I am down to 136 pounds. Why do I still have a belly?

Options
2»

Replies

• KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Look into a bodyweight strength training regimen that you can do without any equipment. And chinups/pullups are both great exercises that will target quite a few muscle groups when done properly.
    136 seems on the small side for a man. Do you lift?

Nah. My plan was to become as thin as possible and then start doing pull ups.

Thats a bad plan. Your new plan should be to start lifting heavier and eat MOAARR. Eat all da foodz n proteenz!
    Start doing weights as well, this helps strengthen the muscles and pull everything in so to speak. As long as your diet is on point as you start to lift weights everything else should firm up and fall into place.

Would doing pull-ups and chin-ups do the same thing? Cause I don't have any lifting equipment, but I do have one of those attachments you can put above the door for pull-ups and chin-ups.

You can still achieve hypertrophy through bodyweight exercises. Yes! Pullups are a fantastic exercise even for people with a lifting program. You dont need a gym to gain lean body mass and burn fat (although lifting heavy is an excellent way). Google hypertrophy / bodyweight exercises. There are tons. This is where I need contingencyplan to finish up with his advice.
    also depends on how tall you are .. 136 on a 4'9" guy will look remarkably different than someone 5'9" .. all other things being equal (no lifting, just cardio)
    Yeah I am 5'7 and a half, lol.

Wow, I'm 5'7' and I weigh 150. I'm a runner so I need to stay pretty light so I mix in strength training between runs. You don't need a lot of equipment for resistance stuff (pull up's, push ups, dips, etc. for upper body) .. and a lot of gym memberships are more reasonably priced now.

What do you guys think of this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0

It's a beginners guide on how to do pull ups.

I personally love Scooby. He is one of a handful of people I subscribe to on YouTube.
  • sockableclaw
    Options

Thats a bad plan. Your new plan should be to start lifting heavier and eat MOAARR. Eat all da foodz n proteenz!
    Start doing weights as well, this helps strengthen the muscles and pull everything in so to speak. As long as your diet is on point as you start to lift weights everything else should firm up and fall into place.

Would doing pull-ups and chin-ups do the same thing? Cause I don't have any lifting equipment, but I do have one of those attachments you can put above the door for pull-ups and chin-ups.

You can still achieve hypertrophy through bodyweight exercises. Yes! Pullups are a fantastic exercise even for people with a lifting program. You dont need a gym to gain lean body mass and burn fat (although lifting heavy is an excellent way). Google hypertrophy / bodyweight exercises. There are tons. This is where I need contingencyplan to finish up with his advice.

He is correct. Start doing your pull ups and push ups now before you lose any more muscle! And maybe some squats and lunges, etc. In my humble opinion you should try to recomp instead of losing more weight. (Gain muscle).

And along with those should I still continue my cardio?
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    I typically don't have the time for a gym session and definitely don't have eq at the house to lift heavy. So I use my own body weight. Dips using a table, push-ups, planks, crunches, lunges. Resistance on both the up and down. Slow steady control. Build your core also with some pilates. Losing weight doesn't drive muscle growth.

Sure it goes faster with heavier weight but use what you got.
  • sockableclaw
    Options
    Look into a bodyweight strength training regimen that you can do without any equipment. And chinups/pullups are both great exercises that will target quite a few muscle groups when done properly.

also depends on how tall you are .. 136 on a 4'9" guy will look remarkably different than someone 5'9" .. all other things being equal (no lifting, just cardio)

Wow, I'm 5'7' and I weigh 150. I'm a runner so I need to stay pretty light so I mix in strength training between runs. You don't need a lot of equipment for resistance stuff (pull up's, push ups, dips, etc. for upper body) .. and a lot of gym memberships are more reasonably priced now.

I personally love Scooby. He is one of a handful of people I subscribe to on YouTube.

Thank God for YT right? If it wasn't for YT I'd probably have to buy a video or something to find out how to start doing pull-ups, haha.
  • sockableclaw
    Options
    I typically don't have the time for a gym session and definitely don't have eq at the house to lift heavy. So I use my own body weight. Dips using a table, push-ups, planks, crunches, lunges. Resistance on both the up and down. Slow steady control. Build your core also with some pilates. Losing weight doesn't drive muscle growth.

Thanks for the advice!
  • KseRz
    Options

Thank God for YT right? If it wasn't for YT I'd probably have to buy a video or something to find out how to start doing pull-ups, haha.

Or you could use really ancient technology and go to a local library and find it in a book! :laugh:
  • KseRz
    Options

Thanks for the advice!

That gentleman gave excellent advice as well. Even though I have been strong in my lifetime I have never felt as strong through my entire body as I have as when I was doing yoga at least once a week. I really should do more of it myself.
  • sockableclaw
    Options

Or you could use really ancient technology and go to a local library and find it in a book! :laugh:

:laugh:

Thanks for the advice!

That gentleman gave excellent advice as well. Even though I have been strong in my lifetime I have never felt as strong through my entire body as I have as when I was doing yoga at least once a week. I really should do more of it myself.

Thanks for your advice as well!
  • sockableclaw
    Options
    In fact, thanks for everyone's advice! Much appreciated.
  • mkollenb
    mkollenb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know one thing I have been working @ loosing weight & I currently have lost a total of 44lbs. since Dec 28. I believe you must add the weight lifting this is the same problem I am incurring right now is my belly fat has not gone away not all of it. I was going to try some weightlifting and see if it helped. I ride a total of 24 miles on my bike daily to & from work so I know I am getting the cardio workout but I believe i must add the lifting in order to loose the belly fat along w/sit ups & stomach excercises that might help. I'm only @ 157lbs my goal is to be 120lbs.
  • sockableclaw
    Options
    I know one thing I have been working @ loosing weight & I currently have lost a total of 44lbs. since Dec 28. I believe you must add the weight lifting this is the same problem I am incurring right now is my belly fat has not gone away not all of it. I was going to try some weightlifting and see if it helped. I ride a total of 24 miles on my bike daily to & from work so I know I am getting the cardio workout but I believe i must add the lifting in order to loose the belly fat along w/sit ups & stomach excercises that might help. I'm only @ 157lbs my goal is to be 120lbs.

Good luck!