Good fitness/health books

Options
Recommend one with maybe a quick word or two about why you think its a good book.

I like Men's Health Magazine but it isn't published daily so I am looking for a more substantial read that can get me through the summer.

I'll recommend 'Body for Life' by Bill Phillips. Published about 15 yrs ago. It sold well and is still in print and easy to find used.
Essentially it advocates the following

1. six small meals a day - protein at every meal
you wont be counting calories but rather ensuring a proper portion size. Counting calories wouldn't hurt though, remember this was published before access to smart phones was commonplace.

2.. Intense weight training
3. Intense cardio

I would caution people that it does require dedication to working out (3 days weights and 3 days cardio) and his 'high point' method, while nothing new to weight lifters, is pretty tough for the average person beginning his/her journey. I have never tried the highpoint method for running, it just hurts my knees too much so I stick with cycling, or traditional jogging (minus the sprinting). The intent of the book is to shape the body by building muscle and turning your body into an active furnace fueled by food.

Another caution. Book also recommends EAS products (a company he used to own) such as protein bars, shakes, creatine etc) so read it with that in mind.

I have read this book several times and it is excellent for its community/success stories and it really helped me understand food and the part that it plays in your health journey.

I wouldn't say that I follow the plan it laid out, but it is a good resource book for me, and I have loaned it out several times when I was explaining aspects of nutrition, weight training to people who wanted to give it a shot.