Benefits of a sitting desk rather than a standing desk

Options
paperalien
paperalien Posts: 167 Member
So I have trialed a standing desk for the past 2 weeks at work.

I had constructed it out of empty paper boxes.

The negatives of a standing desk:
Everybody feels the need to comment on it :mad:
When you sit to take a break, people feel the need to point out that a standing desk is a waste if you sit. (I disagree here as it is called a break...) :explode:
Decreased productivity. (I couldn't be bothered working while standing, I seem to be very behind in my work)
Extremely sore feet :grumble:
It is really hard to get everything to the correct height for ergonomic uses.

Benefits of a standing desk:
Health benefits that the articles tell you about but probably only kick in if you use it for a year or so
People have something to talk about when they come and see you rather than awkwardly dropping off paper and racing away
You cause amusement for your coworkers (this only occurs when you are the only one with a standing desk) :drinker:

What I have found since returning to my original desk arrangement:
Everybody feels the need to comment on it
People seem to think that I am going to go back to accepting the junk food that is offered.
People decide to tell you that you did/didn't last standing for as long as they thought.
Everything seems so low down now.

I don't think I will return to a standing desk unless I manage to acquire a desk that is adjustable to different heights.

It feels amazing to be sitting right now :laugh:

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    We moved floors about 2 months ago and one of the elements of the new fit out is a bank of standing desks, where you can log into your own desk top and work standing for as long as you like (this is in addition to your regular desk). My desk backs onto this bank of standing desks and I can tell you since the move the use of the standing desks have been...

... nothing. Not once have they been used. They appear to have decome a dumping ground for stationary people have no use for and when we've had visitors from other offices who've needed a desk, there's been complaints that only standing desks were available, resulting in them being cranked down (they are adjustable) to normal sitting desk height.

Maybe we need a marketing campagin for them!
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I made myself a treadmill desk at home & used it for awhile before I switched back to my sitting desk. I just had a hard time concentrating on detailed things while I was also walking. It was fine if I was just messing around on the computer, but if I had something to do it was irritating.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    When I worked for onstar we had desks that you could raise and lower. It was amazing. You could sit when you felt like it and stand and wander as far as your headset tether would allow. It was awesome having the choice...
  • jtm4210
    jtm4210 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would love to have a standing/treadmill desk at work - no matter how many times I go to the kitchen/toilet/photocopier I always feel lazy and a bit "meh" when sitting in front of the computer. Unfortunately I don't see this happening any time soon as I've been there for over 6 months now and still don't even have a set of desk drawers...
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I have a desk that I neither sit nor stand at... it is somewhere I throw my keys on and my daily workpad....and maybe my lunch if I don't make it to the fridge.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I am on day 4 of my new adventures with a standing desk at work. I sleep much better at night and I can raise / lower it if I need to. I am buying a gel pad to stand on based on some research. I find that I don't eat at it though, I now eat sitting down in the cafeteria or i have a client lunch. When we have meetings sitting is a treat. I seem more focused and breath better.
  • benpoepen
    benpoepen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    We moved floors about 2 months ago and one of the elements of the new fit out is a bank of standing desks, where you can log into your own desk top and work standing for as long as you like (this is in addition to your regular desk). My desk backs onto this bank of standing desks and I can tell you since the move the use of the standing desks have been...

... nothing. Not once have they been used. They appear to have decome a dumping ground for stationary people have no use for and when we've had visitors from other offices who've needed a desk, there's been complaints that only standing desks were available, resulting in them being cranked down (they are adjustable) to normal sitting desk height.

Maybe we need a marketing campagin for them!

Or maybe you need adjustable monitor stands.
    Standing desks are great if you can adjust everything for your length. That is including the height of the monitors.

If you say that it's supposed to be for visitors, the desk must be empty and visitors brings their own laptop to work. Well, let me tell you it's no fun. I can work a full work day standing behind my work standing desk AND relax at home browsing the internet behind my @home standing desk (in fact, now typing while standing. After a full work day standing)
    BUT I can't work more than 30 minutes on my laptop while standing without my neck hurting.

Everyone must have had their ergonomy 101 for seated work, but I bet not many had ever learned how to adjust a standing work space.