small hurt-feeling snuffle post

Options

Replies

• leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

Those dudes were lame. You are not. Carry on with your bad self.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pep-talk!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Let it be known that if I ever catch my kid pulling *kitten* like this, he will be very. very. very. sorry.

Me too! If my son every talks crap like this, he'll be in a world of hurt, especially because he knows how it feels.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Teenage boys are idiots. More important than a stranger's opinion of you is the opinion of dog-beast. I guarantee that dog-beast loves you, and loves you most of all when you are out walking with him.

THIS.

Here's something to make you feel better: teenage boys have the lowest survival rates than other demographics (aside from very old people).

Seriously, don't ever let strangers affect anything in your life, especially how you feel about yourself. I guarantee those boys forgot about what they did 30 seconds later; so should you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    I'm actually angry at myself for allowing this to bother me, but it does:
    As I was out walking my dog-beast (5 miles, 4 mph), a car of teen boys passed me and the guys "moo"ed at me. Twice.

I had been feeling pretty good, but that really made me uncomfortable.

And I'm miffed that I'm letting that be one more thing that makes me think about whether and when I can be outside in my community.

Gah!

The last time I was moo'ed at was when I was in junior high.... and I'm getting all of the angsty wobbles back. And I'm a grown-@ss woman!

I've worked at a high school for 20 years: I get called names often. I just wasn't able to let this bit go.
    More than likely because it was on your "personal" time than work time. Your defenses are up at school. You let them down at home and that's probably why it got to you.
    You know as well as anyone else that people will always find something to criticize you about, even if you were "perfect". Take a deep breath and smile.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • patrickca1942
    patrickca1942 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I understand your hurt feelings. I can't help but worry that this would result in you wanting to stay at home inside instead. (crawl under the covers?) I know when I am out walking I feel better. When I stay in and sit around the house I feel tired and depressed. You were out walking and that is a good thing. It probably also made your puppy feel pretty good too. I also agree with the person who referred to the "moo" as a sexist thing. The last time someone mooed at me, way back when I was in high school, (a long time ago) I inferred it was in reference to my bra size. Hugs. Hope you feel better soon.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Teenaged guys are stupid. Their brains are fully developed yet. Pity them, if anything.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I refuse to walk "the loop" here in town for exactly that reason. I walk around the school instead. I cant bring myself to walk out in public.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Can we stop with the generalisation already? There are many decent teenage boys out there. These happened to behave really appallingly, but not even that means they are totally rotten through and through. I detest generalisations.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Kids/teenagers/humans in general are douches. Don't worry, you're doing a great job. They probably get no love at home. Poor little mini douches. They think they're so cool and have no idea how lame they are.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Teenage boys are idiots. More important than a stranger's opinion of you is the opinion of dog-beast. I guarantee that dog-beast loves you, and loves you most of all when you are out walking with him.

This. Sorry they got to you. They have no brains and when they get in a group it is idiots on parade.
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    They're teenagers, they're opinion isn't worth spit. They got way too much freedom these days to do crap like this.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'll just put my favourite Eleanor Roosevelt quote here:
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent."

Nobody can make us feel anything, we allow ourselves to feel whatever we are feeling. Some people act in ridiculous ways with the intent to hurt us, but it doesn't stop there; the responsibility of feeling hurt also lies in us if we let it get to us.

No matter who it is and where in life, it is always secondary to the primary issue at hand; we haven't taken care of ourselves properly, but let someone on the outside be in charge in a way.

It's so cute to talk about how nasty someone else can be, but how about not treating ourselves in a nasty way? How about claiming responsibility for what happens in the mind? If it isn't a bunch of teenage boys, with 100% certainty it is someone else we complain about next week. Because it never ends until we change our strategy.

And how about turning the table to the compliments? For every nasty comment there are many more compliments, but those are conveniently forgotten about. How is it fair to those people to ignore all the nice things they said and did, to give such unproportionate amount of attention to the one negative episode?

So here we are, getting worked up about treating the symptom, instead of preventing the disease. Just putting things in perspective here.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    What on Earth is wrong with people? They are mooing at innocent victims now? Smh. Sorry that happened to you.
  • SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I get catcalls of all sorts whenever I'm walking on the main road near my house. Not in the neighborhoods on either side of the road, but up the main road. If it concerns you a lot, I've found that carrying a visible deterrent, like pepper spray, deters them. Mine has a clip and I strap it right onto my sports bra.
  • kaz321123
    kaz321123 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    People are so vicious and critical out there. Why do I bother going out in public and risk people saying this to me?

It really is as bad as I thought it was in public based on what I hear on this exact thread. It wasn't in my head or imaginary.

Yep-depressing. I have so many negative thoughts right now that I can't speak. I don't think I should've read this post to be honest.

When people become adults I'm thinking they have those same exact critical thoughts, they just won't tell you them. They keep them hidden, but I can still feel them. At least teenages are out with it, and I don't have to guess about how critical they are.

Would you enjoy being in public where every person that you encountered said you were a loser? Even if you liked yourself 100%, it would be hard to hear this. Would you like to go out each day and hear this?

Or worse yet, suppose they didn't call you a loser, and merely ignored you completely, like you didn't exist.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Don't let it bother you! I was walking on the beach and a bunch of teen age boys began mentioning "whale sighting"...I just smiled and told them to have a nice day, kept walking and didn't hear a peep out of them when I walked back.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I work with teenagers in a residential treatment setting. Have been for about 12 years. I have been called every flippin' name in the book… including comments about my weight. I wish I got paid per insult rather than per hour… I'd be a millionaire! I had to decide a long time ago that I was not going to let some dumb@$$ kid who can't control his temper or his hormones determine how I feel about myself.

I know that's easier said than done sometimes… but some rude drive-by comment (by anyone) says more about them than it does about you. Keep going. You're better than that!
  • shutch2112
    shutch2112 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Aww, man, I just hate beign called at from cars when I'm walking. Most of the time I can't even understand what they say, but to me it doesn't matter. The fact that they feel the need to yell at me at all as they drive by upsets me. Can't I just walk in peace? I feel instantly dirty after that, when before I was feeling great and proud of myself.

I'm really sorry those boys took the wind out of your sails for even a second, OP. I hope you feel better knowing you are awesome and people sympathize/care. :heart:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I can't see even one reason why that moo was relevant to you. I think it's random. It doesn't apply, sorry it happened! Hopefully you'll be able to shake it off. Frankly it was a reflection of them, not you at all!