Cardio or Weight Training??

Options
2»

Replies

• lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Are you in maintenance now that you have gone back to 1-2 cardio days?

I'm pretty much in maintenance now as far as calories go. I also think I'm pretty much in maintenance as far as cardio too. I'm really only using cardio as a tool for cardiovascular health vs. a tool for weight loss. I've been focusing more on strength. I figured time-wise, I would have to cut back on cardio in order to fit in 3 days of lifting.
  • BabyWeight710
    Options
    I'm confused. You say you're a fitness professional? You are supposed to know this stuff right? Why are you asking random, untrained, strangers on message boards for opinions?

If I found out my trainer was doing this I'd be really concerned and would drop him in a second.

I would appreciate that my trainer is trying to keep "in the loop" and looking for what is best. Im not a "fitness professional" but I have been a coach for years. I don't claim to know everything, but it seems like every meeting and training program I go to, the idea of how to lose weight seems to change.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. You say you're a fitness professional? You are supposed to know this stuff right? Why are you asking random, untrained, strangers on message boards for opinions?

If I found out my trainer was doing this I'd be really concerned and would drop him in a second.

Because what they teach you at school 5-7 years ago is always changing and evolving because that is what the fitness industry does. If I just went with what I was taught and never asked other fitness experts on here and never opened my mind to other up to date training and fitness methods then I might as well be that person that thinks 'low fat' is still important.

If your trainer isn't out there asking questions and 'researching' (obvi I take everything I read with a grain of salt) then I would concerned. Who am I to think I never should ask questions? No one knows everything, no matter what your profession is.

For more information, studies, and such on nutrition and exercise, please read all the stickies in this group.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

This is also another good group with info:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/8101-the-school-of-strout

And three websites with loads of studies and articles I recommend reading:

www.body-improvements.com
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/
    http://bretcontreras.com/
  • bregrig
    bregrig Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have been weight training for a year now, and I would do cardio about 2 days a week, (not because it helps with my fat loss, but to have a bit of aerobic exercise and to keep healthy).
    Personally I find weight training the best for losing weight- it makes me sweat like crazy, and also the variety of exercises and being able to have strength goals etc, has kept me going for a whole year, 6 days a week. It's now my lifestyle, but I know if I had stuck with cardio, as I had previously, it was more of a 'month-on, month-off' novelty.
    However, I guess it depends on your goals. It is a very slow process this way- building muscle and losing fat (which I can state- is possible), as I weigh the exact same since I started training, but have lost body-fat and went down in clothes sizes. I have been at different weights, and this, being my heaviest, is also my leanest. Weights all the way! From me, but I do admit that I see some girls on their cardio machines, and they look amazing too:), personal preference to how you lose the weight:)

Great post, thank you!
  • bregrig
    Options

Because what they teach you at school 5-7 years ago is always changing and evolving because that is what the fitness industry does. If I just went with what I was taught and never asked other fitness experts on here and never opened my mind to other up to date training and fitness methods then I might as well be that person that thinks 'low fat' is still important.

If your trainer isn't out there asking questions and 'researching' (obvi I take everything I read with a grain of salt) then I would concerned. Who am I to think I never should ask questions? No one knows everything, no matter what your profession is.

For more information, studies, and such on nutrition and exercise, please read all the stickies in this group.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

This is also another good group with info:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/8101-the-school-of-strout

And three websites with loads of studies and articles I recommend reading:

www.body-improvements.com
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/
    http://bretcontreras.com/

This is great thank you :happy:
  • bregrig
    Options

I would appreciate that my trainer is trying to keep "in the loop" and looking for what is best. Im not a "fitness professional" but I have been a coach for years. I don't claim to know everything, but it seems like every meeting and training program I go to, the idea of how to lose weight seems to change.

