desperate need of support.

Options
mamadriver13
mamadriver13 Posts: 33 Member
Tomorrow I start MFP...I am scared to death! I am 26 years old, 5'5 and weight 245. I have a wonderful husband and 3 small kids who need their wife/mom back. I have completely consumed myself with food the past few years and there is no hiding it. I will start a diet, quit, eat, be miserably fat, and then start again. This vicious cycle has to stop. This sounds embarrassing to say, but I think I am addicted to food. It affects my mood, etc...and I am tired of it. Physically and Emotionally. My kids deserve better, and I deserve better. Will be looking for tons of support for the months to come- but I wanted to ask...I just joined the gym and plan to go at least 3 times a week. I think the part I am struggling with the most is WHAT to eat and what to steer clear from, like gah, I wish it was easy enough just for something to make me a food agenda, and whatever it says, i eat! I could follow that much easier! What are some good breakfast, lunch, and dinner menu ideas that I could eat to help me stay on track? Also- what workouts should I be doing? I always just find myself on the treadmill...Any tips will help. Am looking to lose about 85lbs (really only focused on the first 50 for now)...Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• rosanna88_
    rosanna88_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I'm 26, 5'0 and 250lbs. I'm getting tired of having to "start over" so many times. We can do this!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    why tomorrow?
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Low impact high intensity workouts, and then maybe branch out into more higher impact stuff if you can, and just start making small changes with the food, cut out soda, stop snacking too much, etc.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    why tomorrow?
    this, &
    keep your promises to yourself- this is the best advice I have.
  • LogansMomTX
    Options
    I'm right there with you!!! 247 lbs. 5' 5". Just diagnosed with pre-diabeted Type 2. Gotta get going!!! I'd love to help support you! I'm not new to MFP, but I'm just getting back after being gone a while. Friend me if you want!!!

Welcome to MFP and GOOD LUCK! :flowerforyou:
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    why tomorrow?

This.

And my tips are to log EVERYTHING, even if you go way over. And don't worry about what to eat, eat what you enjoy, just make it fit into your calorie goal. You will be much more successful that way.

Good luck.
  • Qcrazy
    Qcrazy Posts: 19
    Options
    Look up Authority Nutrition food addiction. Im on day 50 of working on not being a food addict anymore.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me for support! I have been logging every day for the past 208 days and have lost and kept it off without rebounding. I know if I don't log and keep my calories in check it will come back. Just a few tips I have found that have helped me on the journey..
    Make sure you log daily and be honest. Weigh your food. Don't guess what size it is or how much it weighs.

Drink water (at least 64oz should be your daily goal).

Don't fall into the 1200 calorie per day trap. Set your goal for 1 lb per week. Even though it will be a slow loss it will be a sustainable loss. Most people start gung-ho with 1200 calories which quickly makes them feel like they are starving (because most of them are after not watching their calories for however long). You will lose!

Watch your sodium intake. You can do this by limiting or avoiding processed foods. Even prepackaged diet foods are laden with sodium. Try to set a goal of no more than 2300mg daily.

ALSO...NEVER GIVE UP! Set your goal and accomplish them weather it is for you, your kids, family. You CAN do this! Even if you have a bad meal/day/days/week...you can always start over with the next opportunity.

Best of luck to you and I hope this helps!
  • mamadriver13
    mamadriver13 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Tuesdays are the start of my work week and it is just easier for me to track that way- I guess there is no reason to 'wait' at all, I am just starting to LOG tomorrow. Going home tonight and ridding my fridge and pantry of all temptations!

What are some good breakfast suggestions?? (I never used to eat breakfast so this is going to be a whole new, (BETTER) world to me!)
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    This sounds embarrassing to say, but I think I am addicted to food. It affects my mood, etc...and I am tired of it. Physically and Emotionally.

It's not embarrassing to admit that at all. It's brave.

A good friend of mine is a member of OA and it has been a tremendous help for her. Look for a 12 step program near where you live. It could make all of the difference for you.

