Polenta Recipes

Options
1992Leigh1992
1992Leigh1992 Posts: 100 Member
I have been trying to experiment with different foods.

I bought polenta (raw) for the first time about a month ago, but simply cooked it in boiling water and served it as a side dish alongside a nice stew I made. I enjoyed the texture, and the sauce from the stew gave it a nice flavour but I seen blogs using polenta in so many other cool ways.

I was wondering if anyone on MFP has a favourite polenta recipe or method of preparing it into a meal that fits your macros/ health plan/diet/lifestyle changes.

This looks really nice- http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Polenta-and-Vegetable-Casserole/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=polenta&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=/recipe-exchange/request-a-recipe.aspx&soid=sr_results_p2i6

But I am assuming that the tubes of polenta mean pre-made stuff?

This also looks good- I don't have gratin dishes. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/fontal-polenta-with-mushroom-50400000108348/

I wondering if it would work just put into a larger dish. Has anyone tried something similar to this?

Replies

• pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I love polenta! The easiest way I prepare it is in the rice cooker. Texture-wise it doesn't beat hand stirring on the stove top, but it's so easy that it more than makes up for it. I do one part polenta to 3 parts liquid (I often use stock for extra flavor) and set the timer for 20 minutes. I give it a stir about halfway through. I love to dice up a jalapeno to throw in at the beginning of the cooking, and I will grate some sharp cheese in at the end for a nice jalapeno cheddar polenta. I also like to mix in parmesan and serve it topped with garlic thyme mushrooms or a good marinara sauce. Though I most often eat it in a porridge style consistency, it's also nice to spread the cooked polenta out on a flat surface, let it cool, and then cut it into slices. I'll eat it with chili in place of cornbread, cut it into cubes and toast them to put onto a salad or in a soup, make vegetable stacks with them. One time I even made super thin slices of polenta and layered them for a lasagna style dish. :)
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Way back when,polenta was called mush. it was always made at home,cooled in a loaf pan,then sliced & fried. Served with butter & syrup. You can see this on some breakfast menus. Very good but calorie dense.