Switching to less cardio/ more weights..?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I kind of want to, I just don't want to cut out all cardio. I currently do 60 min of cardio and 20-30 min of weights 6 days a week. Is it possible to continue with this same routine 3 days a week and then 3 days a week I do 30 min of cardio and 60 min of weights…?

Yep. Assuming you're fit enough to do it, and that the lifting program makes sense, nothing wrong with that at all.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    No, cardio does NOT "ruin your muscle fibers".

High volumes of cardio will inhibit one's ability to achieve maximal gains in muscle mass. It does not stop muscle mass gain. And if calorie and protein intakes are adequate, and you are lifting weights, it will not lead to a substantial loss in existing mass either--unless you are really big.

This is another instance of a discussion being skewed by the more extreme perspective. If your goal in maximum mass or maximum power, then, no, you should not be doing a lot of cardio (esp running). But for the average person, you should be able to maintain or even gain some mass even with doing a lot of cardio.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever switched their routine up and cut back on cardio and done more weights? I love love love cardio, so I know this will be hard for me, and I truly don't want to cut out all cardio (I do a 10mile run once a week). I was told that all of the cardio I do is burning my muscle fibers and I should look at lifting weights more.

I kind of want to, I just don't want to cut out all cardio. I currently do 60 min of cardio and 20-30 min of weights 6 days a week. Is it possible to continue with this same routine 3 days a week and then 3 days a week I do 30 min of cardio and 60 min of weights…? or will that still be too much cardio? I do want to build muscle, I'm not trying to be "skinny" I just really love the way I feel after a hard core cardio session so that's why I like doing cardio.

Anyyyy suggestions…? :)

I'm not an expert, but how does doing cardio "burn muscle fibers?" Maybe if you do hours of cardio a day, and are already lean (like under 18% BF for a woman), but otherwise, I don't see how that happens. I know marathoners can lose muscle mass, but again, very lean, and hours of running....
    Am I mistaken?

Top marathoners also actively avoid gaining mass, since the extra weight slows them down, so they aren't really a meaningful comparison.

Triathletes carry more muscle mass and they do at least as much cardio training as marathoners--the high volume of cardio doesn't burn their muscles.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert either and I'm not saying cardio does that. I'm just saying I was told that by a man that works in Golds and has been weight lifting for years. I didn't really know how true that was, that's why I came to the forum

It's not true. Read what Azdak wrote above.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    No, cardio does NOT "ruin your muscle fibers".

High volumes of cardio will inhibit one's ability to achieve maximal gains in muscle mass. It does not stop muscle mass gain. And if calorie and protein intakes are adequate, and you are lifting weights, it will not lead to a substantial loss in existing mass either--unless you are really big.

This is another instance of a discussion being skewed by the more extreme perspective. If your goal in maximum mass or maximum power, then, no, you should not be doing a lot of cardio (esp running). But for the average person, you should be able to maintain or even gain some mass even with doing a lot of cardio.

Thank you for confirming that.
  • Xtine72
    Xtine72 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I was all about cardio every day for an hour (or more) a day. A little more than 3 months ago I switched to 10 min of high intensity cardio a day and 30 min (or less depending on what I'm working) of weight training 4 days a week. The 5th day I do 30 min of cardio (it's actually the 3rd day breaking up the week of workouts). I have noticed a HUGE difference. My body looks better and I feel better without spending my life on the never ending wheel and hours in the gym. I found my routine on www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Yeah, definitely make the switch. It'll improve your body's composition.

That would depend entirely on what her body composition and fitness goals are.

OP wrote she wants to build muscle.

You can build muscle while still having a cardio element to your workouts. 60 minutes of cardio a week will not hamper that goal.

I thought she said 360 minutes of cardio/week...thats the 60min she does for 6 days that is...
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I finished nine weeks of heavy weights/no cardio and calorie surplus. Gained ten pounds but the body fat stayed within 1% of my starting point. Now I am about to switch back to calorie deficit and increased cardio. I won't know for a few weeks how much muscle mass I gained after the body fat is burned off.
  • jasonctyler
    Options
    I went from getting 4-6 hours a week of cardio (Insanity) with 3 hours of weight lifting, to 2-3 hour of cardio and 3 hours of HIIT weight lifting (best of both worlds).

At first when I started doing Insanity my heart rate was really high and I would have to take breaks for it to normalize, but by the end of the 2nd week, I had a hard time getting my heart rate up there. Your body will adapt to just about anything you put it through exercise wise, it is quite the brilliant machine.

My advice is to make the switch. With proper diet, and adequate calorie intake, you could even do both; or a HIIT routine like me to get the best of both worlds.

Remember when beginning to lift weights if it isn't something you've done before...

Concentrate on proper form. It's more about the body mechanics you are lifting with vs. the amount of weight. It doesn't hurt to go to a gym and spend a few sessions with a personal trainer going over form and tempo.

Gradually increase weight. It doesn't matter if you start with 5lb dumbbells or an empty barbell. Heavier is not always better/does not automatically mean better gains.

In my personal opinion, the exercises that have helped me gain the most strength are:

Deadlifting - Great for your lower back and core, works out more muscles than you'd think, I believe it really promotes growth and development in your whole body.

Front/Overhead Squats - Works pretty much the same muscles as a back squat, less stress on the back and knees, and it will test your flexibility and keep it in check. Overhead variation will really test and improve your posture with proper form.

Pull Up - It's a great compound upper body exercise, you can up/alleviate the intensity by using weights or resistance bands, your over all grip strength will go through the roof - especially important for lifting heavier weights.

Military Press/Push Up - I personally feel the standing military press is more effective, it will engage your core like no other. Both exercises will benefit from each other, the latter more so.

Farmer's Walk - Loaded carries are great for overall strength, especially the trapezius and shoulders. It'd definitely be as/if not more effective at improving your grip strength. Best of both worlds really, get your cardio in at the same time.

Battle Ropes - You want a whole body strength and cardio workout? These will be your best friend, and there are a ton of variations on exercises. Never a dull moment.

I also play soccer with my kids, go for bike rides with my wife, and jog by myself. Which pretty much sums up my cardio exclusive exercises.

Either way, if it is what you want to do, then make the switch. Cardio itself isn't bad for you, too much I suppose could be, but balancing it with weight lifting is a great idea. If it's time you're worried about, then develop a HIIT weight lifting routine and do both at the same time.