HRM or fitness tracker??

2»

Replies

• SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    I have the JawboneUp and love it! Keeps me motivated, tells me how I sleep, etc. BUT I do not sync it to MFP, nor do I care how many calories it says I burn. It is simply for motivation. I have a Garmin Forerunner 220 with a cheststrap for when I work out. If I am at the gym (not walking or running), I just turn the GPS and it is still a HRM.

Basically, what are you looking for? Motivation throughout the day or just a HRM to see how much you burn during a workout?

Good luck!!
  • SLippi
    SLippi Posts: 22 Member
    Funny timing for this to pop up. I have a Fitbit Flex (Activity Tracker) and a Polar FT7 (Heart Rate Monitor).

I bought the FT7 about 2 years ago when I was doing Insanity to keep track of calories burned/heart rate/etc. I continued to use it at the gym during cardio days. I stopped using it for awhile, but for reasons mentioned below, I started using it again. I have to say for cardio based activities it's very nice to see what your heart rate is and how many calories you actually burned.

About a year ago I decided to buy a Fitbit Flex since I was walking a lot and wasn't using my HRM to track walks/jogs/etc. I was curious how many steps I did in a day, like you I was thinking the sleep activity tracker would be awesome since every article about getting in shape states you need proper rest. I can honestly say the sleep tracker, for me, is useless on the Flex. You turn it on manually and then it monitors how active you are. But if you can't sleep and you are reading/watching tv/etc and aren't moving around it counts that as sleep. For me at least I have problems going to sleep some days and it can be hours of inactivity physically that isn't actual sleep (aka just laying there trying to sleep). I do love the Flex though, on days where I haven't been active when I check my dots and only see the initial one it does motivate me to get out and do something. To me at least that's worth the $99.

Two additional things to note about the Flex that I have found in my time using it. First would be the band only lasted about 6 months. I bought 3 more bands for $30 at Best Buy so that should last me for 2 years or so which I would assume is about what the lifespan of the Flex would be, but who knows. Electronic gadgets tend to have 2 year lifespans so I'm just assuming. I would plan on buying some bands, or at least knowing you'll likely need more, upfront. The second thing is I've recently started cycling and find my Flex absolutely worthless when cycling. The constant vibrations turn on/off the sleep tracker constantly and drain the battery. So I've recently started using my HRM again for cycling. There are workaround people find like putting the flex in your shoe laces and things but I'd rather just take it off and use the HRM since the Flex won't accurately track cycling anyway.

I haven't looked at the newer products that have come out recently, but I'd say get the Flex if you need motivation to get moving. Get a HRM if you just want more accurate calories burned and the ability to track your heart rate. If you want both and can afford it buying both would be beneficial.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    If you're mostly walking as your activity, Fitbit might work well for you, though I have heard many reports of it overestimating calories burned. Although my walking varies each day, I don't walk purposely for fitness - I'd rather run or lift or do something of a higher intensity. I have both a Fitbit (for about 3 months now) and a Polar FT4 (for about 3yrs now). I prefer the HRM because it more accurately tracks intensity. I prefer to estimate my normal calorie burn to set my daily goal and then use the HRM to add in calories when I do something over and above (running, lifting, etc). I personally wouldn't have bought the Fitbit but work gave it out as part of a wellness program.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Also...I've replaced the battery in my HRM once and it was after at least 2yrs. I have to charge the Fitbit at least once a week. So that's a huge drawback for me since I don't want to have to charge one more thing.
  • gypsyrose85
    gypsyrose85 Posts: 206 Member
    I think I will end up with both. I want accuracy but i need motivation as well.
    Funny timing for this to pop up. I have a Fitbit Flex (Activity Tracker) and a Polar FT7 (Heart Rate Monitor).

I bought the FT7 about 2 years ago when I was doing Insanity to keep track of calories burned/heart rate/etc. I continued to use it at the gym during cardio days. I stopped using it for awhile, but for reasons mentioned below, I started using it again. I have to say for cardio based activities it's very nice to see what your heart rate is and how many calories you actually burned.

About a year ago I decided to buy a Fitbit Flex since I was walking a lot and wasn't using my HRM to track walks/jogs/etc. I was curious how many steps I did in a day, like you I was thinking the sleep activity tracker would be awesome since every article about getting in shape states you need proper rest. I can honestly say the sleep tracker, for me, is useless on the Flex. You turn it on manually and then it monitors how active you are. But if you can't sleep and you are reading/watching tv/etc and aren't moving around it counts that as sleep. For me at least I have problems going to sleep some days and it can be hours of inactivity physically that isn't actual sleep (aka just laying there trying to sleep). I do love the Flex though, on days where I haven't been active when I check my dots and only see the initial one it does motivate me to get out and do something. To me at least that's worth the $99.

