clean eating vs iffym

Options

Replies

• tczeltwanger
    Options
    "Neither is better or worse" isn't the best way to put it. Clean food is better, no question. Yeah, you'll still lose weight eating crap as long as you're in a deficit, but nutritionally speaking, you're depriving your body that way. Think vitamins and minerals
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    People who are clean eaters focus on eating whole foods… lean meats, healthy fats, veggies, fruits. They typically don't eat processed foods like cookies, chips, fast food, etc.

People who follow IIFYM incorporate foods like cookies, chips, and fast food into their diet.

Um. No.

I follow IIFYM, I focus on lean protein, vegetables, healthy fats and fruits.

Cookies, chips, fast food *can* be included in IIFYM, assuming it fits your macros. It doesn't had to be nor do all people do it.

I've done "clean eating" a la Tosca Reno. I still followed IIFYM because of body composition/performance.
    As Achrya said - mindblowing.

ETA - as I've pointed out in countless "clean eating" threads. My diary is no different than the vast majority of those who have open diaries and are self proclaimed "clean eaters". Particularly the ones who do 80/20 clean eating.

Um. I'm well aware of what IIFYM is. I'm also well aware that those who follow IIFYM also eat lean protein, veggies, fruits, and healthy fats. Thought it was common sense for those who read my post to pick up on that but clearly not.

P.s. Your diary is closed so I don't know why you're ranting about those with closed diaries also.

I thought it was common sense that I was pointing out that cookies, chips and fast food aren't necessarily included in IIFYM since your post reads that way. It's a common misconception here I felt it important to address. Clearly it is not.

No my diary is not open. There wouldn't be anything in there right now since I am not actively tracking. But after two years of logging food, I have a pretty good idea of what my diary looks like. I was not ranting about people with closed diaries. I thought it was common sense that I was comparing my own food intake with those who choose to have their diaries open. Since not everyone has theirs open, I can't say I eat the same or similar to all the clean eaters or even most, just the ones with open diaries.
    Because clean eating has so many interpretations, I find it interesting to see what people consider it to be so I often check diaries. At no point did I say a thing about those who choose to keep their diary closed.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    "Neither is better or worse" isn't the best way to put it. Clean food is better, no question. Yeah, you'll still lose weight eating crap as long as you're in a deficit, but nutritionally speaking, you're depriving your body that way. Think vitamins and minerals

What does eating crap have to do with IIFYM or clean eating?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    This is probably the 198,255th time this post has been made here. Lol. But I'll bite. IIFYM means calorie counting. Clean eating means eating foods you believe to be healthy and good for weight loss, but maybe not actually counting your calories. While clean eating is fine, IIFYM is superior because it means you are tracking your calories and doing the math, which will ensure that you do lose weight. Because, at the end of the day, it does not matter what you eat. All that matters is the number of calories. And, you can overeat "clean" foods and gain weight. Doing the math, to ensure you are in a caloric deficit, is the smart way to go.

Clean eating means calorie counting as well. :huh:

No, IIFYM is not superior. Neither is clean eating. One is not better than the other. It's all personal preference.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    People who are clean eaters focus on eating whole foods… lean meats, healthy fats, veggies, fruits. They typically don't eat processed foods like cookies, chips, fast food, etc.

People who follow IIFYM focus on hitting their macros all while incorporating foods like cookies, chips, and fast food into their diet.

*Edited because of the MFP police.*

Actually, most 'clean eaters' diaries and the diaries of IIFYM'ers actually following IIFYM (rather than people's percieved notion of what IIFYM is) will be very similar.

IIFYM is not only about hitting macros.
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This is probably the 198,255th time this post has been made here. Lol. But I'll bite. IIFYM means calorie counting. Clean eating means eating foods you believe to be healthy and good for weight loss, but maybe not actually counting your calories. While clean eating is fine, IIFYM is superior because it means you are tracking your calories and doing the math, which will ensure that you do lose weight. Because, at the end of the day, it does not matter what you eat. All that matters is the number of calories. And, you can overeat "clean" foods and gain weight. Doing the math, to ensure you are in a caloric deficit, is the smart way to go.

