Massive Calorie Burns!!

Options
I know everybody says MFP overestimates calories burned, but are people really burning that much?? I'm set at sedentary on MFP and record all exercise throught FitBit. On a really good day I'll burn about 4-450 cals through rowing, walking briskly for about 2 hours and weight lifting. Some friends through who record through MFP are getting between 7-800 calories for going for a walk or cleaning the house! I know people will burn more if they are heavier but I'm no skinny minny at over 200lbs and it amazes me some of these massive burns. Sometimes I feel as though I'm not doing enough or are my counts just more accurate??

How do you record yours?

Replies

• DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    How long do you row and weight lift for? 450 sounds too low to me tbh, unless of course you row extremely slowly and lift 3lb weights!
  • sticky130
    sticky130 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    How long do you row and weight lift for? 450 sounds too low to me tbh, unless of course you row extremely slowly and lift 3lb weights!

I do about 30 minutes rowing, and I started 5x5 stronglifts a few weeks back so for example I'm up to squatting with 60lbs.
  • DR2501
    Options
    Good call on StrongLifts, I'm starting on Saturday.

In that case I would say that 450cals is very low if that includes your 2 hour walk also? Do you have a HRM?
  • sticky130
    Options

In that case I would say that 450cals is very low if that includes your 2 hour walk also? Do you have a HRM?

HRM monitor arrives today!!

I thought that may be the only way to definitively find out. And yes this also includes my 2 hour walk.
  • LynneW1983
    LynneW1983 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    HRM add in the calories you would of burned had you sat down for 2 hours instead of walked for 2 hours. When I walk my dog for an hour I walk 3.5 miles. Some people on my friend list walk 2 miles in same time. So distance is better to go with as faster you go in same time more you burn. Today my HRM says 834 calories for 1 mile walk and 5 mile run. I would need to take off the amount I would burn if u had done nothing for an hour. Do you know your BMR. I burn 60 cal an hour so as my workout was 80 minutes I take off 80 cal. Maybe this is what your fitbit does automatically for you where some HRm don't.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i didnt think HRMs were effective for strength training?
  • sticky130
    Options
    HRM add in the calories you would of burned had you sat down for 2 hours instead of walked for 2 hours. When I walk my dog for an hour I walk 3.5 miles. Some people on my friend list walk 2 miles in same time. So distance is better to go with as faster you go in same time more you burn. Today my HRM says 834 calories for 1 mile walk and 5 mile run. I would need to take off the amount I would burn if u had done nothing for an hour. Do you know your BMR. I burn 60 cal an hour so as my workout was 80 minutes I take off 80 cal. Maybe this is what your fitbit does automatically for you where some HRm don't.

To be honest I'd only use the HRM for the rowing & strength training not the walking bit as that's tracked through my FitBit. I know my BMR, so are you suggesting I just divide that by 24 to find out my hourly rate? (that works out at 70 an hour also taking fat % play)

I didn't realise that it's no good for strength training? My heart rate goes up quite a bit when I do this, takes me 40 mins to complete a session surely it should give me some idea?:ohwell:
  • DR2501
    Options

They will record the calories you burn aerobically during strength training, but they can't tell you how many you burn anaerobically/via raised metabolism.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    When I record my exercise on MFP which is usually a 30min walk at 4-4.5miles an hour and SL 3x5 which takes between 45-60mins it gives me about 450 calories as well...

HRM are not good for Strength training...only steady state cardio.

Those that are recording burns of 800-900 always have me wondering as well...for example 1 hour of zumba...over 800 calories...yah no...

Not sure why mine seem to be bang on to be honest (always have been even when I started), and I know they are pretty accurate because I use TDEE based on my own data and it is pretty bang on too.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

They will record the calories you burn aerobically during strength training, but they can't tell you how many you burn anaerobically/via raised metabolism.

