Dinner Party Nightmare

Options
We are having friends over for dinner on Saturday and my flatmate is cooking.... She is cooking two different pasta dishes - one will be a veal spagettie one, and the other tortilline in a pastry case!! I can feel the pounds piling on just thinking about it....
How can I try to eat as little as possible without offending her? She knows I'm trying to lose weight but just says 'oh one night wont hurt..' I'm doing well and don't want to gain any thing!

Replies

• Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    Make good food choices during day, do a really good workout, thus allowing you to consume a lot of extra calories without feeling bad about enjoying dinner with your friends.

BTW, she's right: one night won't hurt ... if you stick to "one night" :-) You can always have a treat meal, which doesn't throw you all the way back where you came from, as long as it's once in a while.

Have fun!

MM
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I like to tell people that no, their one night won't hurt, but everyone's will. If I listened to all the people who told me that, I'd be going out to eat with them/eating the cakes they offer/making cookies every other day, and that wouldn't be good. That being said, do exactly what Mamoonie said. Eat an apple before dinner, as well. That will ensure that you're not ravenous when it's time to eat. Have a little pasta, complain about how full you are, and hopefully they won't pressure you to eat more. Enjoy yourself, though. If it is only one night, it really won't be a big deal. Just don't let one night turn into seven. I struggled with this for a while, wouldn't let my husband take me out to places that have no nutritional info, but I finally figured I'm not letting his love of takeaways ruin my goals, so I shouldn't let my food choices ruin his idea of a good time. We can go out to eat. I just need to watch what I order and how much of it I eat. It's good practice for when we're maintaining anyway.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    That one night might even give your metabolism a boost.
  • natsjh
    natsjh Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks all - feel much better about it all already - and you are right as long as its only one night it should it shouldn't make a differnce, and hopefully the metabolism will speed up a little!!
    Good idea about the apple before hand, will do that so I'm not really hungry for dinner! Have lots of housework to do and will go for bit of a run as well hopefully (although its meant to snow here on Sat brrrrr)!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    When I'm about to be surrounded by yummy food, I try and load my plate with tons of salad and then maybe the two small servings of starches. That way your plate looks full. Maybe explain to her the three bite rule.
    First bite is to see if you like it.
    Second bite is to really enjoy it.
    Third bite is to say goodbye.
    Tell her she should only be offended if you don't do the last two :)

Either way, drink lots of water, and most importantly have fun.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I don't like it cold either..
    I snowed a lot here two days ago and it was hard to bike in that.. Now they have plowed the streets but it still sucks to bike in -10 °C..
    A snow covering the earth is beautiful though!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Bring a salad with you or another healthy side option. That way you can fill up on food with less calories, while still being able to enjoy a little pasta as well.