I am a runner after horrible surgery

Options
wanarun
wanarun Posts: 31 Member
I used to run 3 miles a day. I started by walking than running until I was winded than walking etc. Last summer I had a horrible surgery to remove a brain tumor. I just found the zenlabs c25k app and started again last week. I am running again and feel amazing and accomplished. I am on a journey to lose 100 pounds. Good shoes are a must have. I started with my Walmart kickers and ran today with my brand new New Balance and I felt like I was on air. Good luck people and have a great day.

Replies

• emmaxbon
    emmaxbon Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you are recovered, running again and feeling good.

I am a novice runner, recently did my first 10k and am signed up for another in September.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I finished 11 months of cancer treatment last summer...tried doing the C25K then, but just had too much pain...sometimes the mind is willing but the body needs more time, eh? This summer I started it again (after incisional hernia repair...tumors, the gift that keeps giving, right?) and it has felt much better. I have one week to go and am feeling very accomplished. It feels good to move again, doesn't it? Next step is 10K training, starting next week. I also found using an app to be very helpful.

Have fun running, all the best to you!
  • wanarun
    wanarun Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. My goal is a 10k in the fall. The way I feel today, no problem! I know things could have been much worse, I'm sorry you had the trial you were faced with. They say we are never given more than we can handle. hmph sometimes not too sure, but we keep trucking/running along. good luck to you!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    What an awesome attitude! You just picked up my day. I'm dealing with plantar fasciitis right now, and bummed at how it is sidelining my running, but I'll get it back.

Keep it up! Love your positive vibes :flowerforyou:
    ~Curly
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    You got it, best of luck with you're 10k training!

I'm a long distance runner. Had 2 spinal fusions (scoliosis) I'm still running. Love it!
  • notskinnylizzy
    notskinnylizzy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You've put me to shame! I used to run/jog/walk but then couch potatoitus stepped in.
    I've signed up to do the Great North Run (3rd time - no great time, but I did knock 3 mins off last year and made it in 3 hrs 30!)and quite honestly I've just not had the motivation to start running - not a good idea with only 40 days to go! You've made me realise I have no excuse not to go out there and do it, and like you say the feeling is amazing.
    Good luck with your journey - I'd be happy to travel it with you!:bigsmile:
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I've been a runner for about 6 years now. I've had major surgeries on and off since then. 2 years ago I had the surgery that knocked me on my *kitten*. I just started running again on a regular. My last race was Tough Mudder September 2012. I just did my first 5k since then on Saturday and will do another one this weekend. Good luck to you, you can do it!!! Running is life.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I use to hate running and now I love it. I think it can play a big role in your weight loss journey. Try not to go too low on calories, I did that once and really felt bad. Good luck!
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    What an excellent post OP :bigsmile: It's almost made me want to start running in your honour. Hm. See what the physio says tomorrow (broke leg/ankle last September, nothing drastic but taking some time to heal and my brain has forgotten my foot is there - most odd!).

I wish you all the very best with your running.