Knee problems after quitting Irish Dance

Options
First post, so forgive me if it's sloppy.

Six years ago, I was just over 200 lbs (5'8"), and I started doing Irish dance. I could barely keep up, had to sit out occasionally, and was worried about a history of knee problems. Oddly enough, as I got better at dancing, my knee pain and problems went away. I don't know if it was because there was so much focus on straight legs and strong ankles or what, but for five years, I had few to no problems.

Two years ago (edited), I joined MFP to get control of my diet- I am an emotional eater, and abhor most veggies, so my diet was mostly sugar and refined breads (stupid lactose intolerance cut out a lot of desserts, grumble grumble). I dropped down to around 172, and felt great. It was a little heavier than when I'd longed for, but it felt healthy, so I aimed for maintaining that.

Last year, I had to move for a job opportunity, which fell apart a few months after I settled in. I lost a good chunk of income and decided to go to grad school at night. I have not been able to find an adult Irish dance class that I can afford or fit into my schedule. I tried going to the gym, and taking different dance classes, but it doesn't get me fired up the way Irish dance does, so I've severely lapsed in exercise. My eating is still decent, but the pounds are creeping back, and, more worryingly, so are the knee problems.

I guess my question, then, is this: does it sound plausible that dance can *help* knee pain? Everything I've read about dance talks about the problems it causes in joints, not anything good. Is it more likely just exercise in general that was helping, or could it be some function of specifically Irish dance that made things better? I'm trying to find places I can practice on my own, but it's still not quite the same.

Replies

• castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I guess my question, then, is this: does it sound plausible that dance can *help* knee pain? Everything I've read about dance talks about the problems it causes in joints, not anything good. Is it more likely just exercise in general that was helping, or could it be some function of specifically Irish dance that made things better?

I'm no expert in dance or knees, but it does sound plausible that Irish dance was strengthening muscles in your legs that keep your knees stable, or that the good form you learned may have carried over into your daily activities, or both. Especially since, if I understand your post right, you had danced for several years before changing your diet and losing weight.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Exercise that strengthens your muscles can help joint pain. As you've gotten increasingly sedentary your hip, glute, and other stabilizing muscles have gotten weaker and now your knees are more susceptible to pain/injury.

Take it slow getting back into dancing and do yourself a favor by starting a full body resistance training routine

ETA: common sense applies, of course. If the pain level or instability is high or seems to increase, see a professional to check for structural damage.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Exercise that strengthens your muscles can help joint pain. As you've gotten increasingly sedentary your hip, glute, and other stabilizing muscles have gotten weaker and now your knees are more susceptible to pain/injury.

Take it slow getting back into dancing and do yourself a favor by starting a full body resistance training routine

My experience agrees with this. I found that careful, progressive exercise helped strengthen the muscles and the pain went away.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Well, it's my turn to weigh in on Irish Dance.

Really any dance will slim you down and that will help knee pain.

Precision dance makes you stiffen up and yeah that helps with muscle.

You can get stronger muscles to support your knees many ways. Dance is not the fastest way there, lifting probably is, but dance might be the funnest. For you. Seek out exercise you love and you will be on your way.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

My experience agrees with this. I found that careful, progressive exercise helped strengthen the muscles and the pain went away.
    me too...I thought I would always have knee pain, and it has gone away with exercise...good luck:drinker:
  • Manarelle
    Manarelle Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to pain, and have very poor judgement of when to push through and when to stop. I'll try the resistance training, since my gentleman has the stuff for it already, and keep looking for something that works.

I read somewhere that 6 weeks is a good goal for improving joint pain. Patience is rough, but it beats not being able to walk!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to pain, and have very poor judgement of when to push through and when to stop. I'll try the resistance training, since my gentleman has the stuff for it already, and keep looking for something that works.

I read somewhere that 6 weeks is a good goal for improving joint pain. Patience is rough, but it beats not being able to walk!

If you have poor judgement on when to push through and when to stop, I'd choose strengthening exercises over dance.

The music for me can tend to make me go further just because I like the music and the moves. If the same is true for you I'd focus on strengthening the supporting muscles first as suggested prior. This way once you are doing it to music you will have less chance for injury. Especially on irish dance where the moves are so precise and sharp and you wouldn't want to hurt yourself.

Some people who have answered you medicate themselves heavily so take your time and take thier answers with a grain of salt. They can't say whether they have pain or not since they are always drunk or on something a majority of the time.

Just stick with what works and give yourself the time you need. Don't try to measure your rate of improvement strengthening against anyone else's barometer because not everyone always speaks from a place of truth all of the time. I'd hate to see you give up after 6 weeks and it was gonna start working at week 8 just because someone else says they had successes that are not entirely truthful.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Aqua zumba is curing my knee and hip pains. It used to be that when walking, either the right knee or the left hip would give a sudden sharp pain - and I would have to stop! then proceed carefully until I was able to enlist the right muscles to alleviate the pain and continue. I knew it was mostly due to the poor shape my muscles were in - especially the stability muscles.

I bought a book - Heal your own Hips. Which recommended water exercises to strengthen muscles. So I now go to aqua zumba once a week, and I do it with vigor!! I'm the splashiest, happiest in the class.