:flowerforyou:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    My doctor... and trainer have recommended at least 45 minutes of cardio/ cardio session... I believe this ensures that my body kicks in to create all the appropriate chemical processes that a person needs... from a mechanical point of view... the body as a machine... 45 minute bouts of cardio help make sure all the moving parts are getting their work out...

like.. I have a friend. who has a VW diesel... and it's been running cr*ppy... and she's been blaming the turbo charger... had it replaced 2-3 times... (on warranty) ... anyway I did some reading.. and apparently the car needs to be taken onto the highway.. for an uninterrupted burn of not less than 20 minutes... in order to ensure the carbon in the exhaust system doesn't clog up the motor...

same with Cardio for humans... literature and studies indicate that we need a 45 minute cardio burn on a regular basis (MY trainer suggests at least 5 hours a week in NOT less than 45 minute sessions) BUT who has time for 45 minutes of cardio? it is merely a goal... what the lit doesn't say is how strenuous those 45 minutes need to be... moderate, High intensity... or low intensity...

personally I think so long as you are cognizant of a person's goals... for an obese sedentary client.. go heavy on the cardio for 3-4 months... because doing cardio with an extra hundred or so pounds .. is BOTH cardio and weigh training... once the client gets into a healthy cardio zone with enough weight burned off the chassis... then you can start to roll in some additional fitness "fun"

That's generally what I was thinking as well.. just wasn't sure with more active clients and myself if cutting moderate cardio significantly would make much difference, especially if weight training was increased throughout the week.

Doing cardio with an extra 100lbs isn't cardio AND weight training......it's cardio.
  • bregrig
    Options
    My doctor... and trainer have recommended at least 45 minutes of cardio/ cardio session... I believe this ensures that my body kicks in to create all the appropriate chemical processes that a person needs... from a mechanical point of view... the body as a machine... 45 minute bouts of cardio help make sure all the moving parts are getting their work out...

like.. I have a friend. who has a VW diesel... and it's been running cr*ppy... and she's been blaming the turbo charger... had it replaced 2-3 times... (on warranty) ... anyway I did some reading.. and apparently the car needs to be taken onto the highway.. for an uninterrupted burn of not less than 20 minutes... in order to ensure the carbon in the exhaust system doesn't clog up the motor...

same with Cardio for humans... literature and studies indicate that we need a 45 minute cardio burn on a regular basis (MY trainer suggests at least 5 hours a week in NOT less than 45 minute sessions) BUT who has time for 45 minutes of cardio? it is merely a goal... what the lit doesn't say is how strenuous those 45 minutes need to be... moderate, High intensity... or low intensity...

personally I think so long as you are cognizant of a person's goals... for an obese sedentary client.. go heavy on the cardio for 3-4 months... because doing cardio with an extra hundred or so pounds .. is BOTH cardio and weigh training... once the client gets into a healthy cardio zone with enough weight burned off the chassis... then you can start to roll in some additional fitness "fun"

That's generally what I was thinking as well.. just wasn't sure with more active clients and myself if cutting moderate cardio significantly would make much difference, especially if weight training was increased throughout the week.

Doing cardio with an extra 100lbs isn't cardio AND weight training......it's cardio.

I do think it is important for those kinds of clients to weight train since building muscle is important and helps make cardio easier IMO (running or walking would be easier if they were adding leg raises, shallow squats, etc. since legs are stronger).
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I do think it is important for those kinds of clients to weight train since building muscle is important and helps make cardio easier IMO (running or walking would be easier if they were adding leg raises, shallow squats, etc. since legs are stronger).

Agreed. I don't think they are building copious amounts of muscle as much as they are getting their body stronger in preparation for the stress that can be put on the body through cardio, but I don't believe doing 45 mins of cardio at that weight is cardio AND weight training.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Agreed. I don't think they are building copious amounts of muscle as much as they are getting their body stronger in preparation for the stress that can be put on the body through cardio, but I don't believe doing 45 mins of cardio at that weight is cardio AND weight training.

^ This.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

I appreciate your desire to improve your knowledge. However, I would recommend more focus on increasing your knowledge of the fundamentals of exercise physiology, rather than looking for the latest trends.

You mention that the fitness industry is "always changing and evolving". That is because the "fitness industry" is full of parrots, lemmings, and grifters. The "changing and evolving" is because they have to keep coming up with new and creative ways to pick your pocket.

You say that things have "changed" in 5-7 years. I have been out of school for 30 years, and the fundamentals of human physiology haven't changed much at all. The principles behind "Tabata" and "HIIT" training were clearly described in one of my textbooks written in the 1970s, and the research cited was done in the 1940s and 50s.

The ASCM supporting book for its Guidelines, the Guidelines book itself and the NSCA fundamentals of strength training would provide a solid framework of knowledge. The links listed earlier are good references also.

Master the basics and you won't have to wonder if fat-burning exercise is a myth, if toning shoes work, if five finger shoes are gimmicks, if cardio "burns muscle", or if "muscle confusion" is gibberish--you'll know, even before the research is done.