Best of Luck!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My advice? Don't worry about WHAT you're eating right now. Worry about being honest with yourself. Commit to logging every single bite of food you consume. Do that for two weeks - completely (EVERY BITE) and honestly (EVERY. SINGLE. BITE.), and you'll find yourself making different choices almost by accident. You can do this!

One more piece of advice - you didn't put weight on over night - it won't come off over night. I've lost over 60 pounds, and it took me nearly 18 months. But it took me 13 years to creep up to that weight. With patience and determination, you can get healthier, and look and feel great. :flowerforyou:
  • n2dagoal
    n2dagoal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Be kind to yourself. Track what you eat, even if it is over. I like doing 7 or 30 day challenges. 7 day challenge - add more fruits and veggie into each meal. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Yay for you for starting!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Well everyone has their own approach to the food aspect. A lot of people "eat clean" and some people choose IIFYM.

I do IIFYM. I like it because it gives me flexibility. I can enjoy myself in social settings or just simply have a treat when I want it. IIFYM stands for 'if it fits your macros'. It serves as an answer to that age-old question "is it okay to eat this?" Basically, you would have to research the macronutrient and micronutrient content of your food and make a judgment call based on what you have already consumed, what you plan to consume, and what macro goals you have set for yourself.

The concept is essentially just watching what you eat. You can modify your diary to add specific micronutrients. For example, I monitor electrolytes as I tend to be a bit sensitive to imbalance.

I would also suggest that you do a little research on the macronutrients so you can make wise choices about your macro goals. A lot of people have a tendency to want to omit fat from their diet, but dietary fat regulates hormones that can affect your weight loss.

I hope this post was helpful. Best of luck!
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    why tomorrow?

Welcome to the party....feel free to add me.

The past is done. The future will be here soon enough. What you have to do is focus on today & today only. Its all we have to work with, my friend.

I woulda been dead in 5 years if I hadn't made this commitment. All signs were pointing that way.

Just a few things the MFP tribe and common sense has taught me:

1) This is a thing you DO, not a definition of who you ARE. Just like laundry. Take the emotion out of it wherever possible. I cannot stress this enough.

2) My approach? This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. So there is no finite number of days that I am trying to get to. I will be logging in and logging food for the rest of my life, because:

a) This program works
    b) I don't want to die young and I was headed that direction

3) Try to remember - We are the results of the choices we make every day, whether those choices are good or bad. Make as many good choices as you can, and the ship will stay steady. At the end of the day, we are the man in the mirror. We are accountable to ourselves and no one else. We cabhelp you with getting there, but the doing is up to you. Leave rationalizing at the door, and be honest with yourself. Its the only path to long term success

Cal tracking is considered a good choice (whether boring or not) because it tells you where you really are (just like your check register tells you your balance) - remember to be honest with yourself all the time. Ultimately, you will achieve that which you are seeking much sooner.

If you will commit to doing the work, your MFP tribe will commit to helping. WhY? Because that's what we do. And we have ALL been there.

Three months ago? I couldn't move. Saturday? An hour on the treadmill and was craving more when I left :)

You got this.

Fsunami
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you try to keep things varied and interesting. Try out different things for each meal and see what works for you in your routine and what you like/don't like. Try to keep a balanced diet and incorporate small amounts of things you like into your allowance.

This is about eating for the future not a short term fix so it is worth spending a few weeks experimenting with foods, trying new things and working out what works for you.

Also, any excersise that you can do is fine- just get active where you can and incorporate it into your life. Use this as an opportunity to try out different things- walking, swimming, gym classes etc.

Write down the reasons why you want to lose weight and go back to them when you are feeling disheartened. This isn't a quick process but if you stick to your calorie allowance and get active, you will get there.

