Low carb/Low calorie dinners

Options
eisners
eisners Posts: 10 Member
I tend to try and keep a moderately low carb diet, but also try not to get all my protein sources from meat. Lately I have been eating oatmeal for breakfast and black bean tostadas for lunch. It is great for work and both very filling, but then I come home to meals where I can only eat very few carbs and want to be below 500 calories. Since I work out after work and I am HUNGRY at the dinner point and sometimes end up going over my calorie and carb counts.

I also have limited food choices due to food allergies and ibs. No soy, lettuce(greens). Wheats and rice are out because of carb count and a person can only eat so many lentils!

I am staring to get sick of grilled chicken, grilled fish and vegetable stir frys. Anyone have any different ideas?

Replies

• Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    How about a turkey meatloaf and maybe green beans, or sweet potato fries in the oven. I love to make a meatloaf sandwich the next day with my 35 calorie bread, and tomato, and horseradish brown mustard....hope this helps
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/turkey-meatloaf-10000001559148/

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving
    Calories: 208
    Fat: 7g
    Saturated fat: 1.5g
    Monounsaturated fat: 2g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
    Protein: 25g
    Carbohydrate: 13g
    Fiber: 1g
    Cholesterol: 75mg
    Iron: 2mg
    Sodium: 356mg
    Calcium: 36mg

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil $
    1 large onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups) $
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
    1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
    1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1/3 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    3 tablespoons ketchup, divided $
    1 3/4 pounds ground turkey, 97% lean $
    3/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
    1 large egg, lightly beaten $
    1 large egg white, lightly beaten $
    Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 375°. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, broth, and 1 tablespoon ketchup; transfer mixture to a large bowl, and cool.
    2. Add turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, egg white, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to mixture in bowl, and mix well. (Mixture will be very moist.)
    3. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and coat lightly with cooking spray. Form the turkey mixture into a loaf, and place on the pan. Brush meatloaf evenly with remaining 2 tablespoons ketchup. Bake 1 hour or until thermometer inserted into center registers 170°. Let meatloaf stand 5 minutes before serving
  • jenben74
    jenben74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should change your carbs around on the days you work out so they're before and after your workouts. You need them for energy and then need to replenish them afterward. Breakfast ideas could be protein smoothies, cottage cheese, eggs, greek yogurt and fruit etc.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Replace pasta dish by spaghetti squash, that's one of my favorite.
    And mix up your lentil dish.

Indian lentil curry is one of my fav. Add some veggies to it and it's a perfect meal.

You can make chicken/turkey burgers and just skip on the bread. I really like to go "fancy" on them, I add stuff in the ground meat like feta cheese, red onion and lemon or pinnapple, red onion and pepper. Add an egg if it doesn't stay together, 1 tsp of bread crumbs if it's too wet. Mix everything, grill or oven baked, it's delicious.

Chili is also a good option, you can go vegan or have some lean ground meat.

Stuffed squash (like zucchini, eggplant or butternut sqash). Go for lean meat and veggies, or even italian style with ricotta chesse, spinach and mozzarella in a tomato sauce

Soup is a must in my life, I have some so often. Add what ever you feel like to broth and let it simmer for 30-60 minutes. And mixing it up is so easy. Change the broth to chicken, beef or vegetable. Even add canned tomato to jazz it up once in a while. Add veggies and protein that you fancy for the day. Lately I'm a fan of chicken, peas, corn and a dry soup mix (lentils, barley, split peas). Just split peas with bacon (go turkey, less calorie), onion and celery. traditional minestrone but replace noodle for quinoa (I'm not sure on the carbs count for quinoa...). Italian wedding soup is also a great no carbs option. it's meat balls (again, go for turkey or chicken for calorie) with kale or spinach in a clear broth.

Quiche is a really low cal option and you go crustless you are cards free. My basix recipe is 1 cup of cottage cheese (The small container or half the big one) for 4 eggs. Add whatever you feel like, already cooked, sprinkle more cheese is you like, bake for 45 minute in a pie dish or 20 minutes if in muffin pan. Spinach and mushroom is a big favorite of mine. Brocoli always delicious. caramelized onion, fennel and nuts is also very good. Make sure to spay your pan other it will still to the bottom.

good luck.
  • eisners
    eisners Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    awesome suggestions! Thank you!
  • becomingbeautifultoday
    becomingbeautifultoday Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Ham and Asparagus melts

Cook a ham steak in a pan. Then spread seeded mustard on top, line up asparagus spears on top of that, and hen top off with a slice of swiss cheese and melt in the oven. It's so yummy, you wont know what hit you!! Very few carbs in this one!