fresh herbs...

Options
jerber160
jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
I've only just started picking fresh sage, parsley and basil, very small amounts, and adding them to salads. I'm kinda stunned at the difference they make. I don't remember my mom ever doing this. gnom gnom gnom... sadly, my oregano isn't doing well, but I did get to add it to some pizza today..

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    check out thyme (kind of lemony and delicious with eggs!). also you might want to check out a spice shop in your area as they will sometimes have lots of ideas and new yummy spices and herbs to try :happy:

and if you really want to have your mind blown, make some simple sugar but infuse it with fresh mint and lavendar. it's SO GOOD in iced tea!
  • jerber160
    Options
    I didn't think to plant thyme.. I pretty much only use it when I make bahamian rice and peas... and not that often now that I'm dieting. my one sage bush is freaking huge, but my basil isn't doing so well. (like the oregano).. I'm not a minty kind of guy.. I have friends who would break your leg for a mojito, but I'm not one of them... thanks hon.. if I see thyme at the store I'll pick some up.. you put it in omelets?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Basil grows like crazy here, and my beloved and I have a ton of it. I'm trying to get in the habit of chopping some up for everything I cook.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The herbs, red onion, and gorgonzola I put into my salads make them rock.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Thyme like chives super easy to grow in a window box. Just stir up dirt with fingers and pat in the seeds. Lavender and rosemary also great on the patio. Basil needs lots of sun and water and usually good dirt. All the rest grow great in crap dirt because they are weeds in Europe growing beside the road. Thyme is a key ingredient in Herbes de Provence and bouquet garni. 2 seasoning blends used all over France on pretty much everything. Thyme is great in salads, in fact it is the key herb that is used to season....Croutons!! Unlike rosemary and sage it does not dominate but enhances every food like salt and pepper. Broiled salmon, roast chicken , beef stew are fabulous with fresh thyme. Unless you live somewhere super cold in the winter you can pick it all year round. Dried thyme is far more potent and a pinch goes a long way
  • jerber160
    Options
    hmmm window box there's a thought...
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Try some edible flowers next. Borage (actually, the leaves cook up nicely too), nasturtiums, violets, marigolds, dandelion, daylilies, geraniums... They make salads gorgeous and have such delicate flavors.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    basil is so good, esp with lemon!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Rosemary grows easily in some parts of the country and packs a lot of flavor.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I grow lavender, basil, sage, rosemary, mint, oregano, anise hyssop, lemon verbena, and sometimes dill. Remember, the oregano prefers Mediterranean-like growing conditions. Make sure it has lots of sun and do not over water.
  • jerber160
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    Try some edible flowers next. Borage (actually, the leaves cook up nicely too), nasturtiums, violets, marigolds, dandelion, daylilies, geraniums... They make salads gorgeous and have such delicate flavors.
    you know I plant hibiscus every year... and have a few HUGE perennials that come up but have yet to eat them.. or make tea with them

• jerber160
    Options
    and today seems like a great day for stuffed shells. i WISH i could go out back and grab a handful of parsley to toss in..
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Fresh rosemary is my favourite. Great to top chicken and other meats or on pizza (& in the dough).
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have always used dried herbs and spices ever since I started cooking as a teen. The world of flavor without tons of fat and salt has truly opened up since I started using fresh. Last night I added cilantro and lime juice to rice and it was awesome. One of my current favorites is green onions in eggs. Amazing flavor profile. I also added fresh basil to my feta and spinach stuffed chicken a couple nights ago. I think I am going to try a small herb garden this spring. Because if you buy at the store it can get pricey and you have to use them quickly. Since I am just now learning about them I don't use them as quickly yet and I don't want to waste them.
  • jerber160
    Options
    I have always used dried herbs and spices ever since I started cooking as a teen. The world of flavor without tons of fat and salt has truly opened up since I started using fresh. Last night I added cilantro and lime juice to rice and it was awesome. One of my current favorites is green onions in eggs. Amazing flavor profile. I also added fresh basil to my feta and spinach stuffed chicken a couple nights ago. I think I am going to try a small herb garden this spring. Because if you buy at the store it can get pricey and you have to use them quickly. Since I am just now learning about them I don't use them as quickly yet and I don't want to waste them.
    I plant a few. I'm not good at it tho... I planted sage last year for the first time. one bush. I expanded and overshadowed everything around it.. delicious... but I gotta learn about spacing plants...
  • JP_909
    JP_909 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Fresh Maryjane is great year round
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I use thyme in tons of stuff...pretty much every soup or stew I make has it. I also really like dill (so does my cat lol) I use dill with fish, chicken, in salads, sauces. Tarragon is one that most people don't think of but has a really nice licorice flavour (kinda like fennel) it is popular in French cuisine. Some girls keep flowers all over their house. Me? Its pots of fresh herbs lol
  • jerber160
    Options
    JP_909 wrote: »
    Fresh Maryjane is great year round

you'd think that would be contradictory to someone trying to lose weight.
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If you like parsley in your salads, start buying carrots with the green tops on and wash and chop those. They taste like superpowered parsley and are amazing in salads and made into pesto.
  • jerber160
    Options
    really?