Leg pain from running

Options
Hello MFP'ers,

I have a problem. I love to go for a good run to break up the boredom of the gym. Treadmills bore me so I love to go outside and run. Problem is, I have been experiencing a lot of pain in my right leg lately. The pain expands in between my right ankle and shoots up to my knee area sometimes.

My question is, could this be from old running shoes wearing out and need replaced?

I was also wondering if it is from running too much on concrete paths?

Any advice from someone who has dealt with this before would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    Running shoes yes

Also: Changing from treadmill to Concrete/ashpault another reason. You are not used to it. I'd replace your shoes and take easier/shorter runs on the paths until you get used to it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My question is, could this be from old running shoes wearing out and need replaced?.

What distance have you run in them, what distance do you run, how frequently and at what pace?

It could be one of a number of things, but if your shoes are worn out replacing them may help.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've been a runner for about five years now and mostly:

1. Get some good running shoes - go to a specialty store where they can analyse your walk and suggest a pair with the correct cushioning for you.
    2. Concrete is bad, avoid it when you can. Asphalt is actually * marginally * better because it has just a little more give than concrete, but dirt or grass paths are best.
    3. Running will hurt you, it's just hard on your body and your bones and joints don't like it.. take this from a 25 year old with a bum knee, a bum hip, and a supposedly recovered stress fracture in the foot that still gives me pains from time to time.

I don't run crazy distances like I used to, even tho I loved it because it just hurts too much. I run now and then just for fun, but it's not my workout anymore. Plus my bod looks way better and I can eat like a real person now that I primarily lift and just do the cardio for fun. My two cents, I know not everyone has as hard of a time with it, but I've found it's just not a sustainable option for me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    2. Concrete is bad, avoid it when you can. Asphalt is actually * marginally * better because it has just a little more give than concrete, but dirt or grass paths are best.
    3. Running will hurt you, it's just hard on your body and your bones and joints don't like it.. take this from a 25 year old with a bum knee, a bum hip, and a supposedly recovered stress fracture in the foot that still gives me pains from time to time.

Neither of those are problems that can't be fixed by using correct form and building up capacity at a reasonable rate. Concrete is not inherently better or worse than any other surface, as long as one uses a short pace, and focuses on controlling the foot through the cycle so that the landing and recovery portions of the step don't put unreasonable loads on the system.

Equally if one doesn't use appropriate shoes for ones gait then difficulties in form, or underlying biomechanical issues can be exacerbated.

As a load bearing activity running is good for bone density, if one eats an appropriate diet, and running with appropriate form also helps build up the muscular control and tendons around the joints, so improving their performance over time.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints.
  • jwiley78
    jwiley78 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I've been using the same shoes for about a year now and try to run 3 times a week with a minimum of 3 miles each run. I'm thinking for now I'm going to five my legs a rest for about another week and get some new shoes.

Hopefully things will get better after that.

I don't think it shin splints. I've had those before and this seems different.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I've been using the same shoes for about a year now and try to run 3 times a week with a minimum of 3 miles each run. I'm thinking for now I'm going to five my legs a rest for about another week and get some new shoes.

Running shoes have about a 500 mile life, less for heavier runners. Sounds like you're close to that.
    Hopefully things will get better after that.

I don't think it shin splints. I've had those before and this seems different.

Agreed, it doesn't sound like it from what you've described
  • jwiley78
    jwiley78 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Just an update.

Got a new set of Asics running shoes.

Stuck with eliptical exercises for about a month.

Back to running 2 or 3 times a week now and things seem better.

Thanks for all the advice.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    As a load bearing activity running is good for bone density, if one eats an appropriate diet, and running with appropriate form also helps build up the muscular control and tendons around the joints, so improving their performance over time.

Funny, an action we've evolved for is something that's good for us.

OP-
    New shoes
    Check running form

ETA - good on ya!
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Where does it hurt going from your ankle to your knee? And what kind of a pain is it? Is it more sharp or dull?

The reason I ask is I sometimes get a dull ache that goes from my ankle up to my knee along the inside and outside of my calf. Basically it's my soleus muscle swelling with nowhere to swell to. Compression sleeves really help. Resistance training of the soleus muscle (Seated calf raises, or any sort of exercise that exercises your calves with your knee bent) also helps with how quickly and severely it sets in
  • borovan2000
    borovan2000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This sounds like it could be related to a back issue. There are some lower vertebrae that refer nerve pain to that area. I'd seriously talk to a physio about it. I had pain shooting up my leg there for 2 years before I realised it was a back issue.