Two additional things to note about the Flex that I have found in my time using it. First would be the band only lasted about 6 months. I bought 3 more bands for $30 at Best Buy so that should last me for 2 years or so which I would assume is about what the lifespan of the Flex would be, but who knows. Electronic gadgets tend to have 2 year lifespans so I'm just assuming. I would plan on buying some bands, or at least knowing you'll likely need more, upfront. The second thing is I've recently started cycling and find my Flex absolutely worthless when cycling. The constant vibrations turn on/off the sleep tracker constantly and drain the battery. So I've recently started using my HRM again for cycling. There are workaround people find like putting the flex in your shoe laces and things but I'd rather just take it off and use the HRM since the Flex won't accurately track cycling anyway.

I haven't looked at the newer products that have come out recently, but I'd say get the Flex if you need motivation to get moving. Get a HRM if you just want more accurate calories burned and the ability to track your heart rate. If you want both and can afford it buying both would be beneficial.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Two different tools for completely different things. Fitbits and Jawbones, etc are basically fancy pedometers that estimate your calorie requirements from day to day type of activity and movement. They are going to be less accurate for determining burns from aerobic exercise and if you, for example, cycle as your primary exercise they really aren't accurate at all.

HRM's provide reasonably good burn estimates for aerobic events...but they are pretty much worthless for any kind of anaerobic activity like lifting and aren't going to be accurate for determining burns outside of actual aerobic exercise...i.e. it's not going to give you an accurate calorie burn if you just wear the HRM all day long...
  • gypsyrose85
    gypsyrose85 Posts: 206 Member
    See that is my problem. I don't just walk. I hike. I climb hills, I climb over rocks and fallen trees. Thats why I am thinking a HRM would suit me better because that burns more calories than walking on a flat surface and gets your HR up more.
    If you're mostly walking as your activity, Fitbit might work well for you, though I have heard many reports of it overestimating calories burned. Although my walking varies each day, I don't walk purposely for fitness - I'd rather run or lift or do something of a higher intensity. I have both a Fitbit (for about 3 months now) and a Polar FT4 (for about 3yrs now). I prefer the HRM because it more accurately tracks intensity. I prefer to estimate my normal calorie burn to set my daily goal and then use the HRM to add in calories when I do something over and above (running, lifting, etc). I personally wouldn't have bought the Fitbit but work gave it out as part of a wellness program.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Activity Trackers
    -Glorified pedometers
    -Some can track whether you are asleep or not. However, if you wait for sleep to come while laying still, it will think you're asleep when you're not.
    -Very trendy
    -You will have a better understanding of how much you move around in daily life
    -You will have to turn it off for some fitness activities, like dance, since it will get confused. Or any other activity that causes you to flail your arms around.

HRM
    -Only good for steady-state cardio (walking, jogging, sprinting, cycling).
    -Cannot be used for calorie counts for daily activities, like walking around your office, or sports that have a lot of stop and go (tennis, HIITs, basketball, dance).
    -Worn around the chest. May have watchband that displays results. May not.
  • lkhaycook
    lkhaycook Posts: 23 Member
    If you are looking to track how active you are in your daily life (at work & such), you can do it with just a good pedometer. Omron Pocket Pedometers are ~$25 and are very accurate. Then switch over to a HRM for times you are intentionally exercising.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    I have the Bodymedia tracker, and it was tested as much more accurate than the others. It's worn on the upper arm rather than the wrist, and it has sensors for more than just steps - it also measures changes in skin temp and moisture, which indicate effort, so it can tell the difference between energy expended during a leisurely walk and a hike up a steep hill.

It also does sleep tracking, which is interesting but not terribly useful. Some people like it. It also syncs with MFP.

One of the most convenient things it does is export reports to Excel so you can see over the course of time how many calories you burned and ate, and how your weight was affected.

Its only drawback is a monthly fee, but it's only $6, and I figure my health is worth that.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    I'm a Fitbit Fan ... I've had mine for four years, and now most of my family is on board too. Makes for some fun family competition!

I do have a HRM too, and it is different and provides different feedback. I use both for many activities and then compare the stats. I like having the double devices. I wear my Fitbit 24/7, but only wear the HRM here and there as it isn't that comfortable. I do like it's feedback during a workout and get SO frustrated if it doesn't work correctly (and then I'm so grateful I have the Fitbit on as well at least!)

I do like the Fitbit for the sleep tracking feature. I don't know how accurate it is. The "time to bed" and "time awakened" are as accurate as my input (I do try to press the button as I'm ready to sleep and as I get up) and even just keeping track of that is interesting. My son wore his and when he woke up with steps we discovered he'd been sleepwalking (his cousin saw him walking around during the night). So while sometimes I feel like it tells me I was asleep when I know I wasn't (just laying still) I can see any time I got up, or was restless in the night.

If you can afford both, I would say go for both. If you can only afford one, I would go with the Fitbit myself. If you're wanting the sleep function and are interested in floors (altitude) feedback (although again, the "floors" reading can get a little untrustworthy at times!), I'd recommend the One over the Flex or Zip.

