Can someone experienced help me with my TDEEs?

Options
Hi-
I would love if someone could give me some help figuring out this whole calorie thing. I've read several of the success stores and followed the links they provide to help me figure out exactly how much I should be eating. I understand that I need to figure out my TDEE, take a small percentage (but not too big of a percentage) of that off to get my daily calories.

I'm 5'2", 135lbs, 41 yr old female.... very little muscle left. Should probably weigh closer to 120

When I go to Scooby calculator it says that my

BMR= 1235
TDEE= 1482

So.... does that mean I should be eating at around 1300?? I want to make sure that I'm understanding this right. Also, does Macros mean the percentage you give for each protein/carbs/ etc.
Anyone that can help me out with this is my hero. ;-)

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you don't exercise yes that is a good estimate for your TDEE.

1300-1400 would be a good goal to lose 15lbs but perhaps you should consider adding in some exercise such as resistence or strength training.

And Yes your macros are carb/protein/fat which are usually view as a percentage.
  • phys72
    phys72 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree with adding in exercise/weight training. I'm very limited right now due to an injury so I would love to know what my daily calorie goal is without exercise. I'm slowly trying to add in exercise and will adjust my calories once I'm able.

Thank you!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I would guess your TDEE is higher than you think. Can you afford a FitBit? It really opened my eyes to the number of calories I used just living day-to-day life.
  • Booda101
    Booda101 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Does your injury prevent you from getting walks in? Nice low impact activity, but every little bit helps.
  • phys72
    Options
    yes, actually walking is the one thing I can't do. :-(
    BUT..... i've discovered that I don't have much pain on a stationary bike so I've been slowly trying to do that. I also try to do some weight training but can only do some of the exercises so not on any consistent plan.

I would love to get a fitbit..... I was actually waiting because I hoped they would come out with a new force. I'll have to check around and see whats out there.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I forget what the name of this formula is (Miffin?)

10 X (Weight in kg) + 6.25 X (Height in cm) – 5 X (Age in years) – 161

Multiply the above result by...
    1.20 - no exercise
    1.38 - strenuous exercise 3x / week
    1.42- strenuous exercise 4x / week
    1.46- strenuous exercise 5x / week
    1.50- strenuous exercise 6x / week
    1.64- strenuous exercise 7x / week

Start with small deficits to see the maximum calories you can lose weight with; it'll help maintain a good metabolism and set you up better for long-term success.
  • OllyJ_79
    OllyJ_79 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    This site is actually very easy to understand and relate to every day activity

http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee
  • phys72
    Options
    This site is actually very easy to understand and relate to every day activity

THANK YOU!!!
    I really like this site. It explains it in a way I understand. Perfect. Thanks!
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options

Best explanation I've read yet... AND it figures it all out for you! Hope it works :):bigsmile:

ETA: added the website :)
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Awesome site and explanation. Thanks so much.
  • mkchris
    mkchris Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link... Also found it helpful!