Having guests for dinner - what do you serve?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
It doesn't happen much, but we're going to have family over soon, and I was wondering what people typically cook when they have people over? Would really like to keep it all under 800 calories or something (including dessert).

Replies

• shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'd go for something simple with a lean protein and lots of veggies to keep calories low but stay tasty so your guests don't realize what you're doing haha. Maybe chicken breast with mushroom/zuchinni/etc.? I'm no help with dessert though sorry!
  • The_Hungry_Atheist
    Options
    Grill out. Chicken...steak. A nice side salad and a choice of sweet or baked potatoes with a do it yourself toppings bar. That way you can stay on track and others will not even notice.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,654 Member
    Options
    For a low cal meal to feed a crowd, I would do a lean roast (say spatchcock chicken or roast beef) and a variety of roast vegetables (courgette, broccoli, cauliflower, parsnips, carrots, asparagus, sugar snaps). Throw in some roast potatoes for people who are not watching calories.

If it is too hot to use the oven, I would do chicken breasts a la plancha on a cast iron griddle pan. Griddle courgettes, aubergines and asparagus in advance to serve at room temperature. Make mash for people who are not watching calories.

For dessert, my low fat favourites are berry clafoutis and English summer pudding. Another summer favorite is purreed frozen banana, with some frozen berries, eventually with a little commercial custard mixed in.

Let me know if you want more details about cooking any of these dishes (times, temperatures).
  • thenolanz
    thenolanz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Grilled pork tenderloin (marinated or use a rub), roasted baby potatoes, a ton of grilled veg or a huge salad (or both!). Ice cream bar (with lower cal ice cream choices and fruit toppings -- grilled peaches/nectarines are awesome) for dessert!
  • icu814me2
    icu814me2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Grill petite steaks,cewers of shrimp and grilled veggies. Brush the shrimp with olive oil and sprinkle with old bay seasoning. 3 minutes on the grill total for medium shrimp. DONT over cook. Buy a wire basket for the grill and do some veggies. Roll in a little EVO and sea alt and pepper. Put's the cooking outside. Less mess and not heating up the house. Get angel food cake, cool whip and berries for desert and ice cream for those who can afford it.!!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    800 cals, INCLUDING dessert? :huh: Are you trying to starve your guests? Remind me to never eat at your place. :noway:

If you yourself are trying to keep calories limited to a certain number, please feel free to do so. But don't force your guests to eat as little as you do. That's weird, and I would be absolutely MORTIFIED if I had guests over for dinner and they went home hungry. Which will almost certainly be the case if you try to limit their calorie intake along with yours. Just eat smaller portions than them.
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I could easily top 800 calories just for dessert ;-P

seafood is usually good, low in calories and high in protein. I love grill salmon, you can put a bed of sliced lemon on the grill to prevent the salmon fells apart and it gives a nice test for your fish.

Mix fruit platter for dessert or mix berries with some cool whip. Frozen yogurt or fruit ice/pop are good too
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    If you are entertaining guests, I would not focus on the calories, and just make them a fantastic meal. This meal would depend on what the night was for.. Are you planning on sitting outside for a bbq? Is this a more formal type meal? How many people are you cooking for? All of this comes into play when I'm deciding on what to cook. What are you good at making?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The "calories" is completely dependent on how much someone eats and not a concern for a dinner party. You can measure yourself all you want, but your guests should leave full and happy.

One of my favorites that is delicious, easy and not labor intensive so you can enjoy yourself:

Bourbon Pork Tenderloin & Mustard Sauce: http://makelifespecial.com/bourbon-pork-tenderloin-with-mustard-sauce/

Serve w/ fresh steamed broccoli or roasted seasoned veggies
    Sweet potato or Rice, Biscuits... whatever
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Here's one of my favorite healthy meals, for a crowd. Bone-in chicken breasts, with skin removed. Cook briefly in microwave to heat through. Spray chicken with olive oil and rub well with this mixture: equal parts brown sugar, salt, ground cumin, ground coriander, black pepper, paprika. Grill at medium heat for about 8-10 minutes, spray with additional oil and turn. Cook for additional 8-10 minutes. Check for done-ness by piercing with a sharp knife. If juices run clear, chicken is done. Thanks to the brown sugar, the rub makes a kind of "skin" that keeps the juices in.

