Sodium in chicken

Options
eric5577
eric5577 Posts: 65 Member
So how much sodium is there in a 12oz skinless chicken breast? I have seen the numbers range from 800 down to 200. What is the average amount? I thought 800 seemed high, but not sure how to fiqure it out, no package to check.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I apologize if this is not helpful but the amount of sodium is going to vary considerably. Even "fresh" chicken breast is injected with water and salt and flavorings. Frozen chicken will have much more. It is going to depend on the brand.

http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/nutrition-101/sodium-in-chicken
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting the chicken? If just from a butcher or a local farm, which is what I usually do, I tend to use the non-asterisk standard USDA entries from MFP. It's chicken, breast (or whatever), raw, meat and skin (or meat only)--that format. That one will probably have less sodium, although if yours came in a package go with that, if you track sodium. I don't, really.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    So how much sodium is there in a 12oz skinless chicken breast? I have seen the numbers range from 800 down to 200. What is the average amount? I thought 800 seemed high, but not sure how to fiqure it out, no package to check.

Eric, are you trying to figure out the sodium before seasoning? One of the seasonings we have here has salt (I don't know if any sauces or rubs have any salt).
  • eric5577
    Options

Eric, are you trying to figure out the sodium before seasoning? One of the seasonings we have here has salt (I don't know if any sauces or rubs have any salt).

Before seasoning. I tend to add my own spices...so many options and results on here. Gets confussing.
  • eric5577
    Options
    Where are you getting the chicken? If just from a butcher or a local farm, which is what I usually do, I tend to use the non-asterisk standard USDA entries from MFP. It's chicken, breast (or whatever), raw, meat and skin (or meat only)--that format. That one will probably have less sodium, although if yours came in a package go with that, if you track sodium. I don't, really.

I try to use meat markets as much as I can, my wife got this from Shaws I think. We buy it, package it, then freeze it. Trying to see what it is alone, so I can add my own seasoning. Add it to my recipes.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

I try to use meat markets as much as I can, my wife got this from Shaws I think. We buy it, package it, then freeze it. Trying to see what it is alone, so I can add my own seasoning. Add it to my recipes.
    Eric;
    Here's what I get (unverified though)
    Sodium doesn't show on my summary but it's 480 in the full listing
    (hope this stays together enough to read when posted

the 120 is cals....follow across using the names in order

Shaws - Chicken Breast, Boneless, Skinless, 4 oz. 120 1 1 4 21 0 0

Cals Net Carb Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sugar
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Based on this I'd just use the standard chicken entry I mentioned. If you cook it before weighing there are options for that too.