No, because HR is a proxy for calorie consumption the assumptions in the algorithm completely break down. It becomes meaningless in strength training as there are too many variables to account for.
  • LynneW1983
    LynneW1983 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options

To be honest I'd only use the HRM for the rowing & strength training not the walking bit as that's tracked through my FitBit. I know my BMR, so are you suggesting I just divide that by 24 to find out my hourly rate? (that works out at 70 an hour also taking fat % play)

I didn't realise that it's no good for strength training? My heart rate goes up quite a bit when I do this, takes me 40 mins to complete a session surely it should give me some idea?:ohwell:

Yeah when using HRM take off 1/24th of your BMR if your session was 1 hr. Some HRM do this for you so depends on model it should say whether it's gross or net calories. It will give you some idea for strength training but it will be a low estimate as your metabolism will be up for hours after a session. I wouldn't worry about it to much your doing great and working out plenty. If you start losing weight to fast or feel tired and hungry up your calories. Do you measure as sometimes you will lose way more inches than weight strength training.
  • sticky130
    Options

Yeah when using HRM take off 1/24th of your BMR if your session was 1 hr. Some HRM do this for you so depends on model it should say whether it's gross or net calories. It will give you some idea for strength training but it will be a low estimate as your metabolism will be up for hours after a session. I wouldn't worry about it to much your doing great and working out plenty. If you start losing weight to fast or feel tired and hungry up your calories. Do you measure as sometimes you will lose way more inches than weight strength training.

Oh yes! I learnt the hard way about the tape measure (lol) I weigh in once a week now, and every 3-4 weeks get attacked with a tape measure as well :bigsmile:

I must admit with what I've been recording it has been pretty steady and other than the bumpy start with the lifting (lovely retained water) it's been fine since. Just though I'd add in the rowing now a few days a week when I'm not lifting. I go on hols 10th September and I'd like to shift another half stone by then.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It will give you some idea for strength training but it will be a low estimate as your metabolism will be up for hours after a session.

It'll give a significant overestimate, as it can't account for the spikes in heart rate going up to anaerobic range not reflecting the actual calorie consumption. the effect of post exercise oxygen consumption is negligible, essentially single figures of additional consumption.

The reason that improved body composition helps exercise efficiency in the long term is the relative effectiveness of lean mass. The point is not burning extra calories after a session, but in improving the bodies ability to convert fuel.
  • DR2501
    Options
    I've got no idea how intense Zumba is tbh, so I can't comment.

I do know that if I walked for 2 hours, strength trained for an hour then rowed for another 30 mins and then if I saw just 450 cals burned at the end I'd be pretty discouraged. I still think that's too low for what you're doing, I'm convinced you're actually burning more than that. Maybe it all comes down to how intensity?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM (Polar FT60) for Steady state cardio and have figured up my calorie burn through trial and error to account for my strength training. I never have used any other method of tracking calorie burn besides that. I average 1000 to 1500 calories burned during exercise and that equates on average to about 2 hours sessions. HRM is just a guess too but I trust those numbers from it over random numbers given by the machines or elsewhere... Best of Luck
  • LSinVA
    LSinVA Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I trust my HRM for the most part. 450 for what you're doing seems way too low. I know a few people with Fitbits and I'd heard they're good for calculating daily activities but not necessarily workout sessions.

According to my HRM, I'll burn between 500-600 during hour-long cycling classes but that's fairly steady state cardio at high intensity. If I take Body Pump (which combines strength and cardio), it tells me I'll burn 400-450-ish in the same amount of time. I use the numbers because I don't trust the ones on MFP, they seem high. I also haven't found anything else more accurate.

I have seen people log 1000+ calories for general gym activities but I don't know how they arrive at those numbers. Highest I've ever gotten was 900-ish but that was with well over two hours at the gym.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

450 would be the burn above the the usual metabolic burn (which is 50~150 cals already included in your MFP numbers, woops) so it isn't too high for a two hour walk.

Most HRM are useless for either low intensity work like walking or high HR/low oxygen consumption work like lifting - the calibration curves are not intended for those activity curves - there are a few watches that do take those into account but they tend to cost more.

High burns for me would be 4-8 hrs of mountain biking or alpine trekking.

ETA: 450 estimate would be for walking ... if you are also rowing for 20-30 minutes AND weightlifting seriously for 30-45 minutes - it is likely an underestimate.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

Those calories will not be any where near accurate as the algorithm is only set up for steady state cardio
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I also noticed that the MFP calories burned are always way higher than my HRM. I swear by my Garmin HRM for all cardio activities. It usually takes me 2 hours (or close to it) of high intensity cardio to break into the 1,000's.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Those that are recording burns of 800-900 always have me wondering as well...for example 1 hour of zumba...over 800 calories...yah no...

It's related to mass and intensity.
    The other day, @ 165lbs, I burned 830 KCal in 47.5 minutes running.