Body Fat Analysis

Options
Ok fitness types. What's the best way to measure body fat yourself? I'd like to incorporate it as a metric regarding my weight loss and toning.

I have a set of Salter scales which are meant to measure Body Fat% but I stopped using as them (for this) as they would always give me a reading of above 50% which is miles away from the truth. I know this is not just a faulty unit as well as I returned one set to have the same readings from another (maybe I have something weird electrical going on with my feet!)

I'm loathe to splash out on a set of Withings or Fitbit scales unless I could have a go on them to check they give a semi accurate result.

I don't know how accurate any of the calculators are that rely on measuring your neck, waste and hips. Also the fact there are several different calculators is confusing.

There are also skinfold callipers designed for one person use that click into place, but does anyone have any good experience with these? I've heard it is much more accurate to get someone else to measure for you.

So, thoughts people?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    hydrostatics > dexa > calipers > bioimpadence > online calculators

Base don available and need for accuracy vs trends, pick one of the above.
  • LambrettaVVespa
    LambrettaVVespa Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Scales are known for being notoriously inaccurate for calculating BFP, or that's the impression I've been given from browsing in various weight loss and body building forums.

I always use Callipers to take body fat measurements and take a measurement from multiple locations before converting that into a body fat percentage. As for using them by yourself, it is better if you have someone to assist but I've found I can take the majority of the measurements by myself (excluding the measurements around the biceps and triceps due to needing two hands).

There are more accurate ways to get your body fat measured, including a DEXA scan and Hydrostatic method. However, you're either going to need to get this done at a local (or not so local) facility depending on where you live. It can also cost a fair amount to get either of these tests done.

An issue with Callipers is that, although they can be accurate, it needs to be done correctly and the same way every time. The amount of skin you pinch could be different every time. That's why I take three measurements if each location and make sure there aren't any judge anomalies before calculating the average and using that as the measurement.