I don't know how to exercise!

Options
2»

Replies

• goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    The important thing is just to move. Get up and run in place in intervals. Life weights or better yet, resistance bands or just do isometrics for ten minutes a couple times a day. You can exercise with no equipment and nothing but your body using bodyweight. I got my muscle that way along with isometrics and early on free weights and bands. It doesn't take anything fancy, no gym membership or DVDs It's a no brainer. Good luck to you.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    could someone please please tell me a simple basic exercise routine that i should start with,
    i have exercised before, swimming, walking , dance and weights but always felt like i hadn't a clue what i was doing!
    i need a simple starting point, what exercise how many reps, how many hours a week, how long before i increase the intensity, which areas of my body to work??? etc
    I am 250 pounds, 5ft 8
    What do you have to work with?
    Could you afford a couple sessions with a personal trainer? S/he could evaluate you, set you up with a program, explain how to increase the difficulty when you're ready, teach you how to use machines & free weights safely, etc.

Many gyms have trainers on staff. I use Planet Fitness, which is $10 per month, and I probably use more than that just taking showers. They have trainers who can do individual evaluations, plus they run classes which focus on training various parts of the body.

Start with walking. Pretty much everyone can do that. To make it harder, increase the speed, pick more hilly routes, do HIIT (walk 4.5 minutes, run 40 sec, gradually increase the running & decrease the walking).
    Look for bodyweight workouts - pushups, planking, situps, squats, toe raises, chair dips.

If you feel awkward doing some particular exercise, research to see if you're doing it right (youtube is great), or take a class, or find a local buddy to work with.

Here's a blog post I did about exercise: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/exercise-667080
    It discusses both cardio & weightlifting.
    Also one about goal setting (weight & calories): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/setting-goals-667045
    According to the BMI chart there, you should be between 125 - 160 lb.
    Since you have a lot to lose, aim for 2 lb per week at first. That's 1000 cal per day less than what you're eating now, or 1500 cal total. (Ignore net calories.) If you stay at 1500, it will eventually take you to 150 lb, which is a healthy weight for your height.

The CDC says:
    "Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake. However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity.
    To maintain your weight: work your way up to 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity, 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity, or an equivalent mix of the two each week."
    (The page explains moderate & vigorous.)
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Open your front door and go for a walk
  • mikekelly1234
    mikekelly1234 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a code word for getting up and moving. Going for a walk, jog, or even a run is a good place to start. That's what I've been told at least. Anything to get your heart rate elevated for a period of time, usually 30 minutes 3 times a week. That's a start. I'm by no means an expert, but I assure you that this is a good start.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Walking! I could only walk about 10 before being out of breath when I began my healthier life style. I added 5 minutes a week until I was consistently walking 30 minutes per day and then I added small hand weight exercises. Keep it simple. Too much and you will get demotivated. Good luck! :)
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Here you go. It comes with pictures and everything. http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Don't make this more complicated than it has to be. There is no right answer here, you don't have to be perfect. Just get moving and learn as you go. For a simple way to start, try going for a walk at a pace comfortable for you, wherever you want to walk, until you start getting tired. Unless you have a disability you didn't mention, walking should be a familiar thing that you aren't going to do wrong or mess up or whatever. The only way to mess up walking is to push yourself to walk too far too fast and end up with an injury. So listen to your body and stop if it hurts. Eventually you'll notice that it takes longer to get tired and be able to walk faster. Just gradually work your way up to a few miles a day, a few days a week.

Eventually you might want to add something new in to keep it interesting...strength training, yoga, swimming, whatever. You can cross that bridge later, once you figure out the walking and gain some confidence.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Alternate walking one day and body weight strength the next. I highly recommend the You Are Your Own Gym book/app. The app is $5 or something like it. But well worth it! It includes 4 progressive programs. Start with the beginner program and go from there. The program takes the guess work out because it tells you how many sets and reps and how long to rest, etc. I love it!