weight training program designed for muscle gain. So that would mean 1 - 2 pounds of muscle gain in a month if the program is followed consistently and can happen if you're a man. Women don't have the body chemistry for this so they would need to inject male hormones too to get these results!

Gaining muscle is all but a sheer impossibility during weight loss! First law of thermodynamics, anyone? Even the words "weight loss" should tell the story! You LOSE muscle too! You don't gain. The best you can do is minimize the muscle loss with exercise and balanced diet so please stop degrading the efforts others are making! :mad:

Okay.
</rant>

Sorry for the rant. This isn't aimed at anyone personally but just something that has been bugging me for a long time and since there have been other rants, I decided to post my own.. :ohwell: Where does this stuff come from?!

Replies

• Wiitabax
    Wiitabax Posts: 284
    easy! It's based on the following:

"Its what THEY say"

and "I read it somewhere".

Now... hard to define whether or not THEY read it too, or if THEY actually wrote it!

I read LOTS of things though, it's no excuse to accept facts that don't exist, otherwise I'd be off through the wardrobe everyday to Narnia and looking out for zombies and vampires all the time (instead of just part of the time... I'm still a little paranoid).

But if ANYONE says to me "I read somewhere that..."

My brain just shuts down!

It's all fiction anywhere...

or at least that's what THEY say!

:laugh:
  • alantin
    LoL
  • Wiitabax
    Wiitabax Posts: 284
    LoL

Hey... now are you REALLY laughing there... or is that just what THEY told you to put???

• 1fitmama
    1fitmama Posts: 207 Member
    Well, I've always wondered how you can gain a pound of muscle after your first week of working out. :huh:
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Forgive me if this reply comes across as a bit rude. It irks me when someone “rants” about something they clearly don’t understand. To me that is ignorance personified. If you are going to rant, check your facts first.

Fat is absolutely converted to muscle depending on the correct conditions. I’ll explain and post my sources along the way.

Muscle growth comes about because of hypertrophy or hyperplasia.

Hypertrophy is an increase in the size of the muscle due to an increase in the size of the muscle fibers, while hyperplasia is an increase in the number of muscle fibers.

Hypertrophy comes in two forms, sarcomere hypertrophy, an increase in the size of the contractile portion of the muscle; and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, an increase in the non-contractile portion of the muscle. (Robert Libertine Starr, The Biomechanics of Sports Movement in Exercise, 2002 published online)

The process of actual muscle growth is a complex one and involves a large number of biological steps. The good thing is, you don't need to know it all to build some serious muscle. All you need to understand is the basic steps behind it all.

The muscle repair process is the key part in building muscle. Your body begins repairing muscle tissue when you stop putting stress on your muscles, in other words after stopping your workout.

The thing is, your body sees the damage to your muscles as a threat to its survival, so it will rebuild the damaged muscle tissue bigger and stronger than before to protect against future threats (Publisher Unknown, How do Muscles Grow, published online 2007).

The main process to repair the micro-tears begins in earnest at night, once you enter REM state. If you said the correct mantra prior to going to bed (If I may, if I might, please turn my fat to muscle tonight) and leave your window open, this allows for the true process to begin (Tinker & Bell, Fat to Muscle, published 2009). After you enter REM state, storks fly into your room. The storks bear a strong resemblance to the Vlassic spokes person in commercials. They form a semi-circle around your bed (couch, sleeping bag or park bench), join wings (this exact process is known and strictly stated from empirical studies), sway, and mumble softly. Your body emits a soft pink glow (yes pink, so take that you manly-men) and through a process to highly complex to explain, your fat cells convert to muscle fiber. Once the correct ratio of fat to muscle is attained in proportion to your perceived exertion from your exercises, the glow fades and the storks fly out of the room (Eugene Snarfngiggle, Muscle Myths Dispelled – Continuation from I Hate my Parent For Giving Me This Name, published 2005). You wake the next day appreciative of the final results.

I hope this finally puts an end to this discussion. Feel free to cite this as often as you like. Next time I will address the myth, a pound of muscle really does weigh more than a pound of fat, from the book My Pound Weighs More Than Your Pound.
  • alantin
    he main process to repair the micro-tears begins in earnest at night, once you enter REM state. If you said the correct mantra prior to going to bed (If I may, if I might, please turn my fat to muscle tonight) and leave your window open, this allows for the true process to begin (Tinker & Bell, Fat to Muscle, published 2009). After you enter REM state, storks fly into your room. The storks bear a strong resemblance to the Vlassic spokes person in commercials. They form a semi-circle around your bed (couch, sleeping bag or park bench), join wings (this exact process is known and strictly stated from empirical studies), sway, and mumble softly. Your body emits a soft pink glow (yes pink, so take that you manly-men) and through a process to highly complex to explain, your fat cells convert to muscle fiber. Once the correct ratio of fat to muscle is attained in proportion to your perceived exertion from your exercises, the glow fades and the storks fly out of the room (Eugene Snarfngiggle, Muscle Myths Dispelled – Continuation from I Hate my Parent For Giving Me This Name, published 2005). You wake the next day appreciative of the final results.

Okay.
    I'm sorry for my ignorance. Glad to have it finally explained to me!

:smile:
    :tongue:
    :happy:
    :bigsmile:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Binary - You kill me! Love your posts! And I'm soooo glad you finally cleared that up for me. Now I can fire my trainer who obviously doesn't know a thing about this. In fact, I'm going to show him your post. That'll shut him up.

Seriously, dude, step away from the egg nog. :drinker:

• LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    :indifferent: :huh: :noway: :laugh:

hehehhehehhehe:indifferent:
This discussion has been closed.