Motivational statement (read)

ironweber717
ironweber717 Posts: 49
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
“We know that the effects of training are temporary. I cannot put fitness in the bank. If inactive, I will detrain faster than it took me to get in shape. And since my entire persona is influenced by my running program, I must remain constantly in training. Otherwise, the sedentary life will inexorably reduce my mental and emotional well-being.

So, I run each day to preserve the self I attained the day before. And coupled with this is the desire to secure the self yet to be. There can be no letup. If I do not run, I will eventually lose all I have gained, and my future with it.”

- Dr. George Sheehan
Columnist for Runners’ World

I am reading "Eat Right to Train Right" by Chris Carmichael. This was a quote from the book. Save it , read it and live it. May it help you through the rough roads before you.

Replies

• tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Thanks for sharing. It's so true that it's quicker to lose everything that you've worked towards than the amount of time that it took to get there.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Ironman, I went to Amazon to check out the book and have purchased it. I train hard in ballet, with cross-training at the gym for weights and cardio, and have had a really hard time figuring out how to regulate my blood sugar with all this (hypoglycemic tendencies). Because I'm not doing this casually, as an average person might, I need more info.

Thanks for posting this because it's what I was looking for!!! :-)
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    I'm stuck on a weight loss plateau for over 2 months now and the roads ahead of me seem pretty hard. I just ordered the book from Amazon, this might help me move ahead. Thanks for posting
  • Dinos,
    When I hit a plateau I have learned to re-examine my eating. it has always been because of small indulges that has caused the problem or portion size. Having a plateau for a couple of weeks is normal but any longer check your eating habits and change up some of your workouts.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    I find that quote very depressing for some reason :ohwell:
  • dinos
    Dinos,
    When I hit a plateau I have learned to re-examine my eating. it has always been because of small indulges that has caused the problem or portion size. Having a plateau for a couple of weeks is normal but any longer check your eating habits and change up some of your workouts.

I don't think that the problem is with the workouts. Your remark to check my eating habits made me go back to my food diary and do some analysis: I'm still eating about the same amount of calories, but there is one major difference. While I was losing weight, my calorie intake was 80% healthy stuff (cereals, vegs, fruit, fish etc) and only 20% was from snacks, soda, sweets & alcohol . Over the last couple of months the proportion went to 60/40. I believe this explains things.

I'll try to go a little deeper into the composition of my food (carbs, fat, salt ...). The book should help here.
    Thanks for the useful suggestion.
  • dinos
    I dug a bit deeper. The problem with my stagnant weight has to do with the proportion of macronutrients I eat.
    I am eating 53% carbs - 17% protein - 30% fat. That's too much fat, it should be more like 55 - 25 - 20
This discussion has been closed.