I serve this chicken with homemade gazpacho (homemade salsa is also good) and Indian-style cucumber raita. Raita recipe is: 1 large cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise and seeds removed. Halve lengthwise again, slice into 1/4 inch pieces. Chop 1 small sweet onion coarsely. Sprinkle cucmber & onion with a tsp. of salt and drain in a strainer for about 20-30 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly toast 1-2 tsp. ground cumin in a non-stick pan. Seed and dice one medium tomato. Chop fresh cilantro to yield about 1/2 cup. Stir the cumin into one quart of low-fat or fat-free plan yogurt (I like the Greek style) in a deep bowl. Add the cucumber, add 1 tsp. sea salt, onions, tomatoes & cilantro and stir gently. Chill for 30 minutes so flavors can marry.

Boiled sweet corn or a three-bean-salad are good sides. Really, any fresh vegetable would work..For dessert I make a fruit salad with fresh blueberries, cherries and strawberries or other seasonal fruit.

Now I'm hungry! =)
  • jenmcdav
    jenmcdav Posts: 67
    Options
    grilled chicken or fish, corn on the cob and marinated veggie kabobs. for dessert, strawberry shortcake with angel food cake.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The "calories" is completely dependent on how much someone eats and not a concern for a dinner party. You can measure yourself all you want, but your guests should leave full and happy.

^^^^^^

You can serve pretty much anything you think people will enjoy. I always do up a big salad with plenty of dressing options and have things like hummus or some other dip, maybe some nuts, for people to snack on ahead of time.

For a main course, some kind of casserole or baked or grilled chicken. How formal is this going to be? Or is it just people coming to enjoy a relaxed evening together?

A nice summery dessert is strawberry shortcake, but you can use any (or a variety of) fruit. Last time I did it, I had strawberries and blueberries as options.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options

One of my favorites that is delicious, easy and not labor intensive so you can enjoy yourself:

Bourbon Pork Tenderloin & Mustard Sauce: http://makelifespecial.com/bourbon-pork-tenderloin-with-mustard-sauce/

The tenderloin recipe sounds delicious! I've saved it for future use.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Since you'll be having the guests for dinner (I don't recommend eating people but...), sriracha sauce might go well with it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    If you are entertaining guests, I would not focus on the calories, and just make them a fantastic meal. This meal would depend on what the night was for.. Are you planning on sitting outside for a bbq? Is this a more formal type meal? How many people are you cooking for? All of this comes into play when I'm deciding on what to cook. What are you good at making?

Jen already asked most of the same questions I was going to... how many people, how formal, cook inside or outside, are there going to be any kids, any dietary restrictions, etc. What kind of food do you like and what are you good at making?

I'm sure you could pull this off for less than 800 calories, but I think you will limit your options pretty severely if you do that. I would plan a menu that is reasonably healthy but still tasty, one that minimizes your stress and maximizes your guests enjoyment, and then worry about the calories after the fact. You can estimate ahead of time and either plan to eat smaller portions, or exercise more that day, or make adjustments through the week so you can enjoy the dinner as much as your guests.

As a general rule in the summer, I think grilling and focusing on local, fresh ingredients is always a sure winner! If you give us some direction, I am sure we can come up with more specific suggestions!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

The tenderloin recipe sounds delicious! I've save it for future use.

It's seriously a crowd pleaser and SO easy. I cook mine right in the sauce and baste it occasionally. It tastes like a candy on the outside.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    1-800-PAPAJOHNS
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    are your guests also trying to losing weight?

if not, i would suggest focusing on making something delicious that everyone will really like.

if you want to keep it to 800cals for you, then great....eat 800 cals worth.

eta: i'd be annoyed if i went to a dinner party and all i got was 800cals worth of steamed crap (unless of course it was lobster and shellfish....then id be happy for steamed crap...i'd just need more than 800cals worth.) ;)