Putting logging on pause.

Options
I like changing things up to keep from getting bored so here is my latest. I think I am pretty well trained now in my new lifestyle and really haven't had any problems maintaining my weight for the last two months. I am going to stop logging for the next week and see how it goes. Anybody else try this?

Replies

• TXGirl78028
    Options
    It seems reasonable if you want to try - I'd just make sure to check in at least weekly so if you start to slip up you can catch/correct before it goes too far.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    It seems reasonable if you want to try - I'd just make sure to check in at least weekly so if you start to slip up you can catch/correct before it goes too far.
    I weigh daily at the same time via Aria Wi-Fi scale and will start freaking if I start going way up. Right now I am a little high due to beer, Ribs and Hot Wings this weekend.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I haven't been logging since October and it's going fine. Once you learn and know the process, you might not need to log at all.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Yep. I only log during bulk/cutting cycles.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I haven't logged in months and am doing better than I when I was logging. I got too obsessed with logging.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. It was getting a bit tedious to get into bed and realizing that I hadn't logged or finished logging. It also wasn't having any constructive feedback anymore since I have retrained my eating habits. Just watching the scale now. I also don't miss the eye roll that my wife would give when I pulled out my phone to log a meal.
  • ja20102004
    ja20102004 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Good luck. You can do this.
    I've been not logging since early in the year. I logged for about 6-8 months after reaching maintenance and then stopped. Things went well. I started logging over the summer because ice cream is my downfall and I wanted to keep tabs on things. I'm not weighing foods any more; just eyeballing amounts. If all goes well, come fall I'll stop monitoring again and go back to not logging.

Keep an eye on your weight range by weighing every month or so. If you edge upwards to your upper limit or beyond, cut back on portions for a few weeks.
    You can do this.
  • wuany
    wuany Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I quit logging for a couple of months and I gained a lot of the weight back. So I started logging agian no matter how bad it is. Once I get used to logging again then I'm going to try to start cutting out the bad stuff a little at a time to get back to where I was last year when I was doing a lot better.
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I haven't been logging since October and it's going fine. Once you learn and know the process, you might not need to log at all.

I think this is the way to go, if you don't have a real goal in mind and just want to keep in a reasonable maintain range.

I took the whole month of July off from jumping on a scale and logging. The extra time from not logging has really allowed me to get to bed a few minutes earlier.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'm not ready to stop logging - but last week I mostly avoided weighing foods, relying on portion control thru estimation. I'm now in what I consider 'pre-maintenance'. Aiming for a small (250) deficit, but still need to pay attention to the overall balance for nutrition. That week went well for me. Was nice to relax my standards a little and aim for a higher calorie count. (Had been doing 500/day deficit.) Amazing what ~250 calories more per day can mean.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I like changing things up to keep from getting bored so here is my latest. I think I am pretty well trained now in my new lifestyle and really haven't had any problems maintaining my weight for the last two months. I am going to stop logging for the next week and see how it goes. Anybody else try this?

I was on vacation for 5 weeks and I stopped my logging for a week without problems or consequences; and I was not even exercising. I didn't weigh my food for 5 weeks either. I just estimated (ate out a lot) or used cups but I was very aware of my nutritional needs and portion control.

I will be deactivating my account at the end of this week. After 4 years in MFP and in maintenance for almost 3 and half years is time to go solo. I know that I can do this because I don't have a love affair with food. Try it, sometimes we need to break away from our "dependency." Good luck!
  • dlbredesen
    dlbredesen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    After a 90 lb weight loss, I reached my goal in February. I have continued to log until today. I am confident that I have learned the skills to continue to maintain my weight. I eat mostly the same foods all the time. I research the menu before eating out. I will continue to use MFP daily but I am done logging food and exercise.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I will always log.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance mode since Nov, 2013. I still log everything. I never did weigh or measure my food and lost 65 pounds. I know good portions and how to maintain. I just like the record and, more importantly, it keeps me honest. I may one day stop logging. I don't know. So long as you don't start gaining I see no problem with not logging. It is a personal thing. I was unable to lose without logging so I am not so sure I could ever maintain that way.