'Naughty Days'

Options
I have just had a rubbish day. Very unhappy with myself, so I logged on here to get some motivation and have seen a lot of people talking about relaxing their calorie intake and having a 'naughty day' once a week.
I know this would not work for me, I would lose all control of my eating, and eat whatever I wanted (and the rest LOL)
In fact, I would probably eat all my weeks calories in just 1 day!
Does anyone else not dare to let themselves 'relax' and have a 'naughty day'?

Replies

• p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Not a "naughty day" as such but I do like to know that on a Saturday (for example) I can have a bit of a naughty meal - maybe not even THAT naughty, but let's say homemade chicken curry with brown rice and homemade chips......not too naughty! All homemade - BUT would probably put me slightly over my cals without exercise.

Now once a month or so I'll have a completely naughty meal (meal - not day!) like tonight I've had pizza and wine! But I think we deserve a treat now and again, and unless you lose your mindset (which also happens from time to time when you lose your motivation etc!) then a treat is a good thing! Your body will say "thanks I needed that" and then get back to normal the next day knowing that it had a nice treat. :)

Try and encorporate a "cheat meal" into your week and see how you feel - I know a lot of bodybuilders who recommend this as their weekly routine and still look fab! :)
    -x-x-
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    After 7 months here on the site, I feel I can enjoy myself now and then. I never allow a "naughty day", but I will enjoy a meal with family or plan some exercise for the day so I don't go over by as much. I use it to eat something healthy that may be higher calorie, such as pan fried rainbow trout and a side of shrimp/veggie/tofu stir fry that my sister-in-law made this week for supper. I don't have the urge to eat badly anymore, because the few times I have let myself splurge, I have felt very sick afterwards, because my body seems to reject the high fat high sugar foods I used to love.
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    So does that mean you plan on being strict with yourself every day for the rest of your life? What do you do if you're invited out for a meal and drinks? Just interested.

Having a naughty day (I don't like that term; it implies it is wrong to enjoy yourself!) doesn't necessarily mean binge eating junk for 24hours - it just means that you let your hair down and forgive yourself for giving in to a treat or two!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I usually don't log Saturday's...but even when i try to be naughty, i feel so disgusting afterwards that it's not worth it...my biggest problem is eating enough on sundays...i usually burn about 1100 calories vigorously cleaning my house, but i don't really stop and eat along the way...but that's because i have a food hangover from Saturday...I prepared for my bento box meal on saturday, i just didn't prepare for the snacking that came afterwards...i finally had to go to bed because i just kept eating...and drinking water too! so it's ok to have a naughty meal, but don't have a naughty day or you'll end up paying for it.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I joke and say I do, but I really don't. At this point, I have taken a fairly philosophical view in terms of weight loss. The way I look at it is, there are no good and bad foods. Perhaps there are good and bad choices. But I accommodate just like other aspects in my life.
    I know weight loss is important. But I really believe sometimes the importance becomes bigger than we are. I don't want the feeling that I am teetering on the edge of failure all the time. That if I have 1 ice cream sunday, I have headed back down the slope to chunkiness again. I hate the thought of punishment or the negative thoughts of food. The other day I stopped and grabbed Taco Bell. I knew my calories could accommodate for it and even if not, I would work a little harder at the gym or cut back a little for eating the next day. I am not forced to do it. I don't even think in terms of making them up now. It's like going shopping. You spend a little too much, you adjust your budget accordingly.
    I really believe we need to enjoy the times we are here. I have to believe many of us like the taste of food. To lose that seems wrong. Savor it. Savor it in moderation if you can. If you go overboard, you have plenty of days ahead to even it out.
  • maz123
    maz123 Posts: 63
    Options
    binary jester you really hit the nail on the head with your post. so true and thanks !!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as a naughty day when you are committed to making this a change for the rest of your life. Eat responsibly, enjoy all holidays and events. Make up for it the next day with a little extra work. In the end, it all balances out. As long as you are still losing weight, you're still doing great!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I am with you Aeriel. I can't over eat or eat not so healthy foods anymore. I do get sick (and I mean bathroom sick).

We all have enzymes in our bodies that help with the digestion of all kind of foods, these enzymes are ready only on demand, so when we eat something that it is heavy to digest or that we haven't had for a long time, the enzymes take a long time to show up. The results: bathroom breaks and lots of them for some people. I am one of them, so it is not worthy.

If I go out, or if I am invited to friends house, I try to be good during the day and exercise, if possible. I also try to be smart with my choices and portions.

Hope that you are all having a good Thanksgiving Day!
  • iambrandice
    iambrandice Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I don't usually allow for these days. I try to be strict every day. However, if it happens that I have a bad day, I still log it, so I realize that it was not a good choice. Then I don't stress about it, because it happened and I can't change it. Then it makes me try even harder the next day. I had a bad day yesterday, and I snacked so much!!

But today is Thanksgiving, and I will try to keep my portions smaller and control myself to make up for yesterday. We'll see if I can though, lol!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    If I had my way, I thing we should redefine what we think of as "naughty". naughty.gif
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    If I had my way, I thing we should redefine what we think of as "naughty". naughty.gif

lol i was waiting for you to slip something in there...i was quite shocked that your last post was so informative :laugh:
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I think allowing a splurge once a month isn't bad. I tend to save mine for special occassions... a party, a holiday. I figure if it's only one meal and you get right back on course the next day, it really won't impact your weight loss.

Shannon