No, IIFYM is not superior. Neither is clean eating. One is not better than the other. It's all personal preference.

Yes, what was stated here is in truth the exact opposite.

If you are relying solely on Macro percentages, then exact calorie counting is futile. If you are consuming Oatmeal vs a Snickers bar, the calories are much different, yet...

100 carbs will always be 100 carbs.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

If you are relying solely on Macro percentages, then exact calorie counting is futile. If you are consuming Oatmeal vs a Snickers bar, the calories are much different, yet...

If you are relying solely on macro percentages, then you are not really following IIFYM properly (or at least how it is meant to be followed).
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Not in any definition I've seen. Hence the people who are completely confused when eating clean isn't enough for them to lose weight. You need to also stay in a deficit while eating clean to lose weight.

Objectively speaking, IIFYM done properly would be best for weight loss and health because it requires you to set a calorie and macro/micro target and try to satisfy those. You can choose to do that by eating clean if you like.

Eating clean does not monitor calories, macros, or micros. You can be nutritionally deficient eating clean. It's easy to do if you tend to eat the same things all of the time and have a limited amount of foods you like.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

People who follow IIFYM focus on hitting their macros all while incorporating foods like cookies, chips, and fast food into their diet.

Actually, most 'clean eaters' diaries and the diaries of IIFYM'ers actually following IIFYM (rather than people's percieved notion of what IIFYM is) will be very similar.

I can't even fit most fast food into my diet anymore. It's all veggies and lean meats these days. I get a little mugcake and ice cream at night and some gummy candy before I lift but basically...not a lot of that there 'fast food, chips, and cookies' to be found here.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Not in any definition I've seen. Hence the people who are completely confused when eating clean isn't enough for them to lose weight. You need to also stay in a deficit while eating clean to lose weight.

Objectively speaking, IIFYM done properly would be best for weight loss and health because it requires you to set a calorie and macro/micro target and try to satisfy those. You can choose to do that by eating clean if you like.

Eating clean does not monitor calories, macros, or micros. You can be nutritionally deficient eating clean. It's easy to do if you tend to eat the same things all of the time and have a limited amount of foods you like.

All my friends on here who eat clean also follow IIFYM. I eat clean, stay under my calorie goal, and still hit my macros.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Yes, I am aware that many clean eaters also follow IIFYM.

You should probably tell that to cwolfman.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Who are you talking to? Me or the person above me?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

That was not my point.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

That was not my point.

Don't know what your point is then.

Most clean eaters also follow IIFYM because they are tracking calories, staying under their calorie goal, and still hitting macros.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

That was not my point.

Most clean eaters also follow IIFYM because they are tracking calories, staying under their calorie goal, and still hitting macros.

My point is what I wrote - the focus was not on 'clean eaters' following IIFYM.
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Options

If you are relying solely on macro percentages, then you are not really following IIFYM properly (or at least how it is meant to be followed).

Correct. I'm not familiar with " IIFYM". It is simply a fancy way of marketing Macro ratios for the general public. I'm speaking merely of calculating macro ratios the way fitness experts and bodybuilders have been doing for decades. The basic premise is very simple, everything else is marketing fluff.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

That was not my point.

Then why did you say that if you were to compare the diary of a clean eater and the diary of someone who follows IIFYM, the diaries will be very similar? Sounds like that's what you were getting at to me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

That was not my point.

Then why did you say that if you were to compare the diary of a clean eater and the diary of someone who follows IIFYM, the diaries will be very similar? Sounds like that's what you were getting at to me.

I said that the focus was not on 'clean eater' following IIFYM. The point I was making, is that they would not be that dissimilar - the focus was not one side or the other. You chose to look at it from the point of clean eaters, which was only one side of my comment.

Very few 'clean eaters' eat 'clean all the time, and the people who follow IIFYM properly, will actually eat 'clean' much of the time. [Using clean here to mean minimally processed foods].
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Correct. I'm not familiar with " IIFYM". It is simply a fancy way of marketing Macro ratios for the general public. I'm speaking merely of calculating macro ratios the way fitness experts and bodybuilders have been doing for decades. The basic premise is very simple, everything else is marketing fluff.

If you are not familiar with IIFYM, why are you commenting on it?