How often to weigh?

Options
arogers0541
arogers0541 Posts: 98 Member
I'm sure there has been 100 topics on this in the past, however this is my first go around on the boards and with the MFP website. I have taken measurements as well as my weight and was wondering how often do you weigh/ calculate those? I am sure it is 100% preference, but I was just curious what others have found to be a good amount of time in between weigh-ins?

Thanks !

Replies

• tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Personally, I weigh myself every Tuesday morning after I go to the bathroom and before I get dressed.
    I just took my second set of measurements, and this was 2 weeks after doing it the first time.

I think whatever you are comfortable with is what you should work with.

some people weigh everyday, other try that and get discouraged from not seeing any changes - it is really up to you!
  • sarahrosheen
    sarahrosheen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i do it everyday! I like to log everyday then look at the graph to assure myself my weight will fluctuate and not to worry if it does
  • jcranston13
    Options
    I weigh and track every day, I don't update every day though. I use Saturday mornings as my "official" weight day. You just have to figure out what works best for your motivation.
  • bshot1
    bshot1 Posts: 44
    Options
    First thing Monday. I don't do cheat days at all, but if I did I'd do it prior to my cheat days.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning.However, I like charting the data and seeing how it progresses so I am never surprised.:ohwell:

It's really up to you.
  • ErisDyscordia
    ErisDyscordia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i do it everyday! I like to log everyday then look at the graph to assure myself my weight will fluctuate and not to worry if it does

Same!

Plus if I do it every day, then I have a better idea of what my weight is really at, since if I did it less often, I could be doing it on a day where I am more dehydrated or retaining water. It helps to get a sort of average and see the general trend.

I find I get LESS hung up on the number when I do it daily and am used to the fluctuations.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I weigh about every other day - but I only update MFP every 2 weeks. This helps me make sure the overall trend is going in the right direction but not going crazy over daily fluctuations.

PS - welcome!
  • jferg70
    jferg70 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I weigh a couple of times per week...once on Monday to assess the weekend damage (which I know is just temporary fluctuation) and then again on Friday morning. I don't update my weight on here very often as I've simply been maintaining over the last few weeks, but it's time to get the last 15-20 off to get back to fighting weight.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options

Same!

Plus if I do it every day, then I have a better idea of what my weight is really at, since if I did it less often, I could be doing it on a day where I am more dehydrated or retaining water. It helps to get a sort of average and see the general trend.

I find I get LESS hung up on the number when I do it daily and am used to the fluctuations.

Me too.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Every day for me, see a gradual downward trend over the week and if there's a blip ot two I don't beat myself up over it..

If you drink water before weighing, every litre is a kilogram sat in your stomach..
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Weigh every day, look at 7-day rolling average.
  • DAWNSTEP
    DAWNSTEP Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day - keeps me focused! I know it is not going to drop every day, but I love seeing the numbers gradually go down. When I used to weigh once a week I'd lose focus and gain.
  • skjones0323
    skjones0323 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh in once a week, but on the program I am on now I weigh in once every two weeks. I find that I have some trouble with motivation toward the end of the second week.

Susan
  • ricer8
    ricer8 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, but mostly because it helps me keep my motivation. My scale weighs tenths so it's nice to see it go down even if it's just a couple tenths.
  • christullos
    Options
    I weigh once a week or two weeks. I do this because my water weight is great because of a medical condition. I take my lasix one day, to shed my water retention and weigh the next morning.
  • dizy17
    dizy17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    when I first started it would be constantly then it went to every Wednesday. now its every 2 weeks or monthly.
  • Laura100AC
    Laura100AC Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself everyday, but got incredibly disheartened when I saw I had gained.

I now only use the scales at the gym which measure body fat/BMI/weight once a week.

I find it better not having the temptation to check everyday.
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I weigh after every fast day but only log it on Saturday. I measure really intermittently every few weeks or so. Works for me!
  • rosanna88_
    rosanna88_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like to do it daily but I think Monday morning is best, keeps you accountable during the weekend