Calf pain - running question

Options
mkdm291
mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
Hi there. So I was just running on the tredmill and at about mile 3.8 of my 4 mile run, I suddenly saw stars with sharp calf pain of my right leg. I stopped running and "walked it out" as much as I can. I then stretched it for quite some time.
It still hurts really bad. Running is my favorite exercise and I don't want to be out of commission for a long time with this.
Do any runners have any suggestions on what I can do today? Should I apply ice? Heat???

Replies

• bigsurferboy75
    Options
    When I was a Medic in the Army I always suggested RICE, Rest - Ice - Comrpression - Elevation with an over the counter Motrin. If it continues to hurt for longer than a week I would seek medical attention.
  • Marlitharn
    Marlitharn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you may have strained or torn a calf muscle. I did that a few weeks ago; not fun. RICE - rest, ice, compression, elevation - was what was recommended to me. Mine cleared up after a few days; it wasn't too severe to start with, just bad enough to make me wince while walking. It sucks, but if you push it too hard too soon you'll just end up being out of commision longer. Hope it clears up quickly!
  • mkdm291
    mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll definately give the RICE a try today.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    So there's a lot of correlation to physical injury as we age. And personally I've noticed that once people hit close to 40, it's seems almost inevitable that they will suffer from some sort of strain or tear of a muscle.
    At 38 I tore my hamstring. Then did it again at 46. And at 47 I strained a calf muscle. Granted at all injuries were from competitive sporting (flag football), but non contact injuries nonetheless.
    Anyway, RICE is always a great first approach.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    How long have you been running? I resumed running after a 15 year hiatus, but developed compartment syndrome in both calves after 5 months of running. I had ramped up my speed and distance too quickly. Recommend consulting with a sports medicine doctor if R.I.C.E. isn't enough. The doctor I talked to said it's not uncommon for people to develop this if they haven't been very active and start overdoing things.