Good luck.
  • jenmcdav
    jenmcdav Posts: 67
    Options
    Not that you need a gadget to make this breakfast, but I got the breakfast sandwich maker from Hamilton Beach as a Christmas gift and it's a great way to make it seem exciting to make yourself a decent breakfast. if you put a whole wheat English muffin in there with two egg whites and a slice of American cheese, it's filling and it's only around 250 calories, I think. Other breakfast ideas that I like are nonfat vanilla yogurt with blueberries and granola, peanut butter on a whole wheat english muffin or whole wheat bread, half a turkey sandwich on wheat, or, if I'm really in a hurry and don't want to prep anything, a Cliff bar or just dry shredded wheat cereal that I throw into a baggie and eat in the car or at my desk at work. Good luck!
  • lindan8r
    lindan8r Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First, what kind of diet(s) have you tried in the past? If they are too restrictive, then that may account for the bouncing back and forth. Find an eating plan that is sustainable for the LONG-TERM, not a fad diet that you'll last a week on.

Second, allow yourself small failures. Did you have a cupcake after lunch because it was your co-worker's birthday? Big deal. Log it and move on. A lot of times, I will beat myself up for not being "perfect," and I end up throwing up my hands and saying, "Screw it...I'll just eat what I want." Which, of course, does NOT work. A good reminder is "NEVER TWO IN A ROW." If you mess up one meal, don't let yourself mess up on the next one. Or if you mess up for a whole day, get back on track on Day 2.

Third, what are your biggest obstacles that cause you to go off track? Write them down, and come up with a way to circumvent them. Have a plan. Sadly, eating at home is my biggest obstacle because I hate to cook. My solution so far has been to use my Crock Pot as much as I can. I can cook several servings at once, and freeze the remainders for leftovers another week. I'm also looking into prepping and/or cooking meals for the entire week or month, but I haven't quite made that step yet. But...it's a plan. :)

Best of luck. I have been (and continue to be) where you are now. There is lots of good advice here, and plenty of support, so you have a running start!

Best of luck!
  • cocorosalie
    cocorosalie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    YOGA! It's the greatest thing. doyogawithme.com is a fantastic place to start, but I recommend a class.
    If ever you feel a bit discouraged, take daily strolls in beautiful scenery. Play games outside with your kids! Skip a whole 5 blocks. Just get up and get active eery day.
    Always try to add some strength training, alternating between legs, arms, abs and back. Aim for 30 mins of intense cardio a day, whether rowing, stair stepping, elliptical or stationary bike. Running is the best imo, but not everyone's a runner.

As for the food thing, you're gonna want to start being completely restrictive from day one, and I'm telling you, that's not gonna work. You might be able to restrict for a day or two (hell even a week), but the minute you accidentally-purposefully eat a whole bag of candy in one sitting, you're going to feel like a failure and want to give up. YOU DON'T HAVE TO SAY GOODBYE TO THE FOOD YOU LOVE. Moderation is key! If sweets are your thing, have one a day, AFTER your work out. You like fried foods? Fry some zucchini or mushrooms in good old sunflower or vegetable oil. Also, learn to sub out healthier options. In a time crunch and only have time for fast food? Wendy's has great salads and their chilli isn't too bad for you. Sonic's grilled chicken wraps are alright. Chik fil a is my go to, the market grilled salad w/ berry balsamic is the BOMB! Ditch the ranch and try some vinaigrettes. Side salad instead of fries. More fresh, less processed. Log what you eat. Don't punish yourself. Accept who you are at this moment, and envision who you want to be.

Buying some diet and nutrition books will help you sort out your own plan, but if you have the funds, get a nutritionist and a trainer.

Above all, realize it will take work and diligence, but it doesn't have to be torture. Find your niche, the healthy foods and fun exercises YOU love. It'll take about a year to be exactly where you want to be, but hey, what do you have to lose? SOME POUNDS. We're here for you chick. You can DO this.
  • jenmcdav
    jenmcdav Posts: 67
    Options
    Oh-- if you're eating on the road. Starbuck's has a reduced fat turkey bacon breakfast sandwich that is good, filling and not bad on calories. (It's in the database.) Also, their perfect Oatmeal is like 160-ish calories plain and another 100 calories if you add the packet of dried fruit to it. It's pretty good!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    There are no particular foods you need to steer free from as long as you don't have any allergies or intolerances. Just log everything meticulously and hit your macros. If you don't already have a food scale, buy one. They are the only way you can know exactly how much of something you are consuming.

You got this!