I keep a fitness blog, and I've posted about my experiences with both devices
    http://jenbsjourney.blogspot.com/2013/08/wondering-about-fitbit.html
    http://jenbsjourney.blogspot.com/2014/07/heart-rate-monitors.html

... one more plus for the Fitbit, it connects to SO many different programs. Here at MFP, reward programs like Pact, Achievemint and Fitstudio. Seriously, my Fitbit has paid for itself as I've earned rewards by connecting it to these various programs!
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    I have a Fitbit Flex and my husband has a Jawbone. We both have Garmin Forerunner watches with a HRM we share.

I really like my Flex. Recharging is a real PITA though (a known problem, you can check out their forums if you like). Basically, after a while the little tablet that is the actual tracker gets loose in the docking cradle used for recharging and it becomes hit-or-miss if you charge or not. I'm on my 2nd tracker and 3rd charger because of this issue and currently use a small clamp to hold the unit firmly in the charger. This works fine, it just irritates me. I have calibrated my Flex and find it counts steps extremely well. Total distance looks quite accurate (compared to my phone's GPS and the FR watch). The calorie burn seems reasonable (roughly 100 calories per mile). The app is quite good, the website is excellent (my opinion). They just released a software hot-fix that has increased functionality and now the unit can use your phone's GPS to track runs/walks (not just steps) and so be even more accurate for distance as long as you are outside. the Fitbit syncs using Bluetooth, which is nice. I get 7-8 days on a charge, and it takes 2-3 hours to recharge.

My husband very much likes his Jawbone UP. I would say his app is even better than the Fitbit app, but the website offers no additional functionality. Included in the free membership are some very motivational comparisons (such as how much sleep he gets compared to all Jawbone users, other men his age, etc. etc.). He also gets regular updates that include some interesting recipes (yeah, really!). You have to plug the UP into your phone to sync (downside there). The sleep tracker has a better breakdown than Fitbit's (the Flex is "awake", "asleep", "restless", the Jawbone actually divides sleep into deep sleep and REM sleep, which is quite interesting). He gets 7-9 days on a charge and it recharges in a couple of hours. He very quickly lost the little cap that covers the charging plug, which annoyed him (the Flex pops out of the band and fits into a charger...no cap). I haven't had a problem with the wristband (I noticed someone else said theirs wore out, the only reason I mention it). I only take it off to shower so I have it on a LOT.

Both trackers have to be told when you are going to sleep and when you wake up. If you lie very still but are still awake, both will count it as "asleep". Fitbit lets you update your sleep log through the app (say if you forget to tell it when you are going to sleep), I don't know if the Jawbone does or not. Both trackers are really only for steps (walking or running), though you can add in other exercises through the app or website (just like the exercise tab in MFP).

I find HRMs brutally uncomfortable...something about the shape of my ribcage, I guess. I've adjusted it, tried wearing it higher or lower on my torso, tried Body Glide to reduce chaffing, etc. After about 30 minutes, I have a very painful abrasion on my chest which takes several days to heal. So, um, I'm not a fan and can't tell you how accurate or useful they might be, since I've never managed to finish a run while wearing one. My husband finds it just fine, so YMMV.
  • fhttrs
    fhttrs Posts: 201 Member
    I have a Fitbit Flex and like the poster above me, I love it. So far no problems with charging and I do believe that it is very accurate with steps (I wear mine on my non dominant hand).

I'm not a huge fan of the sleep tracking though. I find that the "sensitive" setting is TOO sensitive and the normal setting is not sensitive enough. If I sleep 8 hours, usually the normal setting will report I slept 8 hours undisturbed. The sensitive setting will say I slept less than an hour and I know that I do toss and turn but not that much.

I also have and wear a Polar FT7 heart rate monitor while I work out. And I absolutely LOVE that as well. I like seeing my heart rates and how long I spent in the "fat burning" zone during each workout.

I'd say if you're looking for a more overall report, go with the Fitbit. Then if you want to hone in on your workouts, wait a little and get a HRM as well. That's exactly what I did and I feel like it really helped me kick it up a notch since in the back of my mind I have "I burned X calories doing this last time, LETS BEAT IT."
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    do any HRMs connect with MFP
    My Jarv HRM connects to RunKeeper, which pushes calorie burn data to MFP. MFP does not "live" track activities (you log them after) so you need to use a live activity tracker app that runs while you work out.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    See that is my problem. I don't just walk. I hike. I climb hills, I climb over rocks and fallen trees. Thats why I am thinking a HRM would suit me better because that burns more calories than walking on a flat surface and gets your HR up more.
    This is true but only to a point. An HRM is only good when you're doing steady state cardio. You can't use it to track your movement the remainder of the day. Even for a hike it's not going to be entirely accurate because you're working harder at some points than others.

Personally, I'd suggest getting both at some point. Frankly, I'm not so worried about my calorie burn on a daily basis at this point. I have a good idea of how much I burn after wearing the Fitbit One for a long time and I'm happy with the Fitbit's carryover of calories on the days I run because it's fairly close to what my GPS watch gives me. At this point, I'm not even wearing the HRM during my runs. I just use the watch to tell me how far I've run and, really, the Fitbit is so close in mileage every time that I almost don't need it for that, either.